Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a shout out for all F56 JCW owners to post up their Initial thoughts and then after a few months :D

Look forward to some reviews ans opinions as been quite in this section of late.

All reviews welcome from small to large ones with pic's videos etc, this may help undecided customers decide:D

Over to our F56 JCW owner members and any owners that are viewing the site sign in and say hello and don't be scarred to post up your thoughts here it will be well received by the members

·
Registered
49 Posts
picked up my new jcw on the 27th April and I always smile when I see her.
I put on too many bits ( say's the wife ) and as the days go by, I am finding all new gizmo's that I forgot I ordered. which makes me smile:) more. I love
the start up of the jcw, also the way she drive's and having all that grunt under
the bonnet. if you are thinking about getting a jcw, just remember the more
you are thinking about it the longer you have to wait for that permanent
tattooed smile it puts on your face.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
504 Posts
There isn't alot that can be said.
My JCW is one of the only cars I have owned that I REALLY enjoy driving. It's not just transport from A-B. It's a driving experience that goes past B all the way through to Z and beyond.

You can dial it up for that extra fun factor or really dial it down to just cruise along with. You can dart in and out of traffic or just be part of the lemmings.
You can keep adding options to the car to make it even more special or leave it as standard and still be very impressed with it.
The car always turns heads even more than mine and i'm always looking out for other proud mini owners and give them a wave (i'm not a wierdo - honestly)

For me, I have only tinted the windows as a 3rd party option but looking at possible chip and exhaust. Exhaust for an even bigger noise effect and the chip or re-tune for that slightly more punch. Still looking into a de-chrome look but still very happy with the chrome and maybe a roof decal but still very happy it currently sits.

If anyone asks if I had any doubts with my purchase, my answer is still no.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I picked my new JCW up back in March having had a MCS some years ago and firstly the improvements generally in the F56 are huge (excluding the door rubbers scratching my pillar) but that aside its the feel and driving experience it returns.

That said, the feel and the driving experience will be available in ALL the mini range as its a base characteristic with the MCS dialling this up and the JCW dialling it up even more however you have to be driving more enthusiastically feel the benefits.

The brakes are epic which is one of the main differences with the JCW there's no escaping that.

Yes there's more power as standard however most of you after more power know how to get yours into the same bhp ball park. (Some engine components are different in the JCW though)

I love my mini and as I'm an enthusiastic drive quite abit of the time, this is why I wanted the full on model they had to offer so I could build on that.

Mine is pretty maxed options wise as I got a deal at the time (didn't get rear camera)

Not really modded too much as only 2 months in however have done some as below.

Remap to 279bhp (was told 292 with time)
Eibach springs
Eibach spacers
Black rear diffuser
3M film to protect against door rubbers :)

Currently I'm about to finish welding a custom air intake when I get time which I'll make sure has a good air feed.

Other mods planned for June also :)

I'll finish on mentioning were all here as we love the Mini, whether it's brand heritage experience standing out or all of them and more.

For me the JCW boosted all those and matches the experience I was looking for however don't be put off the other options in the range as they might match what you want :)

Thanks for reading sorry it's somewhat lengthy

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow what a great start to the thread , thanks for taking the time to post up your reviews and even better with the pics, I will know enjoy reading all your thoughts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Image1464077064.512015.jpg Image1464077078.557312.jpg Image1464077093.238815.jpg

This is my new friend. First new Mini for me. Bought it a year old so decent spec and big saving. Love it, love it, love it! What else can I say. Sports aerial to come. No plans after that. Not yet anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Great automobile, not perfect, but still my favorite mini. My biggest and really only complaint is the absence of an actual dipstick which I consider to be an onerous mistake. It is by far the most powerful stock mini ever built with superb handling and a very comfortable ride. The 2.0 scrolled turbo gives real teeth to the wonderful B48 engine, the car is a twisty monster!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is my third Mini. I have had 2 S's in the past and my new JCW and while I loved all three of them, this one is the best in so many ways.

Most of the reasons have already been said by others. The best way I can sum up my feelings on the car are this: it is fast and fun when you want it to be, and civilized when you need it to be.

