Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Is terrible on these cars, any slight touch or poor washing technique marks the paint. Awful quality I think.
What do you base your opinion on?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I find the opposite, "german" paint is superb, not as hard as Audi's granted, but it's still pretty tough. Our R56 JCW looked great after 3 years, barely a mark, swirl or haze on it, and it was black.

What's the problem? What's happened?

·
Super Moderator
8,741 Posts
Agreed ours are great. The finish is amazingly smooth.it's one of the most advanced paint shops apparently and the body shell is dusted with ostrich feathers before painting. So they told us on the factory tour. We had a dent remover out to our last mini due to my vacuum falling on it and he said in his opinion minis were the best painted cars short of hand finished motors like rolls! He sees a lot of cars. The vo is doing well with two teeny stone chips on the bonnet so far.1 year in. But I shouldn't have said that. The windscreen on minis on the other hand take a real battering.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I have to agree that the Paint/Clear Coat is very thin on a Mini. I remember the 1st week when i got the car i cleaned the car out and the plastic hose of the vacuum cleaner scratched my paint. :( If you have you car detailed you better find a Detailer that knows what he/she is doing because if not you have more buffer marks in the paint than before like it happen to my Mini when i picked the car up on delivery day.

Nothing beats a Glasurit Paint Job on an Opel Manta.:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have not had issues with any of our MINIs.

Perhaps you are using incorrect techniques or products.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting topic. I havent had any issues with scuffs or marks, but I have noticed some light orange peel in a couple spots. Nothing I want to have the car repainted for, but still irritating.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Hat, I do not know how thick the paint should be but it seems too me that the paint scratches real easy compare to other cars that i drove like on my Mercedes SLK for an example. It seems that every time something hits my Mini there is a new spot where the primer shines thru. Maybe all water based paint is now like that.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes paint very thin one for cost two for weight but still ok we machine polished ours on getting it untouched from dealers paint was ok and less peal than on Beemer
But I believe there have been some paint issues but that's not just mini though

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You really absolutely cannot beat Glasurit! :) New paints that are water based may be part of any modern day paint issue. As for orange peel, I'd be a bit concerned if my new car didn't have at least some slight orange peel. Factory paint jobs simply do not produce custom car-like paint jobs where paint coats are "wet sanded"...it just doesn't happen on most new cars.

I have to agree that the Paint/Clear Coat is very thin on a Mini. I remember the 1st week when i got the car i cleaned the car out and the plastic hose of the vacuum cleaner scratched my paint. :( If you have you car detailed you better find a Detailer that knows what he/she is doing because if not you have more buffer marks in the paint than before like it happen to my Mini when i picked the car up on delivery day.

Nothing beats a Glasurit Paint Job on an Opel Manta.:D

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Super Moderator
8,741 Posts
The new water based paints they now have to use due e eco European banning cellulose etc are softer and I'm sure I read somewhere mini paint is quite thin due to their advanced undercoat process but I could be wrong..no orange peel though, smooth as silk.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've been washing my car weekly (with expensive gear and experience of detailing for around 3-4 years now)...

And it's COVERED in scratches. I can't believe it.

My car is Midnight Black and from afar looks fantastic when clean, but close up the paint is a real mess. I'm going to pay £100 for a corrective polish and then I'll seal with a stronger wax than I normally use, but at 3 months old it shouldn't be this bad should it!? To be fair it wasn't amazing on day one. I question how Mini wash their cars ready for customer collection.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Yes, the days of oil based lacquers and enamels are over due to environmental issues and the paint quality has deteriorated for the mass market autos. That said, the finish on our corvette seems to be holding up significantly better than the finish on the mini. We put this mini into service November of last year and it already has more imperfections than the finish on the the corvette with 20,000 + miles on it since November of 2013. That said, the corvette was more than twice the price of the mini, and I enjoying driving the mini more and take it places I don't the corvette. All in all it is a superb automobile value.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
@bjblyth ....i would seriously consider a professionally applied ceramic coating on your Midnight black.....more expensive but you're less likely to scratch the paintwork using normal washing after that (colour is a serious consideration when i buy......never bought/owned black for this very reason). Red an also be a nightmare.

Reactions: jaep1911

·
Registered
206 Posts
Got a ceramic coat detail (car pro cquartz) on mine when I bought it in December. It's holding up well so far and I've used car pro reload to top it up. I'll be interested to see if it still holds up so well in a few more months - mines rebel green so shows up swirls like buggery!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.