Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, just curious on peoples view on the sports suspension? Ive got it coming on my S and super excited to see what its like.

·
Registered
406 Posts
As per the title, just curious on peoples view on the sports suspension? Ive got it coming on my S and super excited to see what its like.
Speaking from experience, I have it on my Non-S and the SO has the active suspension, I like it. I like that fact that it's ALWAYS there, and that the stiffness is quite considerable compared to the active dampening. The car feels more planted and solid, but it feels a bit harsher to passengers. The SO says my car feels sturdier than hers when driving.

I like it a lot

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the USA after the '15 model, the only way to get the Sport Suspension is on the JCW. Not available on the S any more.
I remember thinking dammit reading the forums then realised it was a US issue, not a UK issue before ordering.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speaking from experience, I have it on my Non-S and the SO has the active suspension, I like it. I like that fact that it's ALWAYS there, and that the stiffness is quite considerable compared to the active dampening. The car feels more planted and solid, but it feels a bit harsher to passengers. The SO says my car feels sturdier than hers when driving.

I like it a lot
I originally had the active suspension changed but swapped it at the last minute as it was described as kidney breaker but makes the handling almost go kart like, it's going to be fun.

I tried to get the 16" inch victories to negate some of the hard ride but because of the chilli pack had to have the cosmos.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The Sports suspension is 30% stiffer than std. suspension where as the VDC is 10% siffer in Sport mode and 10% softer in mid/eco mode.

I have read that the anti roll bars are thicker with Sport suspension

I have VDC on my car and thought it was OK and a good compromise where the comfort setting was never really that comfortable and sport was never really firm enough but you can't have everything. I have since changed to KW coilover system as I prefer a sporty drive (couldn't get JCW Pro coilovers as not designed to replace VDC) so if I was to do it all again I would get the Sport suspension if I wasn't concerned with the std. ride height or upgrade to the JCW Pro suspension (dealer fit option)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hopefully I can put this question to bed (at least for me). I have driven a JCW with sports suspension and thought it was pretty compliant. I have an appointment this weekend with my closest dealer and have asked for an extended test with a JCW with sports suspension and and a comparison with a car equipped with DDC.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hopefully I can put this question to bed (at least for me). I have driven a JCW with sports suspension and thought it was pretty compliant. I have an appointment this weekend with my closest dealer and have asked for an extended test with a JCW with sports suspension and and a comparison with a car equipped with DDC.
I replied on NAM to this....well covered above as well. I vote Sport Suspension! I have lived with mine for 1.5 years and it still makes me smile...no regrets!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It appears I am on the other side of this issue. I prefer the dynamic suspension for comfort on longer commutes to and from my favorite twisties and still find the suspension in sport mode to be adequate for my twist-a-thon adventures. I really don't track the car, but most likely if I did I would opt for the stiffer suspension. That said, my bony old keester appreciates the smoother ride. We didn't have it on the R56 JCW and the handling was marginally better in extreme twisties than the F's, but the additional power in the F more than makes up for the difference.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Finally, I was able to drive two cars (one with sport suspension and one with DDC) back to back over the same route, which featured a combination of smooth pavement, rough pavement, bricks, and freeway. Both cars had 17" wheels so it was a good comparison.

Honestly, I could live with either. Neither was harsh, even on bricks and rough pavement. However, since I live in FL and twisty roads are rare, I think the DDC wins out for my use and environment. It was noticeably smoother over rough patches in Normal mode, and plenty tight in sport mode (in fact, pretty close to sport suspension in feel). For day-to-day driving, I'm now a convert to DDC.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Finally, I was able to drive two cars (one with sport suspension and one with DDC) back to back over the same route, which featured a combination of smooth pavement, rough pavement, bricks, and freeway. Both cars had 17" wheels so it was a good comparison.

Honestly, I could live with either. Neither was harsh, even on bricks and rough pavement. However, since I live in FL and twisty roads are rare, I think the DDC wins out for my use and environment. It was noticeably smoother over rough patches in Normal mode, and plenty tight in sport mode (in fact, pretty close to sport suspension in feel). For day-to-day driving, I'm now a convert to DDC.
Thanks very much for your valuable feedback. :X

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here on LI, where a combination of recycled asphalt and poor road maintenance yields really bad potholes, I'd have to say my requirements are for the VDC. I have VDC on my new Clubman and much prefer it to the standard, non-sport suspension of my '15 MCS.
The run flats are an issue , even with 17" wheels.

B

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
On my S I got the Sports Suspension. I love it. Taking a fast corner, the car says "is that all you got?".

Yes, it is a harder ride. Dirt roads will remove your fillings. Speed bumps are to be feared. But on the pavement, bliss.

Got a JCW on order. Apparently similar to my S, suspension-wise. Makes me happy. This time around it's going to be the 18 inch wheels, however.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My order will definitely include DDC. I appreciate good handling ... I have raced vintage cars since 1999, including a Mk 1 Mini Cooper. However, on the street, comfort is important.

I do agree; however, that the Sport Suspension is very good and not at all terrible. Having driven the two back-to-back on the same roads, I have to say that the DDC is right for me, which is not the answer I expected to come away with ... it is much better than I expected.

I do plan to stick with the 17" wheels and dump the run-flats as soon as possible. That alone makes a hug difference.

I will never understand BMW's defense of run-flat tires. When my MA started to explain, I reminded him that none of the M-cars have run-flats nor do the THP cars. Why MINI puts run-flats on a JCW is well beyond me. It is just something I have to replace on Day 1.

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My order will definitely include DDC. I appreciate good handling ... I have raced vintage cars since 1999, including a Mk 1 Mini Cooper. However, on the street, comfort is important.

I do agree; however, that the Sport Suspension is very good and not at all terrible. Having driven the two back-to-back on the same roads, I have to say that the DDC is right for me, which is not the answer I expected to come away with ... it is much better than I expected.

I do plan to stick with the 17" wheels and dump the run-flats as soon as possible. That alone makes a hug difference.

I will never understand BMW's defense of run-flat tires. When my MA started to explain, I reminded him that none of the M-cars have run-flats nor do the THP cars. Why MINI puts run-flats on a JCW is well beyond me. It is just something I have to replace on Day 1.
Yes, better performance, better ride, less expensive, less noise, and tires should be a buyer option on any vehicle at the time of purchase. At the very least available when you order a vehicle!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts