Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered what you peeps use to clean you plastic grills in the bumpers, particularly on the JCW bodykits with their additional grills instead of fog lamps. I have used a large brush on previous cars but not been too careful and I risk scratching the surrounding paintwork, so a small brush may be a goood investment.
Perhaps you use something to stop dirt building up if that's possible?
These grills are just dirt magnets and once its in the corners its hard to get out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Treat it, before it gets dirty...

I went ahead and sealed the grills with Quartz Dlux Plastic and Rubber Coating.

Check out the results...

The design and style seems like a real PITA to maintain (wash and clean), so get something that avoids the work. I tested and tried out the CarPro Quartz Dlux plastic and rubber coating before, on the fender trim and upper roof trim. Stuff works great, nothing sticks to it, and hoses any dirt right off. It's kind of like armoralling without all the negatives (it's applied only once, not after each wash, it's not greasy, it doesn't turn greyish, and it doesn't smell or smudge the paint).

My trick, was I used a fine mist pump spray (from my liquid vitamin D spray pump) and held it in place to the 30ml container of CarPro Quartz Dlux bottle and literally sprayed on a light mist (way WAY faster, on the honeycomb grill than trying to apply it with a Qtip or by hand).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Easy Peasey

To apply Quartz Dlux Plastic and Rubber Coating, it couldn't be easier. You just got to make sure your grill is clean, and free from dirt and debris. Because the sealer will literally coat over the plastic and rubber. So, if you do not prep it right, you will be coating and sealing dirt underneath. This is why I did it now, now that my car is brand spanking new.

The product comes with a swath 3.5" x 3.5" that you wrap around a sponge. This works great for flat surfaces, but not for the honey comb like grill. So, I decided to apply the sealer with a mist like spray pump. It's faster, more uniform, and gets in the cracks and crevices. Took about 15 minutes to hit the front upper and lower grills, as well as the rear. And the results are SPECTACULAR.

As for the paint, check out my post http://www.minif56.com/forum/770-washing-detailing/55378-massive-detailing-w-pics.html

I "learned" myself about the latest "waxing" solutions. It's actually not a wax, but a long term sealer, called Ceramic Coat. LOL, it's not really ceramic, but the concept is based on the fact that it coats and seals into a very hard clear coat like coating. So after cleaning the paint (again, I came from a brand new car / finish) I applied two coats of Cquarts UK Edition ceramic coat, and one coat of CarPro Reload Inorganic Spray Sealant (to give that slippery finish, and enhance the shine). The results are STUNNING (not because it's my car, nor am I biased) to say the least, and the dirt no longer accumulates nor stinks to the paint (it's like the body of the vehicle is grounded and nothing is attracted to it). I am really impressed, couldn't be happier. Hard work yes, but the results are there. I am told it's supposed to last. You only need to follow it up with CarPro Reload Inorganic Spray Sealant every 6 months or so.

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a detailing brush will get into all the nooks and crannies. A good APC will get rid of any muck and then a plastic coating product from the likes of GTechniq or Nanolex will give long lasting protection.

http://www.amdetails.co.uk/accessories/detailing-and-wheel-brush
http://www.amdetails.co.uk/wash-it/am-apc
http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c4-permanent-trim-restorer
http://www.nanolex-shop.co.uk/trim-rejuvenator-149-p.asp
Thanks Donna, I used the GTechniq C4 you linked, and this was on the back of a recommendation from a long term test on DetailingWorld. So far it is looking great on the plastic grills and seems to shed the (dirty) water easily. I applied it with a cotton pad supplied with the C4.
I also have one of these brushes similar to your linked one. This makes it really easily to splash over the grills when washing the car I just need a blow dryer now to disperse the water!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went ahead and sealed the grills with Quartz Dlux Plastic and Rubber Coating.

My trick, was I used a fine mist pump spray (from my liquid vitamin D spray pump) and held it in place to the 30ml container of CarPro Quartz Dlux bottle and literally sprayed on a light mist (way WAY faster, on the honeycomb grill than trying to apply it with a Qtip or by hand).
Did you protect from overspray, or does the overspray just wipe off?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I use a small paint brush to clean all my books & crannies if the blower doesn't remove the dust & debris. Then I spray a good quality vinyl & plastic preservative on. Easy to wipe off and a q-tip gets in to any excess in the crannies! Simple and looks great. I never use anything that leaves a greasy or shiny residue. The key is to not let these plastic (or vinyl) parts get faded. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! ;-)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
45 Posts
reverse shop vac, air compressor, leaf blower...

I have the latter... Stihl gas leaf blower, that I use outdoors. Or inside the garage, I have my air compressor with nozzle attachement.

It work WONDERS and doesn't scratch the paint.

>:D

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have tried the garden vac thingy (before I bought the blaster) - but they're quite heavy! I'd be scared I dropped it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.