Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has some tips for painting external bodywork.

Recently my rear bumper cover came off explained in this post here: http://www.minif56.com/forum/817-mini-jcw-f56-forum/59857-rear-bumper-tow-cover.html

If Mini cannot replace the part then I will most likely buy it online and then paint it myself. The part is small and I'm considering borrowing my friend's paint spray gun (which he uses on toy miniatures) and purchasing paint and clear coat. The part is small and would probably be a great introduction for learning how to spray paint and clear coat.

Any tips on where to aquire BMW paint and a good clear coat to use?
The paint I need is called BMW-MINI-C19 - Rebel Green

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
In the uk many auto factors and halfords will mix you a can. Plenty on ebay do this too.this will be a better match than buying from bmw. Check they use computerised mixing tech and buy a rattle can one of paint one of clear coat. Then light fine sand the part followed by a primer in the correct colur eg grey. Then at least four light coats of colour in a warm room dust free with ten or 15 mins between coats so its tacky then the same with the clear coat . the more coats the better tbh then leave to dry for a couple of weeks,seriously the longer the better and in a warm env speeds the curing and then t cut till beautifully smooth and polish. If too cold the clear coat may craze. If its very orange peely the more coats of clear coat you put on the more you can t cut off to smoothness.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Sorry see you're in oz .try 100% feedback ebayers for custom mixed paint. I had paint from hong kong and ireland and have been mighy impressed with the match!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I read your other posting, Why isn't this defective part not under warranty ? Why do you have to jump thru hoops to get the part, the paint, piant it, and clear coat it ? This should not be your responsibility ?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I read your other posting, Why isn't this defective part not under warranty ? Why do you have to jump thru hoops to get the part, the paint, piant it, and clear coat it ? This should not be your responsibility ?
I have just taken my car to Mini service today and they have taken photographs and confirmed with me that it doesn't appear that I have been in any kind of accident. They are now going to submit the photos and warranty claim to Mini Australia who decides whether this part will be replaced under warranty. I really hope so because the service guy quoted over $100 to replace the part if it is deemed not covered under warranty.

I do understand why they do this, to prevent people accidentally damaging their car and then trying to get it fixed for free under warranty, but in my case I don't know what else I can do to prove I wasn't in an accident apart from the glaring obvious blemish-free and damage-free bumper which is only missing the tow hook cover. They said it generally takes a couple of weeks for a reply from Mini Aus :(

Reactions: hotrunner

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the uk many auto factors and halfords will mix you a can. Plenty on ebay do this too.this will be a better match than buying from bmw. Check they use computerised mixing tech and buy a rattle can one of paint one of clear coat. Then light fine sand the part followed by a primer in the correct colur eg grey. Then at least four light coats of colour in a warm room dust free with ten or 15 mins between coats so its tacky then the same with the clear coat . the more coats the better tbh then leave to dry for a couple of weeks,seriously the longer the better and in a warm env speeds the curing and then t cut till beautifully smooth and polish. If too cold the clear coat may craze. If its very orange peely the more coats of clear coat you put on the more you can t cut off to smoothness.
Great painting advice, thank you! :D

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Lets hope you dont need it and mini come up with the goods!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts