Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skimming the owners manual, 2015 MC hardtop, p 37, bottom right, using the remote control (to lock, unlock doors).

Locking
- Press the button on the remote control

- Locking from outside. Do not lock the vehicle from the outside with people inside the car, as the vehicle cannot be unlocked from the inside without special knowledge.

What does this mean? What special knowledge? Since it has power locks, couldn't the person on the inside simply press the inside power lock button and unlock the car?

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is this with comfort access key fob? My guess is that anything electronic works only if the "smart" key is present or within so many feet of the car, which includes the power locks (nothing is manual anymore!). My hybrid Toyota is like this.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That is a weird thing that the R56 also had. Apparently if the car is locked from the outside, it cannot be unlocked from the inside. Or something equally bizarre. If you cast the proper Harry Potter spell you can escape the evil clutches of MINI Me, evidently. But not everyone has been so initiated.

Some brave forum member should test this and figure out what's going on. I don't have any spare kids, or I'd volunteer. Ladies? Got a semi-useless spouse you'd like to contribute to the cause?

·
Registered
235 Posts
When the doors lock using the button inside or auto lock when the car is moving only the normal lock is activated.
When the car is locked using the remote control deadlocks are also used, these cannot be unlocked using the button inside.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Yes so the crims can't break the drivers window and simply press the unlock button or pull up one of the lock knobs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's called deadlocking and has been around since the 1990s.

You can disable it by pressing the lock button again within 10 seconds of the first press (key fob or door button with comfort access).

The interior light will re-illuminate to confirm the deadlocking has been disabled. This also disables the motion alarm to prevent anyone inside from setting it off.

·
Registered
998 Posts

You can disable it by pressing the lock button again within 10 seconds of the first press (key fob or door button with comfort access).

The interior light will re-illuminate to confirm the deadlocking has been disabled. This also disables the motion alarm to prevent anyone inside from setting it off.
And enables you to take the car on a ferry without the alarm going off constantly, although weirdly this also assumes there are no theives on ferries :eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
And enables you to take the car on a ferry without the alarm going off constantly, although weirdly this also assumes there are no theives on ferries :eek:
They wouldn't get very far if they attempted to steal it on a ferry!

although they could just be after just-yer-basic holidaymaker's vuitton tote bag full of gold candelabras casually left part open on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When the doors lock using the button inside or auto lock when the car is moving only the normal lock is activated.
When the car is locked using the remote control deadlocks are also used, these cannot be unlocked using the button inside.

I tried locking someone in the car yesterday using the button on the door but they were still able to open the with the inside handles.
Is there a setting for deadlocking?

thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
I tried locking someone in the car yesterday using the button on the door but they were still able to open the with the inside handles.
Is there a setting for deadlocking?

thanks
The button on the door only sets the basic lock as per when the car gets above a certain speed, these can be unlocked by pulling the handle.
The deadlocks can only be applied using the remote or the key on the outside of the car, these cannot be unlocked with the handle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I used the buttons I had the key with me outside the car and I also moved away from the car to make sure...the door handle still worked from the inside.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When I used the buttons I had the key with me outside the car and I also moved away from the car to make sure...the door handle still worked from the inside.
Did you try to lock the doors with the button on the key fob.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am sure I did but I will try later when I have someone to lock inside!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
My previous car did this (disabled all electronics except for the alarm/motion sensor) so you couldn't open the door from inside once you locked it from the outside with the key, however I have done some tests and even do the manual has that warning my brother has manage to open the car using the door handle every time, all my tests started with him inside the car and me locking the car by pressing once the lock button on the key fob, the tests that I did were:

- I stay near the car, he's able to open the car using the door handle and the alarm didn't even make a sound :|

- I go away, leave the key in my room and return, now the motion sensor detects him and the alarm starts making noise, he opens the door again without a problem.

- Again I go away and leave the key in my room, I return, now the motion sensor hasn't kick in and the door handle allows him to open the door, the alarm starts making noise.

So at least the alarm works if someone opens the door without the key fob near but so far I haven't manage to lock someone in like it suppose to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The deadlocks can only be applied using the remote or the key on the outside of the car, these cannot be unlocked with the handle.
Well tried all possible combinations but it seems that my Mini doesn't have deadlocks! :(

·
Registered
235 Posts
It sounds like certain markets don't have deadlocks as mine definitely has.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is the only thing I dislike about Mini....some cars do, some cars don't and you don't know until you own it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts