Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second post regarding this topic. I originally incorrectly posted it to the wrong forum! Newbie mistake I suppose, anyway here is my question again.

We participate in a lot of rallies and other events that involve close following and in conditions where there are rocks and other bits of whatever that cause dings in the paint on the front end and the engine compartment hood and the side mirrors. A bra will help prevent these on the nose, but not the top of the hood, or mirrors. I am considering using clear sprayon plasti dip or goop to prevent this. We have the JCW decal strips on the hood and the red and checkerboard mirrors that we are considering spraying this on before the events as well. I plan to remove the sprayon covering after the events. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of finish protection and the pros and cons of doing this. I didn't do this with the R 56 and there were a lot of dings in the hood when I was ready to trade the car and that impacted the value. I thought this might prevent that.

I am not interested in the permanent products, Clear bra, 3M, et. al. for a lot of reasons, predominantly expense.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I guess stone chips are a hazard of rallying? I would expect any sort of permanent barrier such as a wrap would incur quite an expense.

Is this your actual car you're rallying??? Maybe 'invest' in another motor that you're not so particular of?

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
....I'm a member of another forum where one member rallies a MINI. Perhaps worth joining up there to ask him what he recommends?

Scottishminis.com ....look for 'Martin'......

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess stone chips are a hazard of rallying? I would expect any sort of permanent barrier such as a wrap would incur quite an expense.

Is this your actual car you're rallying??? Maybe 'invest' in another motor that you're not so particular of?
Yes, although it is a favorite street car as well. We run it stock as it provides all the performance I require and it is decked out appearance-wise, therefore, we want to protect the exterior as much as possible to keep it looking good. A lot of the group we run with are looking to do the same. Spray it with plasti dip or some other brand heavily prior to the event and peel it off afterwards. Our next scheduled event is the MOTD 2015 and while it is on public roads there are a lot of spirited drives on roads in the mountains which equates to a lot of small stones being kicked up. Our R56 JCW had a plethora of rock dings on the front of the car and even some on the windscreen and top. We also occasionally track the car and these events usually result in more dings. I am going to try it regardless and see what happens. It is not a daily driver per se, but we drive it frequently and to and from the events.

·
Registered
407 Posts
A lot of guys who AutoX or drive to shows just use blue painters tape on their cars. The Painters tape doesn't stick to the cars paint and comes right off.

Plus its not terribly expensive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.