·
Registered
608 Posts
So, Hurbert II is fast approaching his first birthday so I thought it might be a good time to provide an account of our time together.

Quality - Well, all in all I've found that the F56 is very well screwed together, better that the R56 which was already "very good". Sure, some people have had their problems but we've not had any quality issues. The "paint rub" problem hasn't appeared because I put some protection (Black vinyl) in place as soon as I knew about it. No rattles, squeaks and all the "features" function well. I have also found that the paint is proper BMW quality this time, Hard as nails, so swirls or hazing, impressed.

Experience - Well, he never fails to make me smile. Zooming about, popping and banging and embarrassing some "big boys" along the way is what the JCW is all about. Long runs (we've done a few) have gone well with minimal tiredness from the ride (remembering we also have an S8 makes this more impressive for me!) and a weekend trip can easily be handled by the boot/trunk space, particularly with the extended setting. He's been to Normandy and Germany as well as trips between Belgium and UK and has not let us down. In Germany we "maxxed" him on the Autobahn and boy, for a wee fella, he sure does shift! As a side note, the R56 JCW used to go a bit "floaty" at very high speeds, that's gone now in the F56 and is a great relief!
Of course the other part of the MINI Experience is the "cool" that comes with the brand. What I like most is the way people look at him. Never any jealousy to speak of, normally big grins and nods of approval. You get the feeling that you're making people happy just by being around in your wee stripy monster and that makes me happy!

Performance - He's quick, he's never going to be "very fast" but that's not the point. 0-30 with the auto box is great, perfect for Belgian Roundabouts, the 50-90 is awesome, hauls really well mid range and very capable on the highway. The run flats took an age to bed in, but now they're fine, sharp turn in, with little or no understeer when handled correctly. They're no Pilot Sports, but they'll do for now! The biggest "plus" os what happens when you turn off the traction control. He really comes alive like a proper FWD maniac should, you can really feel the diff working it's magic and bending physics like mini's always have!

Summary - Well, you can call this a "5 star" review as that's how I feel. If you compare a car like a JCW on practicality and cost, it's always going to drop a star or maybe two, but nobody buys a car like this because they're a) Looking to use it to rebuild a house or b) on a tight budget so it's pretty irrelevant. If you want a little maniac to make you grin, this is the car for you! If you don't, go buy a Fiesta or an A1...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have had my JCW ten months now and i love it,love it ,love it.I have had many cars over the years and this is by far the greatest ,the grin factor whe3n i drive it is 100%.
With the Remus exhaust,KW coilovers etc it is an amazing car to drive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well I was going to post this as a new thread but thought it fitted in better here.

I'm really pleased to say that after 4 months of waiting for my BRG JCW, it finally arrived for me to collect on the 31st May. The actual collection was a bit of a toned down event because I was returning the dealers demo car which they had kindly loaned me for 2 months (whilst they re-ordered my car due to a factory hiccup), and I had asked that my car was not cleaned or valeted to ensure it didn't get any scratches or swirls from the dealer. This made it less presentable for the salesman who wished he could have seen it cleaned up but never-the-less respected my wishes.
Even my wife and kids, who had suffered in the lead up to the collection, didn't join me, instead they went shopping and I had to pick them up afterwards!
;)
Anyhow, I have driven about 400 miles now and I'm extremely happy with the spec I chose, which differed to the dealer’s demo car in that theirs was an auto, and I chose manual this time around. My last car, a BMW 125D was the Sports auto with paddles, and whilst great in town/cities, it was not so involving on the open roads even when paddle shifting. So I thought go for the manual and live with the compromise in traffic. The JCW manual is a nice slick shifter, no so slick as my wife's F55 SD, but I'm hoping that is just because of the 10k miles it has on my car, and loosen up more with age.
I am trying to run the car in gently, keeping below 4500rpm, but it's very tempting to overtake now and then and when I do I'm watching the road not the rev counter so not sure if I've actually exceeded the self-set limit! However there is ample power for easy overtakes, and if I stretch the car fully I'll be doing unnecessary speeds for the actual manoeuvre. It'll be a different story when I've got the road to myself though.
>:D
The other main difference to the demo car is the Variable dampers. I wrote a question about these in a thread before I ordered, not really knowing the difference, and there was some talk of them being 10% harder/softer when in Sport or Mid/Green respectively. I've actually found them to be softer in Mid/Green and marginally softer in Sport mode, which I realise is not as per Mini's description but that is what the butt meter is saying. Oh and they are both on 18's with runflats, the demo car had Dunlop Sportmaxx's, mine has Pirelli P7 Cinturato's, so there could be a slight difference there, but you'd expect my new tyres to be firmer until bedded in wouldn't you???
I'm very keen to swap the tyres for some Michelin Super Sports when funds allow to reduce the road noise, improve grip under cornering and braking and give a softer ride, lets hope they deliver all that. I've not pushed the Pirelli's but if they're anything like the Dunlop's on the demo car they aren't grippy enough for the car imo.

