Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll begin with some background context. My house was built in about 1905 and is a typical stone built domestic dwelling of that period. It was rewired about 20 years ago, 10 years before I bought it. The reason for mentioning these things is that if you own/rent an older property which has not recently been rewired/upgraded you are quite likely to hit unexpected costs associated with the installation of a home charging point and in order to claim the OZEV grant you have to use an approved electrical contractor who will, quite rightly, follow the latest safety regulations to the letter. In my case this led to the following additional costs over and above the standard installation charges for:

1. Upgrading the consumer unit to accommodate a residual circuit breaker with over-current protection (RCBO).

2. Installation of cabling above a height of 2 metres.

3. Upgrading the earth bonding to the plumbing (water and gas).

4. The installation of an earth rod because the property failed the earth loop impedance test and no protective multiple earthing (PME) was available.

I think I was unlucky but be warned as the extras didn’t come cheap. The work was undertaken by a local electrician (approved) with a good reputation rather than a Pod Point nominated installer.

Turning to the Pod Point Solo, I should stress that none of the above issues arose as a result of the charging point itself and would have arisen whatever make/model I’d chosen. Overall I’m very happy with the Pod Point.

Although it cost £50 more my version has a tethered cable which means that I don’t have to mess around getting the loose cable in out of the car whenever charging is required. When not in use the cable simply wraps around the body of the unit. It comes with a built in protective earth neutral (PEN) device which obviates the need for a dedicated earth rod. The App is fairly basic but enables timed charging which is all I really need to take advantage of cheap rate electricity. There is a supplied energy clamp or current transformer (CT) which enables household consumption monitoring via the App although personally I don’t find it especially useful.

There are a couple of minor niggles that I should mention. I found the holster for the Type 2 connector awkward in use and have removed it so that the connector simply hangs by the side of the unit. The instructions for connecting the App wirelessly to an Android phone are inaccurate/inadequate but I got there in the end. It’s also important that the Pod Point gets a strong enough signal from the wireless router which for me meant relocating the router because of the thick stone walls of the house.

Font Gas Helmet Audio equipment Circle

Alan

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
375 Posts
I have the same unit with the tethered cable. Like you I didn’t want the faff of taking the cable out of the boot and as mine is located in the garage it is just much simpler when getting the car out. At 7m I can also connect to the car outside the garage if required (the Podpoint has one of the longer tethered cables).

I would agree with the Wi-fi connection having to be sound. Although it will work as a dummy unit even if the connection is lost, you just end up loosing app functions and charging data until it reconnects. Mine is connected to a dedicated RCBO next to the meter rather than the consumer unit but this was just easier for the installer. Just as a side story I have a friend who recently went for quotes from two different installers, his consumer unit is a few meters from the meter cupboard and further away from where the charger would be installed. One installer wanted to fit the RCBO in the consumer unit where the other would fit a dedicated RCBO next to the meter. The former was £300 more than the later!! He went with the cheaper option.

It may not be the smallest of units but all in all not a bad charger solution and from my experience it certainly seems reliable.

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just as a side story I have a friend who recently went for quotes from two different installers, his consumer unit is a few meters from the meter cupboard and further away from where the charger would be installed. One installer wanted to fit the RCBO in the consumer unit where the other would fit a dedicated RCBO next to the meter. The former was £300 more than the later!! He went with the cheaper option.
Goes to show how variable these things can be as it cost me less to have the RCBO fitted to the existing consumer unit as opposed to the installation of a separate switch.

I would agree with the Wi-fi connection having to be sound. Although it will work as a dummy unit even if the connection is lost, you just end up loosing app functions and charging data until it reconnects.
Unfortunately before I moved the router it was virtually impossible to get the two to connect at all. Not always sraightforward to relocate a router but relatively easy in my case I'm pleased to say.

Alan

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
375 Posts
Unfortunately before I moved the router it was virtually impossible to get the two to connect at all. Not always sraightforward to relocate a router but relatively easy in my case I'm pleased to say.
I purchased a Wi-fi power line adapter set as the router is the other side of the house. Base connects to the router and the other is in a socket close to the charger. I still get the odd drop out but 99% better than before.

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
155 Posts
My SE is due in November so I am furiously researching all this kind of stuff. Your review is very timely and useful, particularly the mention of the tethered cable length as this is an issue for my driveway, where I will need as long a cable as possible. I would prefer a tethered one but these are generally 5m which doesn't work, but a 7.5m one might (I'll be outside later with a measure!).

Do you know if rear-entry cabling is a possibility for these? I don't like seeing cables running around external walls (for example my satellite dish cabling goes straight through the wall behind the dish) so would prefer it the cabling could run through the wall rather than around it.

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know if rear-entry cabling is a possibility for these? I don't like seeing cables running around external walls (for example my satellite dish cabling goes straight through the wall behind the dish) so would prefer it the cabling could run through the wall rather than around it.
Standard installation charges for 7.4 kW home chargers generally provide for external cabling only regardless of make/model. Internal cabling would inevitably result in significant additional costs unless the charging point is located very close to the meter or consumer unit. Bear in mind as well that the supply cable is heavy duty and not easy to conceal.

Alan

·
Registered
155 Posts
Standard installation charges for 7.4 kW home chargers generally provide for external cabling only regardless of make/model. Internal cabling would inevitably result in significant additional costs unless the charging point is located very close to the meter or consumer unit. Bear in mind as well that the supply cable is heavy duty and not easy to conceal.

Alan
Good points. My preferred location is on an exterior wall between my garage and house (garage is integrated into the house). Cabling can be run from the consumer unit along the garage internally where I'd prefer to then channel through the wall to the outside. I appreciate this may not be within the 'standard installation' allowances.

I have subsequently answered my own question - Pod Point provide good documentation on their website, including installation instructions - the Solo unit has bottom, side and rear entry options. I guess I'll discuss with the installer when I get to that point.

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent! Sounds like it should be possible to hide the cable reasonably easily. Wasn't a realistic option in my case sadly.

Alan

·
Registered
155 Posts
To update on my PodPoint installation, the fitter was perfect - he was as fastidious as me about attention to detail and did a great job of drilling and running the cable so that it was neatly tacked to the wall internally and has a rear-entry to the box, meaning no cable visible externally. I am really pleased with it.

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news indeed. I'm still really pleased with the PodPoint and it's getting more use at the moment due to the freezing temperatures here reducing range by some considerable margin.

Alan

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
375 Posts
To update on my PodPoint installation, the fitter was perfect - he was as fastidious as me about attention to detail and did a great job of drilling and running the cable so that it was neatly tacked to the wall internally and has a rear-entry to the box, meaning no cable visible externally. I am really pleased with it.
Is it the new shape model?
I believe that it’s the same internal but not so big. Very pleased with ours which is the tethered version.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is it the new shape model?
I believe that it’s the same internal but not so big. Very pleased with ours which is the tethered version.
Don’t think so - it looks like all the others I have seen. Mine is tethered too - I chose it partly because of the longer cable which is plenty long enough for where I park.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
375 Posts
Don’t think so - it looks like all the others I have seen. Mine is tethered too - I chose it partly because of the longer cable which is plenty long enough for where I park.
IMO it makes a big difference when you don’t have to keep taking the cable out of the boot and putting it back!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts