Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a couple of months since I was last on here, very very hectic change in circumstances with a new job 90 miles away from my front door and a JCW to do the near daily commute in......

So Parrpy the JCW isn't quite as clean as it used to be, frankly I've given up. He got a proper waxing at Christmas and he'll have to wait until Easter really before he gets another. He was waxed properly with some Dodo Juice stuff (smells lovely) so it should keep him shiney and protected underneath. No longer working from my home office means time is just two tight at the weekends to justify a 2 - 3 hour wash routine. Anyway, I think he looks meaner when he's dirty.

Fuel..... well, you've seen my MPG posts before no doubt, but it has been BRILLIANT. I leave early to miss the traffic, I cruise at 70mph for about 80 miles and there is about 5 miles of traffic / A / B roads either end of the motorway bit. And a about 8 miles of 50mph roadworks on the M5, so around 65mph average.

Get this - I'm getting around 48mpg in a 2.0 Turbo JCW. Hit 52.9mpg last night on the way home. And that was with a bit of 6pm traffic at Bristol M4/M5 interchange. Weird, it seems to get better and better, does the ECU somehow adapt to a different driving style over time?

Anyway, I'm forecasting about 30k/miles per year and the thought has crossed my mind to swap over to a good old Diesel 220d or even go with a second hand Ford Focus 'Station Car' or something, but at 50mpg, it will not make enough difference to warrant it. And the seats are so comfortable, the stereo (HK) running Spotify keeps me awake and as its only ever me in it, it still absolutely hits the spot.

PCP is going to take a bashing (at 30k miles a year!!!), but hey ho, and the fuel tank is annoyingly small, filling up nearly twice a week and only getting 420 - 440 miles.

But he still gives me goose bumps with the exhaust flaps open in sport for a thrashing at the weekend to blow the cobwebs out >:D

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good right up. You will only suffer on the PCP if you go the whole term. If you trade in early, which sounds likely it won't matter, as the dealer will give you a price based on mileage/condition.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I suppose the mpg could be down to the 'good clear out' thing and or being properly run in and at optimum? You're doing really well! I've always said bigger engines are better for this sort of journey-little engines for short town things but a powerful engine running well within it's limits on a motorway makes complete sense-all this downsizing isnt necessarily the right thing-as mazda seem to know! Good for the emissions test though!

Reactions: Sushinurse

·
Registered
436 Posts
this is very pleasing indeed, as i find my Cooper S getting better and better.
i am averaging 500miles a week in myn and i agree with all what you have said. The HK is amazing and i took the Auto so it just laps up the miles.
My PCP will also take a bashing considering its on 10k miles a year.. paha but who cares YOLO and all that. These new F56 are brilliant.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Been a couple of months since I was last on here, very very hectic change in circumstances with a new job 90 miles away from my front door and a JCW to do the near daily commute in......

So Parrpy the JCW isn't quite as clean as it used to be, frankly I've given up. He got a proper waxing at Christmas and he'll have to wait until Easter really before he gets another. He was waxed properly with some Dodo Juice stuff (smells lovely) so it should keep him shiney and protected underneath. No longer working from my home office means time is just two tight at the weekends to justify a 2 - 3 hour wash routine. Anyway, I think he looks meaner when he's dirty.

Fuel..... well, you've seen my MPG posts before no doubt, but it has been BRILLIANT. I leave early to miss the traffic, I cruise at 70mph for about 80 miles and there is about 5 miles of traffic / A / B roads either end of the motorway bit. And a about 8 miles of 50mph roadworks on the M5, so around 65mph average.

Get this - I'm getting around 48mpg in a 2.0 Turbo JCW. Hit 52.9mpg last night on the way home. And that was with a bit of 6pm traffic at Bristol M4/M5 interchange. Weird, it seems to get better and better, does the ECU somehow adapt to a different driving style over time?

Anyway, I'm forecasting about 30k/miles per year and the thought has crossed my mind to swap over to a good old Diesel 220d or even go with a second hand Ford Focus 'Station Car' or something, but at 50mpg, it will not make enough difference to warrant it. And the seats are so comfortable, the stereo (HK) running Spotify keeps me awake and as its only ever me in it, it still absolutely hits the spot.

