Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning to fall out of love with this car, seriously. So many things just aren't up to standard. I'm about to list my issues, and please, if anyone else has issues that are either rectified or still unresolved can you post them? It would be good to have them in one place so that things can be easy to find?

My MCS, registered June 2014 suffers the following......

1. Rear suspension knock. 99% sure it's the drivers side. Currently being investigated by my dealer ... well it was in 4 weeks ago for them to not find a fault but order in Chassis ears to try and pinpoint a problem. STILL waiting for hear from them ... I could have bought Chassis ears off Amazon and had them delivered in less than a week? What's the hold up???

2. Window seals - opening the windows leave the windows wet/smeared and they dry to a fog. I, almost daily at the moment, have to go out and clean the insides with glass cleaner. I curse when I forget and open the window!

3. Brakes are continually grinding. Perform fine under harsh braking - no pull, shudder but are continuously grinding under light pressure.

4. Paint rubbed off the driver's door pillar .... down to the grey undercoat - door needs rehung and now a respray of the door pillar. Just noticed this today. (Straw that broke the camel's back)

So come on guys, post away.......

·
Registered
844 Posts
No faults with my car built in July apart from a slight rubbing mark on the door jam caused by the rubber seal.
car has covered 9k miles now - delighted with it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rubbing mark on the door jam caused by the rubber seal.
Did they rehang the door and repaint/touch up?

mine has just turned 6000 miles......

·
Registered
890 Posts
Cooper non S, 5500 miles. May 2014 build.

Occasional light rear end clonk over bumps.

If I leave the handbrake on overnight, I get the brake rubbing noise which can last for some time until it wears off, as I am a light braker.

B post rubbing problem, but rubbed down the offending coarse abrasive rubber fillet piece on the door to smooth it, and applied some clear body wrap to the pillar to prevent the paint getting scratched.

mpg is fine, but not as good as advertised.

water draining out of hatch when opened, over rear lights etc.

sometimes squeak from front windows rubbing on top door seal.

Nothing dramatic, so far. Lets hope it lasts!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I haven't had anything done about the slight rub marks as it is very minor. Just keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll take a photo of mine today and let you see it.......

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
1900 miles, mcs petrol. No issues at all so far.

Well, one thing. I washed it yesterday for the first time. Lots of annoying nooks and crannies for water to collect. Makes drying challenging.

Other than than, nothing. A great car.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Beginning to fall out of love with this car, seriously. So many things just aren't up to standard. I'm about to list my issues, and please, if anyone else has issues that are either rectified or still unresolved can you post them? It would be good to have them in one place so that things can be easy to find?

So come on guys, post away.......
Hi Donna, sorry to hear this.

That's me just over 7000 miles now and to some degree I'm also suffering from:

2) I tend to only open the window maybe 50% so doesn't bug me as much, and on the drivers side it's mainly towards the back of the window. For some reason I think this was also an R56 problem, so don't know if there's a known fix. Having said that it's no worse than my golf was at this time of year.
3) I've had this off/on for a few weeks, and was bad yesterday after I washed the car twice on Saturday. After warning my passengers I did a couple of emergency stop type manouvres and this seems to have done the trick, although I'm not a heavy braker so didn't enjoy it.
4) Both sides are showing a dulling of the paint, but looks pretty light and should polish off.

Hope JC remove the digit and get your suspension looked at soon.

Mike

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's very interesting Mike! Have you thought about raising these issues too? The more people comment about these things then the more likely something will be done. (This is particularly relevant to us since we have the same dealer).

What I notice about the smeary windows....the inside rubber doesn't have that velvety bit like my Peugeots had - it obviously did a better job of clearing the window. It's actually quite dangerous when it gets like that, especially in dark driving, it obscures your vision quite a bit.

It's going through my head today that PERHAPS the knock is due to the door not hanging correctly? Sounds can be deceptive......
I had the car up on jacks AGAIN at the weekend and found that I have a bolt/washer missing from the heatshield on the rear passenger side near the wheel arch lining and it definitely hits the suspension. Steve didn't have a bolt that matched the thread.

IF ONLY I COULD GET THROUGH TO THE SERVICE DEPT! Arghhhhhh.......

·
Registered
966 Posts
I plan mentioning the smearing and the paint rubbing, but I don't want to end up with the car going in and getting a courtesy car with summer tyres, and finding myself up to my knees in snow and stuck in the street.

So I can live with these things for a few months, the snow usually melts for a few weeks in July.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had the car up on jacks AGAIN at the weekend and found that I have a bolt/washer missing from the heatshield on the rear passenger side near the wheel arch lining and it definitely hits the suspension.
That could be something to do with it!

My clonk is more like something loose in the luggage area hitting something else, occasionally, over bumps, it is not a metallic noise.
There is nothing loose, that I can see, hence the mystery.
I think I am a bit oversensitive to vehicle noises and must train myself to get a life.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan mentioning the smearing and the paint rubbing, but I don't want to end up with the car going in and getting a courtesy car with summer tyres, and finding myself up to my knees in snow and stuck in the street.

So I can live with these things for a few months, the snow usually melts for a few weeks in July.
That's fair enough. We need to get these 'glitches' to their attention though :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I am a bit oversensitive to vehicle noises and must train myself to get a life.
I totally understand that AND I agree to some extent. To quote my Dad "Just turn the wireless up". But I have a 10yo Freelander that rattles, knocks and squeaks like a bugger but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's got 132K on the clock. A seven month old MINI shouldn't do that.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i've been living with an intermittent knock from the rear somewhere as well but i haven't reported it yet. i'm also half convinced its in the luggage area but as you say these noises can be very deceptive and incredibly hard for service to isolate. i've tried removing the false floor piece but that didn't make any difference. it's not driving me to the point that i can be bothered reporting it yet. i think partly - & this is no excuse - that the interior is so quiet on this car that any knock is amplified.

the side window smearing has been a problem since the first R53's way back in 2002 when the car was first introduced. i'm amazed that through 3 iterations of the car they haven't fixed this. there is no hard fix as far as i can tell. you might get the garage to replace the internal window seal if you're lucky. most times they will just clean it & hand the car back. you can help the issue by running a cloth between the glass & seal to clean/dry the seal but it will come back. this was originally thought to be grease & dirt from within the door cavity being dragged up onto the seal as the window is lowered & raised.

i have almost 7000 miles on the clock & haven't seen the B pillar paint rubbing issue

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info Hat ..... I didn't know the windows were such a long running issue since I'm new to the marque. I'll still bring it up though. Looks like that I might have to get a wee bottle filled with window cleaner and leave it in my door pocket - a normal chamois pad makes it worse!

·
Registered
998 Posts
i have heard people have significantly improved it by getting a cloth with plenty of glass cleaner such as windowlene & repeatedly lowering & raising the window

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Chrome cap on door handle pushed by my mother thinking it was the button. Simple fix,bit of silicone. smears Windows, hmmm it's a frameless window and or mini thing but had it on framelsss mr2 and fiat archetypal so not An issue for me,

some rubbing on b pillar clear film applies but it's user fault I think as you forget to clean this,grit accumulates and scratches the paint.

AS YOU CAN TELL TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THIS CAR. EVERY DRIVE EXCITES ME. loving it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the dull clunk/thud from the rear passenger area, but it is now solved, the boot false floor jumps when going over speed bumps etc.

The smearing on the side windows, mmm, it's not good, but it's down to soapy water getting on the seal and soaking in. I always give mine a good power wash, but then I dry all the areas water gets in to with a doggy dryer so I don't get the problem all the time, it's a pain when it's been raining. Another main culprit is if you use under diluted screen wash and it runs on to the side windows and down on to seals. The inside is caused by condensation.

Don't use Silicon on the rubber seals, it only helps in the short term, use a trim cleaner like Auto Finesse revive, it soaks in to the trim stops it squeaking and makes it all nice and black again.

Fuel economy is crap, Oh, no it isn't, I have learnt to drive it.
Recent trip to Dover from Leeds. :eek:

Attachments

Reactions: radical1

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Wow 76 mpg is v ery impressive. On my post fiat barchetta not whatever it was autocorrect mAde it. Oops

1 - 20 of 312 Posts