Options I have is the Media XL, fortunately just got in before the Japan debacle. Excellent HK sound, folding mirrors, rear park sensors and the Chilli pack.
Mod-wise, I've added mudflaps so that the car doesn't get as mud splattered as my wife's F55, small though the front ones are, they'll do something to help stop it. I'm also planning to add the roof spoiler aero tips in red, and looking at the concept car bumper stickers from Luxemini.
I've also detailed the car myself with an orbital polisher and Menzerna, Gtechniq CSL and EXO ceramic coating, C4 for the bumper trim, C5 for the wheels/exhaust. This has left the paintwork very slick and hopefully easier to keep clean and looking like new.
I'll keep you posted as she loosens up and the mpg (avg 35mpg currently) settles down, but not too far down!

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mod-wise, I've added mudflaps so that the car doesn't get as mud splattered as my wife's F55, small though the front ones are, they'll do something to help stop it.
Which mud flaps did you get? I heard that the official mini ones do not fit the JCW and are only for the Cooper and CooperS?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am actually a #little # disapointed with the perforamance coming from the Cooper S. There's not much in it until you get the revs about 4,000rpm. So on a day to day basis, it feels no quicker. In fact, the turbo lag is worse at low revs than on the Cooper S.

It is undoubtedly fun and I love the performance at the top end but it is not considerably faster than my old car. It definately couldn't keep pace with my friend's Golf R on a recent trip to Wales.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Which mud flaps did you get? I heard that the official mini ones do not fit the JCW and are only for the Cooper and CooperS?
Actually they are the Cooper S ones, front and back, the parts guy at Mini was happy to take them back if they didn't fit so I took a punt and they were fine, no compromises anywhere. Here's a pic of the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually they are the Cooper S ones, front and back, the parts guy at Mini was happy to take them back if they didn't fit so I took a punt and they were fine, no compromises anywhere. Here's a pic of the rear.
Were these the official Mini Mudflaps shown below?

I've just ordered a set despite them allegedly not fitting the JCW kit, as the chap at Cotswold BMW said they'd take them back if they didn't fit... Worth a go, especially with the two stone chips I've recently found as a result of the wheels kicking up grit/stones off the road!

Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
266 Posts
Were these the official Mini Mudflaps shown below?

I've just ordered a set despite them allegedly not fitting the JCW kit, as the chap at Cotswold BMW said they'd take them back if they didn't fit... Worth a go, especially with the two stone chips I've recently found as a result of the wheels kicking up grit/stones off the road!

Thanks
Sam
they fit absolutely fine, one of the first things I fit myself to my JCW. From memory the clips are quite tough to snap on there, prepare for your fingers to get sore :)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
We have our JCW 2020 for a week now and absolutely LOVE it!

May not be to most objective feedback as a Mini lover but...

The only thing I don't get is standard stance of the JCW. These wheels look way to much inside witch gives it a narrow look from the front or back. Yes you can put spacers ( not legal in Belgium...) but why do they make it like that? Or may be offer a rim with a different ET value to fix it (if that's an option?, not a mecanic).

For the rest...don't hesitate, you'll have a smile on your face every ride, guaranteed😁

Azoutje

1 - 18 of 18 Posts