Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are you trying to say Parky is a hooligan!
:confused::confused::confused:
Haha!
Range does depend on temp, previous driving, weather, day or night. I think the actual range we would see at the moment would be better than that shown on the GOM, I think it is quite pessimistic.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just don't think you'll get any useful data by tallying temp against range on different cars/drivers. Even figures from a single car will differ depending on whether it's been on a nice long run or used for half-mile trips to the shops all week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So this morning I drove to work to pick up some things before I finish for Christmas, work is 38 miles away (this was done in Green mode and duel carriage/motorway) I then drove the 5 miles to the gym (mild mode - town driving) I then drove the 21 miles home (sports mode - via the centre of Birmingham and one junction on the motorway and then country lanes) the drive home was not in an eco mode at all, as I knew my car would be charged when I go home and was yet to try the sport mode.

When I left this morning it had been plugged in overnight, was fully charged and had a range of 91 miles, at 3’c! When I got home it had 55% of battery remaining and a predicted range of 65 miles! So there is definitely more range than what is currently shown in a morning for me. It’s just learning to trust it is there!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've only had a 24 hour test drive up to now but this was my experience as well!
IIRC the fully charged range when I picked it up in October was around 98/99 miles. After driving for around 20 miles the range had actually increased! it then stayed at that level for long enough until gradually starting to come down later in the day. It did however seem to start coming down quicker as the range reduced.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
53 Posts
I've had some mixed results this week with range but waiting till I next charge it to see how all it works out. At one point I got down to 18% and a 15mile range warning poped up. The range does seem to fluctuate so I've tended to keep an eye on what % battery is remaining. However, although I don't think it's been good I've been commuting mainly in the rain with wipers and lights on and mostly motorway so not expecting it to be that good. At full charge, I'm showing between 98 and 101 miles. One thing I am aware of is that as the car is new the battery performance will improve once it's been discharged and charged a few times. It's not going to add lots of miles but it may show a slight improvement in efficiancy.

·
Super Moderator
7,086 Posts
Didn't know that so just like a domestic battery then?

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
53 Posts
The w
I think it’s more about calibration rather than efficiency, the charge discharge helps the battery and GOM be more accurate.
The whole battery efficiency principles are standard regardless of the application. You’re right though the GOM is more about calibration than how efficient the battery is. The BMS should look after the battery and protect it against rapid discharge and charging and ensure it operates in the right temperature band. Also why it limits the CCS charge to 50kw and the AC to 7kw and why Tesla can keep issuing updates that allow the BMS in their cars to extend the range further. It would be nice to think that BMW will do the same with the mini but as it based around i3 technology I doubt that will happen! But we live in hope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am glad you posted this, been racking my brain all week as I could not seem to figure out two situations

1. We took delivery of car last Thursday and it showed 118 miles range, by the Saturday we had done a small qty of miles but could not figure out why after taking miles driven from the range that we had a gap of 29 miles

2. I took car to one of those super super “instavolt” super fast chargers to treat the car as we don’t have the outside charger yet

the machine showed 98 % charge and on the clock I was at 102 miles, consumed 23 KW to charge, to this day I cannot figure out two aspects

1. why it needed say another 8 Kw of energy to get it to 100 %
2. That even if I put another 2 % in, why it was nit any where near what mini say about the 145 miles

temperature was 5 degrees

still baffled by this

The Mini is showing a piss poor range at the moment due to the cold weather. I know that if I actually use the car it will do better than the shown figure, but it’s worse than I thought it would be. Still it’s more than I need.

View attachment 71366

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The 5 degrees temp will be lowering the range, plus previous driving style can have an impact. I also think the 145 mile range is probably not measured in Mid mode, they may have used Green or even Green+

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
53 Posts
Range not brilliant after a week of commuting.

Having set the trip at the start of the week I completed 205 miles, mainly in the dark and in the rain. the majority of the journeys were on the motorway so average speed was 29.5mph giving an e-consumption of 3.3m/kWh. The range was typically showing below the available battery % and in total, I added 69.4kWh (3 charge sessions including preconditioning) for the week at roughly 5p per mile. A change in tariff should bring the cost down considerably.

Although not cold the weather has been particularly wet & windy and having to have the lights and wipers on really saps the range, so I'm expecting to see some improvements. However, I had estimated the need to charge every other day so at the moment it's all within current expectations!!

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
53 Posts
Not brilliant range at the moment. However, I'm not really trying to be economical at the moment.

Put the car in the garage last night (temp was -0.5 deg) and had to defrost the car first. I have to say the heater was very efficient, didn't lose any battery % with max screen, A/C, rear window and drivers heated seat on and it was so much quicker than my wife's car that has with a heated screen. As there's no waiting for an engine to warm up, the heater seems to start to clear the screen in less than a minute.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
Great car but low range
If I knew it was this bad would not have brought one,
My BMW I3 Rex (up for sale) dose over the recommended range and that why I chose the Mini base on both cars use the same technology, battery and motor
That was the mistake I made
Never assumed
J

·
Registered
4 Posts
The range could be longer, especially when temps go below 25F. If you have precondition the battery using shore power, that would be the best.
The Model 3 plus, has a longer range and better range indication and is the same cost, without credits, as the Iconic trim level, here in the States.
I do love the size, build and "go cart handling" of the Mini, and is, for me, a motorcycling substitute!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts