Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of blacking out all the various chrome parts on my MCS, has anyone used plasti-dip before? It seems a much cheaper alternative to a body shop.

If the dealer had given me the option I would have opted for zero chrome as it's just not my bag.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I haven't considered plastidip.. but I will be blacking out all the chrome on my thunder grey MCS. There may be about 2 things I leave chrome (door handles and gas tank), but would be very interested in seeing what you come up with! There's just not enough pictures of customized F56 yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
four coats but after watching you tube don't think i did it right looked a little thin spraying too quickly
and i dont think i left it long enough to dry as it got pulled up by the wheel nuts
so needed to do again. :(
rushed the prep on the second wheel and got water contamination from under the wheel weight :(
but i proved a concept i think i'll get the wheels painted
save the plasti dip for the trim.
now if only i could figure out how to remove the tailgate trim so i can get my handle off!!!>:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did my chrome handle today came out well :)
i know what your all thinking why didn't i just not have the chrome line.
believe my it went on and off my spec more than once i wanted the exhaust pipe finisher on and the configurator took it off with out the chrome line and i like the chrome on the front end. so i went with it, thought i could plastidip it if i didnt like it and i thik im right :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I reckon they'd be fine . Give it another go but they say with normal paint it takes at least 2weeks to fully cure. How about a blast with a hairdryer to speed it up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my plastidip work.

-wheels
-side panels
-door handles
-chrome trim around all lights
-trunk chrome
-gas cover

Make sure you cover your car well because plastidip gets everywhere.

Do a quick light coat first. Then repeat each coat every 15min when it's dried. Do 3-4 coats. When you get a nice layer on there it's easier to peel the excess. When taping give yourself an extra quarter inch, don't tape to the exact edge. Wait for it to dry well before you start peeling excess.

I also want to finish by doing the front grille but have to figure out how to take it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for posting this Aterzian... I have the plasti dip ready to go.. have not had the time.. my question...

What did you use to prepare the areas you're plasti dipping? Just making it spotless? Should I use rubbing alchohol?

If you figure out how to take off the grill please post!! Many people are trying to figure out how to do that..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts