Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my older mini there was an airbag switch operated with the door lock key on the passenger door trim (visible when the door was open)
Just collected by 2020 F54 Clubman and there is no switch anywhere, so it looks as if it is no longer allowable to fit a child/baby car seat in the front.
The manual still says to turn off the passenger airbag but does not tell you how ?
Any one advise on this ?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
On my older mini there was an airbag switch operated with the door lock key on the passenger door trim (visible when the door was open)
Just collected by 2020 F54 Clubman and there is no switch anywhere, so it looks as if it is no longer allowable to fit a child/baby car seat in the front.
The manual still says to turn off the passenger airbag but does not tell you how ?
Any one advise on this ?
Have the moved it into the Glovebox?

I think the Countryman is now self sensing, so fitting an isofix child seat will automatically disable it. Speak to the dealer if its not clear in the manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the moved it into the Glovebox?

I think the Countryman is now self sensing, so fitting an isofix child seat will automatically disable it. Speak to the dealer if its not clear in the manual.
Checked the glovebox - nothing
Thought about auto sensing as there is still a passenger warning light in the headliner centre console (never lights)
So I tried putting a 10kg weight on the passenger front seat but it did not come on
I dont have an Isofix child seat at present as I only need to use one when the Grandchildren are dropped off together with the seat (sadly not happened for a while)
Good point though I will try this on the next opportunity

·
Registered
20 Posts
From the US owners manual

Active front-seat passenger airbags can injure a child in a child restraint system when the airbags are activated. There is a risk of injury. Make sure that the frontseat passenger airbags are deactivated and that the PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF indicator light lights up. After installing a child restraint system in the front passenger seat, make sure that the front, knee and side airbags on the front passenger side are deactivated. Deactivate the front-seat passenger airbags automatically, refer to page 160:

Page 160:
-Detected child restraint systems-
The system generally detects children seated in a child restraint system, particularly in child restraint systems required by NHTSA at the point in time when the vehicle was manufactured. After installing a child restraint system, make sure that the indicator light for the front-seat passenger airbags lights up. This indicates that the child restraint system has been detected and the front-seat passenger airbags are not activated.

It isn't asking you to deactivate them. It is asking you to ensure they deactivate automatically.
If you still have questions, it sounds like it would be best to speak to your dealer, and they can run through these things with you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just found the same problem with my 2020 Countryman ! After having our grandkids dropped off !! Tried just fastening the front seat belt with no one sat there hoping to see the light on the dash saying the airbag was off but nope, nothing !! Rang our dealer but could only speak to sales people and they didn't have a clue either, quite condescending too tbh til I put them straight in no uncertain terms.
Very frustrating 😕 😑

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.