Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, its been few months since i bought my car.. its done about 600miles. I was planning to upgrade to a performance intercooler i.e from Wagner turning.
Would it be ideal doing it now or maybe wait for sometime.. i was planning on a downpipe and ecu remap aswell after the 1st service..
do intercoolers really help? or the stock one is sufficient? Help me out guys.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Hello guys, its been few months since i bought my car.. its done about 600miles. I was planning to upgrade to a performance intercooler i.e from Wagner turning.
Would it be ideal doing it now or maybe wait for sometime.. i was planning on a downpipe and ecu remap aswell after the 1st service..
do intercoolers really help? or the stock one is sufficient? Help me out guys.
IMO its a must do mod whether your car is stock modded. I bought the Helix DDC Intercooler, installation took about 1.5 hours. As a matter of fact a member here has one for sale, he has a JCW the intercoolers are different from JCW to S ;)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I have a Helix DDC intercooler for sale if your interested. I bought it for my F56 JCW but it doesn't fit. Its only for the F56 Cooper S only. message me if interested.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Helix DDC intercooler for sale if your interested. I bought it for my F56 JCW but it doesn't fit. Its only for the F56 Cooper S only. message me if interested.
Let me know if you're headed Downunder for a vacation and want to pack it into your luggage. ;)

Keen to buy one of these, but I suspect the postage would be a killer. :(

Derek (DJ)

·
Registered
40 Posts
The quick of it. Unless you are specifically planning to increase turbo boost by remapping the ECU or changing the turbocharger don't waste your money on a new intercooler. I would assume that the production design would handle the heat from the stock boost loads well enough. When you increase boost, you increase heat from the compressor and need a more efficient intercooler to remove the extra heat. The cost for gain ratio on just an intercooler upgrade is minimal. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The quick of it. Unless you are specifically planning to increase turbo boost by remapping the ECU or changing the turbocharger don't waste your money on a new intercooler. I would assume that the production design would handle the heat from the stock boost loads well enough. When you increase boost, you increase heat from the compressor and need a more efficient intercooler to remove the extra heat. The cost for gain ratio on just an intercooler upgrade is minimal. Just my opinion.
^ What he said. IMO, unless you're going to be running >10 psi of boost, charge air heating isn't really going to affect performance. Have you done an ECU remap/tuning box yet?

The sequence of upgrades I have planned, to keep it well balanced is:
1. tyres and wheels (grip and unsprung mass)
2. sway bar
3. burger JB4 / or maybe the DINAN box, it has a valet mode! totally need that in india haha!
4. exhaust and JCW tune
5. BBK
6. intake, stage 2 and catch can. maybe ill consider an intercooler at this stage... haven't thought that far just yet haha

what is your plan? would love to know what you have managed to do so far.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
^ What he said. IMO, unless you're going to be running >10 psi of boost, charge air heating isn't really going to affect performance. Have you done an ECU remap/tuning box yet?

2. sway bar
3. burger JB4 / or maybe the DINAN box, it has a valet mode! totally need that in india haha!
4. exhaust and JCW tune
5. BBK
6. intake, stage 2 and catch can. maybe ill consider an intercooler at this stage... haven't thought that far just yet haha

1. Check
2. Check
3. Check
4. Check
5. Check
6. Check, just didn't do them in this order. >:D

Nothing says you can't install now in anticipation of further mods. Also, a cooler air mixture is going to make more power at any level of boost, just may not be as noticeable. It is especially helpful in hot weather. And if you can get a good deal on one I don't see a downside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
... And if you can get a good deal on one I don't see a downside.
i haven't actually got around to doing any of the upgrades as the arrival of my car is still a couple of months away! :D

You're absolutely right, there is no downside and if one is getting a good deal, go for it. IMO its probably better to upgrade other aspects of the car and get to it when its actually going to be able to deliver tangible results. Is the stock ECU map really going to take advantage of that lovely cold air? I don't have any data to back it up, but I think not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

2. sway bar
4. exhaust and JCW tune
5. BBK

Crazy! bro :| i was just thinking of a remap and a Downpipe in future and intercooler currently, as its in stock.

I was planning to remap and downpipe it in the future.. maybe after sometime, i.e after i run the car for 4kmiles.. currently i just have an Exhaust and Air Filter installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go with the Helix, you won't be sorry. I've had mine since the first week in May. Check out their website for more info. A lot of R & D went into the unit. They didn't just take an off the shelf core and weld up some end tanks.
Basically, only Wagner turning Intercooler is available with my car Tuner..i'll have to check with Helix or Forged if they would ship to India..and speak with my Technician if we would be able to fix it.
This is the one avaiable here:
http://www.wagner-tuning.com/Competition-Intercooler-Kit-Mini-Cooper-S-F56-200001076_p_216.html

·
Registered
4 Posts

So figured I'll ask, how long or short it took to get that intercooler off your hands? Also if it is a "direct fit" does name brand matter?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts