Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all!

I wanted to take the MCS to a track day or two, I'm sure the stock pads aren't going to be up to task for more than a few hours or sessions. I can't source out any street performance pads. I don't need full track pads as I'm sure i won't get to that skill level and don't want to spend that much either. I'm familiar with braking and stuff like that but not with this car. I was thinking along the lines of Hawk HP+ or EBC yellows, something that will give me a good track experience without braking the bank. I'm not planning on using on the street. I need your help with which vendors or sites are good for our F56. Thanks a bunch. I'll also need to swap out the fluid, just to be safe. It could get real hot down here in Miami and rather be safe than sorry.

Here's Mini C lol, sorry not too creative with names

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Evo mag rated yellow stuff pads for road and track. Only saying as in another thread they/I were heavily criticised! No experience of them myself only reporting evo!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's still too new for this matter...
The right way to proceed, imho, is starting from pipes, sport pads (when available), discs (when available).

This is what I have discovered...http://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalogues/2016-Intl-Auto-Catalogue/2016-intl-auto-catalogue.html#p=594 I observe this rather often because I have a F54 Cooper S but I haven't found yet what I'm waiting for.
Sorry not sure i follow, what do you mean "from pipes"? Could this be the fluid in the lines? I think discs could be ok as long as crazy track pads aren't used which will literally eat them. Don't want anything hardcore just something to avoid causing damage to the stock components. From what i've learned, this is pads and usually fluid.

Evo mag rated yellow stuff pads for road and track. Only saying as in another thread they/I were heavily criticised! No experience of them myself only reporting evo!
I mentioned the EBC's because is the only thing i could find. I'll do more searching around to see if Hawk or anything else makes a set.

Thanks anyways for your help.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Lovely looking car btw.jcw owners really rate their brembo pads!not sure what's available for us f owners as yet but I've liked pagid on my r56 s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lovely looking car btw.jcw owners really rate their brembo pads!not sure what's available for us f owners as yet but I've liked pagid on my r56 s
Yeah I've only read great things about the Pagids but not sure if available for the f56 S. I know the JCW may have more options. Would hate to have to get a big brake kit because of the lack of options. I may just hit the track with oem setup and take it easy, get a feel for it.

Thanks for the compliment on the ride :)

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
On a side note with the JCW, the reason why there are no fog lights in the front grill is there are vents that allow more cooler air to pass through the oil cooler and also the front disk brakes.
It comes down to what you want out of your car, there is literally no end of what you can do to keep making it faster and faster, engine performance, grip, suspension, aerodynamics, weight etc etc.

If your just after a great fun day at the track without blowing away lap times and your budget., enjoy what you have on the car already, it is still a very good standard, just spend a little more time in cooling everything down between hard laps and you will enjoy it alot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi, for Mini C I'd change the brake fluid but leave the pads alone for now. Be sure you have a good transfer layer on the discs by doing some 60 to 10 mph stops with the anti-locks almost coming on. Some practice laps will do this too and don't hold the brakes on back in the pit area with the discs not turning. The later will cause too much transfer to one spot & maybe vibrations. Also check your pedal after everything heat soaks before going back out on track. If you're only running a few laps at a time the stock brakes will be fine until your skill level get the better of them :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sorry not sure i follow, what do you mean "from pipes"? Could this be the fluid in the lines? I think discs could be ok as long as crazy track pads aren't used which will literally eat them. Don't want anything hardcore just something to avoid causing damage to the stock components. From what i've learned, this is pads and usually fluid.
I mean brake hoses, metallic brake hoses like the Goodridge. I have done what you want to do on your F56 on my bike and I'm suggesting you that depending on my opinion the correct procedure in brake improvement is
Hoses
Pads
Discs
Calipers
....and bigger is better!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mean brake hoses, metallic brake hoses like the Goodridge. I have done what you want to do on your F56 on my bike and I'm suggesting you that depending on my opinion the correct procedure in brake improvement is
Hoses
Pads
Discs
Calipers
....and bigger is better!
Ahh i see, thanks for that. I just seem to have an issue with find the parts lol. I know the SS lines are around but pads are what i'm concerned with because of the heat tolerance. The feel of my brakes is not my complaint, i simply dont want to roast my OEM pads which is what typically happens in hotter climates and track events.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a side note with the JCW, the reason why there are no fog lights in the front grill is there are vents that allow more cooler air to pass through the oil cooler and also the front disk brakes.
It comes down to what you want out of your car, there is literally no end of what you can do to keep making it faster and faster, engine performance, grip, suspension, aerodynamics, weight etc etc.

If your just after a great fun day at the track without blowing away lap times and your budget., enjoy what you have on the car already, it is still a very good standard, just spend a little more time in cooling everything down between hard laps and you will enjoy it alot.
Hi, for Mini C I'd change the brake fluid but leave the pads alone for now. Be sure you have a good transfer layer on the discs by doing some 60 to 10 mph stops with the anti-locks almost coming on. Some practice laps will do this too and don't hold the brakes on back in the pit area with the discs not turning. The later will cause too much transfer to one spot & maybe vibrations. Also check your pedal after everything heat soaks before going back out on track. If you're only running a few laps at a time the stock brakes will be fine until your skill level get the better of them :)

Thats good advice and is what i wanted to know before heading in. I was planning on just taking it easy but other OEM components in other vehicles cant even withstand this light use on track or Auto X events. I wanted to confirm the MCS was a bit more up to the task and if not, prepare for it. I'll swap fluids and go easy on the pads. Thanks for all the tips, i was aware of the not holding brakes or engaging the E-brake, learned the hard way :crying:

Appreciate the feedback guys ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
BTW, if the front pads really get hot and start to fade you'll loose ELDC limited slip on acceleration. I'll post a link when when my post count allows. An EBC pad upgrade might help in this special case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts