Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
presume you mean the pops; you need sport mode on , engine needs to be warm, then usually on lift off -even when changing up a gear sometimes you'll hear it! Mind it was always a bit quiet on my cooper s-(r series) our roadster is a little embarrassing at times !

Reactions: Mau

·
Registered
478 Posts
Are you talking about the Burp on the up change, or the pops and bangs.

For my F55 MCS auto.

Burp on up change come mainly when you change gear with the paddles, when you have 50% or more throttle in sport mode, and the rpm is higher that 4-5,000 rpm.

Pops and bangs again are only sport mode, rev above 5000 rpm, then back off.

I had the JCW kit fitted on Monday, and the pops and bangs and burps have become way more frequent, and much much louder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking about the Burp on the up change, or the pops and bangs.

For my F55 MCS auto.

Burp on up change come mainly when you change gear with the paddles, when you have 50% or more throttle in sport mode, and the rpm is higher that 4-5,000 rpm.

Pops and bangs again are only sport mode, rev above 5000 rpm, then back off.

I had the JCW kit fitted on Monday, and the pops and bangs and burps have become way more frequent, and much much louder.
That's probably why I'm not getting many then. It's only done 400 miles and I'm trying to keep the revs down until it's run in...beginning to wish I'd talked my wife into the JCW now. Although it is her car

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I believe you will get the most "bang" (i.e. pops) with the auto trans in sport mode using the paddles...no doubt! I have a JCW manual & really can't duplicate the crackles & pops that I experienced in the auto trans when using the paddles. Maybe I drive too conservatively but not slow by any means! It's just easier to make the exhaust pop with the automatic in sport. I recall reading this somewhere as well. Now, with effort, I'm sure I can make more noise but it's more work with the manual, at least with stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That's probably why I'm not getting many then. It's only done 400 miles and I'm trying to keep the revs down until it's run in...beginning to wish I'd talked my wife into the JCW now. Although it is her car
You'll definitely hear them more once everything breaks in a little more.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just drive the pants of it us old dodgers manage loads of pops and bangs lol as said get the engine nice and warm into mandatory mode SPORT quick thrust 2nd and third very quick lift off throttle or quick change down , then window has to be down an INCH it's in the Manual

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.