Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
strange things happening to my '14 F56 today, first the hatch wouldn't open, no mater what I tried, it wasn't even clicking like it was trying. Then I went to wash my windows (after I had just been using the wipers an hour before) and I get a 'wipers have malfunctioned, see your mini service provider" error on the screen. Then....the two window motors were all bat crazy, working on their own or moving only an inch when you pushed the window button. Before I get to where I'm going minutes later the wipers come on all by themselves and I regain total control of the windows and hatch. wth?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
strange things happening to my '14 F56 today, first the hatch wouldn't open, no mater what I tried, it wasn't even clicking like it was trying. Then I went to wash my windows (after I had just been using the wipers an hour before) and I get a 'wipers have malfunctioned, see your mini service provider" error on the screen. Then....the two window motors were all bat crazy, working on their own or moving only an inch when you pushed the window button. Before I get to where I'm going minutes later the wipers come on all by themselves and I regain total control of the windows and hatch. wth?
Have your battery checked. My R56 started going bonkers right before the battery failed. I got weird error messages, the windows did crazy stuff, and the DRL re-enabled itself.

I know this is all BMW, but if the same drunken software guy (a leftover from Lucas, no doubt) wrote the Electrical Subsystem code, it's entirely possible that the MINI equivalent of Mad Cow disease may have infected our cars as well.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Have your battery checked. My R56 started going bonkers right before the battery failed. I got weird error messages, the windows did crazy stuff, and the DRL re-enabled itself.

I know this is all BMW, but if the same drunken software guy (a leftover from Lucas, no doubt) wrote the Electrical Subsystem code, it's entirely possible that the MINI equivalent of Mad Cow disease may have infected our cars as well.
For those of us old enough to remember, I long for the days where cars were totally controlled by the driver, not the other way around. The more my car is "mechanical" the better.

I agree with the battery disconnect logic...that works some times on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The OBC re-sets.

But, are electronics going to stop me from buying a MINI...heck no! A good reason to buy a new one too, because at least any bugs can be worked out under warranty!

My wife is going to let me buy the JCW I built on the MiniUSA Website, since her initials are "JCW"...sounds totally logical to me! :)

I'm just in that 'wait mode' now for 4 or 5 months so I can get the Getrag manual 6-speed transmission (which isn't ready for the JCW yet).

Happy Motoring,

John

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sometimes my shortcut to messages (4) activates itself - not fully, just to the extent of showing what's bound to that number (as if someone's gently put their finger on it).

Ghost in the Car ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
My dealership told me to be sure to hit the stop switch twice so everything shuts off before getting out to help save on battery strain. He said sometimes locking with the fob doesn't shut everything off for a while.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My dealership told me to be sure to hit the stop switch twice so everything shuts off before getting out to help save on battery strain. He said sometimes locking with the fob doesn't shut everything off for a while.
This.

It does sound like a weak battery to me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Dealer advice sounds like nonsense to me. The car should shut everything down long before the battery is getting low.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
OP's issue does not sound battery related.

When the car is locked, the systems do stay on for a few minutes before going to sleep, but if the battery level is low enough, they will shut off earlier. This is also true if the car is in accessory mode without the engine running - you'll get a battery warning and it starts shutting systems off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts