Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the longest 3.5 weeks of my life, I finally collected my Cooper today and it was love at first sight!

I love it, I'd never really contemplated all black in the hundreds of times I'd played around with the online configurator so I've surprised myself with what I went for in the end given that I ordered to my own personal custom spec from scratch!

So, it was a 100+ mile drive home and after those first few miles my comments are these;

- What a comfortable ride! It's lush in the cabin and I've only got 16" alloys so I suppose that allows for more of a rubber cushion between me and the road, but it's extremely quiet and smooth!

- It's a classy finish. I've got the standard Chili pack as to be honest I liked it as much as any of the trim options, and the carbon leather and diamond cloth really is smart. The seats hug you! But, it's classy and in my opinion, nothing at all looks cheap.

- The cruise control is excellent. The most advanced cruise control I've had in a car. It's great on cruise in green mode for motorway driving - unfortunately the idiots who only drive at weekends or Christmas were on the road today, so wasn't the best journey to test this on. But when I did get a consistent run, it was thumbs up and the cars economy liked it too!

- I love the all black I've gone for, especially with the 2016 model giving me the tailgate and front grill slats in the same Midnight Black glossy finish as the car. Adds to the all black styling really well.

- The lights are super bright. Awesome.

- The Visual Boost is ESSENTIAL. It would not be the same Mini with their standard radio. Well worth the £300 for the extras you get to play with!

What is frustrating me (but may be cleared with a little more time in the car) is that I can't find the setting to have my text messages showing from my paired iPhone. Has it been removed with a recent software update or am I being an idiot?

And also, I hold down the voice button which activates Siri, but it seems it can't hear me!? I've tried the alternate option of shouting 'Hey Siri' which my phone hears and activates, but then doesn't follow my instruction. Are these bugs in the software?

Finally - here she is just before I drove off!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks awesome. The extra black trim really makes a difference on your black colour scheme. Looks very crisp.

I've read a thread on here where someone mentioned problems with siri and the steering wheel button.

Regarding the cruise control, I also think it's amazing. Can easily do very long stints with it on because of the ability to slow it down and speed up. Agree about other drivers though, it's annoying how many people do varying speeds, and speed up/slow down all the time. Means you end up constantly adjusting the cruise control. Really useful in average speed sections on motorways though.

Glad you're enjoying the car. I drive mine far too much because of how great the experience is every time!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks great!

As for the text message feature, I believe that it is only available with either the enhanced bluetooth package or the 8.8 inch screen and not just visual boost :(

Reactions: bjblyth

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Looks great! Welcome to the all black club! :relaxed:

John

Reactions: bjblyth

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congratulations! I too have Always been a big fan of cruise control, however I couldn't stretch to active cruise control on my car to account for those 'idiots'!

I picked up my car today, and had to show the salesman how to make the iPhone texts alerts work.

When you pair the phone, the phone sets itself not to show the texts. Make sure that you go into Bluetooth on the phone, click the 'i' next to the MINIxxxxx and ensure that 'show notifications' is selected.

I found it a bit temperamental but it does work.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations! I too have Always been a big fan of cruise control, however I couldn't stretch to active cruise control on my car to account for those 'idiots'!

I picked up my car today, and had to show the salesman how to make the iPhone texts alerts work.

When you pair the phone, the phone sets itself not to show the texts. Make sure that you go into Bluetooth on the phone, click the 'i' next to the MINIxxxxx and ensure that 'show notifications' is selected.

I found it a bit temperamental but it does work.
Thanks Phil. Is this on the Media XL pack, as I only have the smaller Visual Boost - my iPhone doesn't show the option to 'show notifications' (iPhone 6S).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks Phil. Is this on the Media XL pack, as I only have the smaller Visual Boost - my iPhone doesn't show the option to 'show notifications' (iPhone 6S).

This must be the case as I've got Media XL and can show my messages after flicking the "show notifications" toggle in my Bluetooth settings on my phone, where as my other half has Visual Boost and that toggle didn't show up on her phone.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great news, I got Siri working! Holding down the voice button activates Siri when linked by Bluetooth, tried a couple of things such as 'Play Foo Fighters' and 'Call Danny' and both worked.

To confirm, this is with just the Visual Boost installed - no other media add ons or enhanced Bluetooth.

So pleased that's working :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must note how great Halliwell Jones Mini in Wilmslow were with me. Been absolutely excellent from start to finish. Even thrown in the plush Mini Bulldog for me, and the car care kit including every car washing bit of kit that Mini do. A nice touch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi bjblyth,

We've had 4 minis off Halliwell Jones in Wilmslow now, they are very good! Who was your sales person?

In regards to the text messages mine works with visual boost, but I had to do the show notifications like other have described wo it should work for you :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi bjblyth,

We've had 4 minis off Halliwell Jones in Wilmslow now, they are very good! Who was your sales person?

In regards to the text messages mine works with visual boost, but I had to do the show notifications like other have described wo it should work for you :)
Hi James,

My sales guy was Oli and he was absolutely fantastic.

I definitely don't get that option for text messages unfortunately - I wonder why mine is different!?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is my Mini with the new red centre caps fitted. New JCW mirror caps should be arriving before New Year hopefully, so they'll go straight on to add to the red accents that I'm aiming for.

There are a few black F56's around where I live and I want to be a little bit different :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.