PCP is going to take a bashing (at 30k miles a year!!!), but hey ho, and the fuel tank is annoyingly small, filling up nearly twice a week and only getting 420 - 440 miles.

But he still gives me goose bumps with the exhaust flaps open in sport for a thrashing at the weekend to blow the cobwebs out >:D

It can be done.

I got 60mpg from my cooper the other day at regular speeds without being overly careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised getting 63mpg out of mine going from Liverpool to Plymouth back in Novemeber, absolutely amazing in my eyes

Yes the SD guys might be getting better and with a remap would rival a JCW but do you get the noise, or brakes, or badge...nope! Fantastic would love to see what a remapped JCW would do...watch this space!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
A UK gallon must be considerably larger than a US gallon. On multiple 4 hour plus trips running anywhere from 55mph to 75 mph I have never topped 35mpg. I stay in sport mode with exhaust flap open and use cruise control for the majority of the trips.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am getting considerably crappier mileage than you guys. At around 2400 miles, the best I've seen on a tank was my second one with around 27mpg. Most of my daily driving is non-highway and I'm getting mostly 22.5-25mpg.
On a couple of 100 mile road trips with a bike on my roofrack and 75-85mph, it's been around 25mpg.
My '06 R53 got abysmal mileage, 22 on average, 25 at best. All of my four R56's including two JCW's got 27-32mpg average. I'm a little disappointed in the new one (although I didn't buy it to sip gas) but maybe it will get better over time. The tiny gas tank is an annoyance too.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
A UK gallon must be considerably larger than a US gallon. On multiple 4 hour plus trips running anywhere from 55mph to 75 mph I have never topped 35mpg. I stay in sport mode with exhaust flap open and use cruise control for the majority of the trips.
It is......1.0 Imperial gallon is equal to about 1.2 US gallons

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've got to be in green mode too and I know you all hate it, so leave it in sport on the sliproad and switch over when you're up to cruising speed ;)

I reckon it will get better as it gets warmer / drier, with no headlights and wipers to power, less stress on the aircon to keep the windows demisted and no extra tyre resistance on wet roads. I love England in the winter.

What a great engine though, real 50mpg potential and it sounds so flipping mean in 3rd approaching the redline with the flaps open on the exhaust.......

JB - absolutely, ran it in properly with a bit of care and patience and now just give it the beans every few days or so to clear it out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
35 UK MPG. Daily 10K journey to work, straight up to 60mph for 10min, then bit of town, but moving, all gentle throttle.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
29.1 mpg according to the computer this morning. 100% Sport mode, city driving mostly, blasting off from stop lights and cruising in 4th gear at 45 mph. Manual transmission. Volcanic Orange.

Smiles Per Gallon? Approximately 1,000.
Amen!! :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That's awesome, I only do around town driving really - very rarely a long run on the motorway and I only managed 400 miles in a tank of diesel so that's pretty good going for a petrol!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maaan that is impressive, I'm getting about 36MPG on my Clubman Cooper at moment, mainly because I am pootling around town a lot, I see over 40 on a run though, so I'm just needing excuses to get really out and about!

I have to say I haven't really played with sport mode much just yet, all this damp weather is putting me off getting too lairy!

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Alas I can report that my Clubman JCW doesn't do frugal. It's heavier and has the 4WD system, but it's mainly down to all the fun that can be had driving in manual....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yep, but that only extrapolates to 42mpg at best for me. Nowhere near 50.
In sport on my daily commuted i am settling with 26mpg, i dont care to feather the pedal. In Mid im looking at a steady 30-31. The best ice seen at all so far is 38 on open road middle of the night roadtrip. My NM module hasnt made too much difference in those fig, maybe 1-2 MPG. All in all still better than my M35 which was 19mpg all day every day.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Smiles per mile trump (No presidential pun intended.) miles per gallon for me. I love the little beast and the power, growl, and personality of MITEY 2 are not mini! The thumbs up from other motorists and the occasional pedestrian are an added bonus. Minis are a gallon of fun in a pint sized car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts