Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Cooper S F55 Exclusive Thunder Grey
91 Posts
It's a new car so everything should be good, just have a good look around it to check paintwork etc, it had been known things can happen between factory and dealership. It should be ok but better to have a good look. Make sure you ask all the questions you want answering about how things work, it'll all be in the hand book but it's nice to be shown how things work and don't ge rushed, you've spent a lot of cash so take your time.
Enjoy your new Mini.

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
552 Posts
As above, paint mainly and don't get rushed.
This may be a bit unusual but what I did was I arranged to go and look at mine the day it was delivered, before they did all their "delivery" checks. That way I wouldn't feel pressurised by them trying to get me out the door on collection day and also I could find any transport damage (ie, paint) before the dealer could try to hide it.
Re. asking questions, did you test drive one ? I asked all my questions then and any ones I forgot, I asked when I went in to place the order. Also the handbook/manual is available on-line if you want to read up on anything in advance.
Anyway, enjoy it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2p worth, if you're unfamiliar with how to do it, get them to physically show you how to plug it into a public charger, set the preconditioning etc. I'd echo the suggestions regarding paint/damage etc, and just simple things like radio presets make your first drive more fun and less about squinting at the screen to get it off Absolute Country...

Make sure you download "Zapmap" for a pretty good guide of where to charge too.

Abetterrouteplanner.com will also be a reassuring companion.

Enjoy your new car experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

I am collecting my car this weekend and just wondering what to look out for/check? This is my first new car so not too sure what to lookout for.
Thanks in advance
On a previous Forum, rayCooperS23 and Sushi mentioned some of the items they look for. I've added some of mine and will be taking this list with me when I pick up my SE:
Mini Pickup Checklist:
  • BEFORE PICKUP, RUN MINI CONFIGURATOR WITH MATCHING OPTIONS FOR PRICE CHECK
  • BEFORE PICKUP, CHECK ON ALL FED AND STATE REBATES AND WHAT PAPERWORK IS REQUIRED FROM DEALER AND IF REBATES SHALL BE APPLIED TO PURCHASE PRICE. MAKE SURE THEY ARE APPLIED
  • BRING ALL PREVIOUS PAPERWORK FILED OUT WITH DEALER PREVIOUSLY
  • ALL PAPERWORK FULFILLED INCLUDING EXTRAS PAID FOR AND VARIOUS WARRANTIES AND STATE EV REBATES
  • COLLECT CAR DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS AND ON A DRY DAY
  • ENSURE ALL MINI ELECTRIC LEVEL 3 SPEC HAS BEEN FULFILLED
  • CHECK ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTERS – MAKE SURE THEY ARE FASTENED AT LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES (THE SHUTTERS ARE OPEN WHEN CAR IS OFF, AND THEY CLOSE WHEN THE CAR IS TURNED ON..THEY ARE LOCATED BELOW THE FRONT GRILL) HTTPS://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/WATCH?V=MELP6UZ02-4
  • CHECK PAINT; LOOK FOR SWIRLS, DENTS
  • CHECK ALL PANELS AND WHEELS FOR DAMAGE
  • CHECK ALL ELECTRONICS; LIGHTS, RADIO, WIPERS
  • OPEN/CLOSE SUNROOF AND WINDOWS
  • CHECK TYRES , LIGHTS ETC WORKING
  • ADJUST SEATS FORWARD/BACK
  • CHECK SEAT AND ALL ELECTRONICS FOR FUNCTION (LIGHTS, WIPERS, RADIO, AND SO FORTH). IF IT HAS A BUTTON, PRESS IT.
  • CHECK BACK BOOT FOR ‘MOBILITY SYSTEM’ KIT WHICH SEALS MINOR TIRE DAMAGE (SEE OWNER’S MANUAL, PG 246)
  • CHECK FOR ‘FLEXIBLE FAST CHARGER’ ALONG WITH THE ‘NEMA 14-50 ADAPTER’ (FOR 240V CHARGING OUTLETS)
SPEND ABOUT 30 MINUTES GOING AROUND THE CAR, CHECKING EVERYTHING OUT. OPENING AND CLOSING ALL THE DOORS, BOOT, BONNET . CHECK ALL THE INTERIOR LIGHTS AND THAT THE GPS WAS ACCURATE. ADJUST MIRRORS, SEATS ON PASSENGER AND DRIVER SIDE.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks everyone, I’ve been offered the servicing pack for £250 would you guys recommend this? Or is it not worth it?
It sounds like Service Inclusive they're offering, I went for it, see here...

