Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this intermittent over revving problem for a few months now. (Happens rarely)

So I am at biting point either reversing or at a junction hovering. And the car does this massive over revving thing where it feels like the accelerator has been floored. It revs to around 4500-5000 revs. Horrible

Anyway I've booked it in to be looked at in a couple of weeks time, they are going to run through the computer and have a look.

Has anyone else had similar?

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
That doesn't sound pleasant nor very safe. Something wrong with the engine management or throttle position sensor perhaps. Our dacia duster revs up and down like mad for a few seconds if it's cold and you start it up move it a yard or two shut down. When it restarts next time it does the revving thing but of course that's because it's really not good to do this to a modern cat equipped petrol car. Clears as the engine warms up. Hope they sort it easily for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had this intermittent over revving problem for a few months now. (Happens rarely)

So I am at biting point either reversing or at a junction hovering. And the car does this massive over revving thing where it feels like the accelerator has been floored. It revs to around 4500-5000 revs. Horrible

Anyway I've booked it in to be looked at in a couple of weeks time, they are going to run through the computer and have a look.

Has anyone else had similar?
Have you tried not using throttle at all and just lifting the clutch, I find the mini has like an 'auto rev' function where it like prevents itself from stalking and also rev matches

But for instance even on a incline purely with the clutch the car like coughs and blips the throttle in meaning I just use my left foot

Perhaps as its biting the car is revving automatically as well as yourself?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our relationship is in tatters with Mini over a dangerous random excessive revving fault. We share part of our experience so far.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is rather disturbing and I don’t understand the position BMW/Mini are taking over this. It does not inspire confidence in BMW/Mini being prepared to stand by their products.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am surprised that there hasn’t been a stronger reaction to this recent post from the Mini community. This issue with fuel injection systems misbehaving with potentially catastrophic results is not new or confined to BMW/Mini.

Something similar to this Mini issue was first reported on VW Type 3/4 vehicles 50 years ago in the early 70’s. These were the earliest mass produced vehicles fitted with electronic fuel injection and in some circumstances, for example travelling from a cold desert environment at night into a warmer, moister environment like driving into Las Vegas, the sensors in the fuel injection system sent the wrong message to the control unit. This resulted in cars suddenly accelerating uncontrollably into the vehicle in front, remember that many US cars would be specified with automatic transmission which exacerbated this issue. VW were slow to acknowledge the issue but in the end it was resolved.

Although not a fuel injection issue, the largest denial of an issue with a car must go to Ford with their Pinto model*. There was an issue with the fuel tank splitting in rear end collisions and spilling the contents onto the hot exhaust resulting in catastrophic vehicle fires. Ford originally took the position that it was cheaper to face litigation for damages/death rather than recalling the model, a shameful stance which is worth bearing in mind when dealing with any large corporation.

I do hope that BMW/Mini face up to this problem and find out why it’s happening as well as recompense those affected.

* Case: The Ford Pinto | Business Ethics

Thus, Ford knew that the Pinto represented a serious fire hazard when struck from the rear, even in low-speed collisions. Ford officials faced a decision. Should they go ahead with the existing design, thereby meeting the production timetable but possibly jeopardizing consumer safety? Or should they delay production of the Pinto by redesigning the gas tank to make it safer and thus concede another year of subcompact dominance to foreign companies? Ford not only pushed ahead with the original design but stuck to it for the next six years.

What explains Ford’s decision? The evidence suggests that Ford relied, at least in part, on cost-benefit reasoning, which is an analysis in monetary terms of the expected costs and benefits of doing something. There were various ways of making the Pinto’s gas tank safer. Although the estimated price of these safety improvements ranged from only $5 to $8 per vehicle, Ford evidently reasoned that the increased cost outweighed the benefits of a new tank design.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Not condoning either the dealer or Mini's handling of the situation above.

However, this type of issue is not only happening in BMW group vehicles, a Google search for "engine revs by itself" returns over 1.3 million results and these give different reasons for the issue.

As all manufacturers have to adhere to various legislation including the guidelines for issuing recall notices for safety defects and are subject to penalties for non compliance you would imagine every issue is correctly investigated.

I used to work for a large electrical appliance manufacturer and every notification of a domestic appliance catching or causing a fire MUST be investigated by the manufacturer.

Without knowing the actual stats on the fault and the reasons for it happening it is very difficult to say what the resolution should be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.