·
Registered
122 Posts
On a previous Forum, rayCooperS23 and Sushi mentioned some of the items they look for. I've added some of mine and will be taking this list with me when I pick up my SE:
Mini Pickup Checklist:
  • BEFORE PICKUP, RUN MINI CONFIGURATOR WITH MATCHING OPTIONS FOR PRICE CHECK
  • BEFORE PICKUP, CHECK ON ALL FED AND STATE REBATES AND WHAT PAPERWORK IS REQUIRED FROM DEALER AND IF REBATES SHALL BE APPLIED TO PURCHASE PRICE. MAKE SURE THEY ARE APPLIED
  • BRING ALL PREVIOUS PAPERWORK FILED OUT WITH DEALER PREVIOUSLY
  • ALL PAPERWORK FULFILLED INCLUDING EXTRAS PAID FOR AND VARIOUS WARRANTIES AND STATE EV REBATES
  • COLLECT CAR DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS AND ON A DRY DAY
  • ENSURE ALL MINI ELECTRIC LEVEL 3 SPEC HAS BEEN FULFILLED
  • CHECK ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTERS – MAKE SURE THEY ARE FASTENED AT LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES (THE SHUTTERS ARE OPEN WHEN CAR IS OFF, AND THEY CLOSE WHEN THE CAR IS TURNED ON..THEY ARE LOCATED BELOW THE FRONT GRILL) HTTPS://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/WATCH?V=MELP6UZ02-4
  • CHECK PAINT; LOOK FOR SWIRLS, DENTS
  • CHECK ALL PANELS AND WHEELS FOR DAMAGE
  • CHECK ALL ELECTRONICS; LIGHTS, RADIO, WIPERS
  • OPEN/CLOSE SUNROOF AND WINDOWS
  • CHECK TYRES , LIGHTS ETC WORKING
  • ADJUST SEATS FORWARD/BACK
  • CHECK SEAT AND ALL ELECTRONICS FOR FUNCTION (LIGHTS, WIPERS, RADIO, AND SO FORTH). IF IT HAS A BUTTON, PRESS IT.
  • CHECK BACK BOOT FOR ‘MOBILITY SYSTEM’ KIT WHICH SEALS MINOR TIRE DAMAGE (SEE OWNER’S MANUAL, PG 246)
  • CHECK FOR ‘FLEXIBLE FAST CHARGER’ ALONG WITH THE ‘NEMA 14-50 ADAPTER’ (FOR 240V CHARGING OUTLETS)
SPEND ABOUT 30 MINUTES GOING AROUND THE CAR, CHECKING EVERYTHING OUT. OPENING AND CLOSING ALL THE DOORS, BOOT, BONNET . CHECK ALL THE INTERIOR LIGHTS AND THAT THE GPS WAS ACCURATE. ADJUST MIRRORS, SEATS ON PASSENGER AND DRIVER SIDE.
Thank you for the additional look outs for when I take delivery - as yet not known when this will happen but will update on outcome

·
Registered
38 Posts
Make sure they put the steering wheel on the left side of the car. Otherwise, it's really scary to drive. Seriously, you won't really know how to check everything until you read the manual. I recommend doing that.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My 2p worth, if you're unfamiliar with how to do it, get them to physically show you how to plug it into a public charger, set the preconditioning etc. I'd echo the suggestions regarding paint/damage etc, and just simple things like radio presets make your first drive more fun and less about squinting at the screen to get it off Absolute Country...

Make sure you download "Zapmap" for a pretty good guide of where to charge too.

Abetterrouteplanner.com will also be a reassuring companion.

Enjoy your new car experience.
Also Podpoint app.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Servicing plan? For an electric? What would you possibly need done before the 24-month cabin filter and brake fluid change (that is included AFAIK)? That’s not worth £269.

As mentioned in all-caps above, double check that the lower (active) grille shutter isn’t loose on either near or off sides. Seems this slips past QC on a lot of cars, or it pops loose during transport.

Make sure they’ve topped off your battery completely.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Seems spendy for what amounts to an hour of labour and two filters.
It's each to their own, but to me it's 4 lots of labour (each of the above were separate visits), 4 courtesy vehicles, 4 inspections and possible fixes/software updates, and selling/trading at the end with full main dealer service history for £67/year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My MINI salesman recommended not to take the service plan for the SE as it wasn't worth it.
Yeah, mine tried, "Never heard of it", "Don't know", "It's not worth it", "Can't work out how to add it to your car" and several other excuses, it took nearly a month to buy it.

Funny, almost like they'd rather get repeated Service income over the next 4 years subject to annual price increases than me pay Mini direct for 4 years up front which they can only charge back at internal rates.

In the end we don't know if it's worth it or not yet, I just know the service elements I had done on my old mini which will still apply cost more than the service plan and those prices will be 3 years old when this mini needs it done, but equally I do 10-12k miles a year so my service intervals are quicker than someone who does 5k miles a year. I know EVs are going to be a lot cheaper to service but at £67/year was a figure I was happy to pay to not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's each to their own, but to me it's 4 lots of labour (each of the above were separate visits), 4 courtesy vehicles, 4 inspections and possible fixes/software updates, and selling/trading at the end with full main dealer service history for £67/year.
Most definitely to each their own. Hence my opinion that £305 (~$465!) “seems spendy.”

On this side of the Atlantic, BMW and MINI sell their cars with three years of scheduled maintenance included, which on an ICE vehicle — especially something posh like a 6 or 7 — is a great selling feature. For the SE in discussion here, that “schedule” is one visit at the two-year mark, to change a £15 cabin filter and flush £10 of brake fluid, plus the usual minor inspection of tires, coolant and windscreen fluids, and hinges, locks, and seals. A trained technician in a modern BMW shop could do all the above in half an hour. A backyard mechanic with basic tools and minimal skills could do almost all that in an hour; a more serious petrolhead with the correct setup (ENET and software tools) can properly check everything and flush the ABS and ESC systems in not much longer than that. All I’m saying is that, for me, that kind of money seems like a lot for what the service includes on an SE.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
428 Posts
As everyone else has mentioned, but I would ask them to help you set up the App and any bluetooth connection. The App is the more important of the two and you can demonstrate it works by flashing the lights.

·
Registered
229 Posts
As everyone else has mentioned, but I would ask them to help you set up the App and any bluetooth connection. The App is the more important of the two and you can demonstrate it works by flashing the lights.
Fantastic advice! I was flummoxed at first — I had tried to register and set up the app before the car even arrived in Canada, and it screwed up my account settings — the car is assigned to BMW USA until a Canadian dealer takes possession, so the app told me my car was unrecognizable — a US VIN but a Canadian dealership and MyMINI account. The dealership’s Delivery Genius and Finance Dweeb were able to sort it with a couple of calls (though I had to use an alternate email I never use because the system refused to delete the main email from the buggered account). the Genius then explained, and patiently guided me through the Bluetooth and CarPlay connections.👍🏼

1 - 20 of 21 Posts