Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time mini owner. I've got a lot of features still to learn, some of this is probably already familiar to you veterans, but here's what I've learned so far. Not all will apply, depends on packages, etc:

- Color LED ring around the center stack is completely customizable. If you don't want a disco you can turn it off. Mine is set to only show events such as adjusting the volume, changing the ambient lighting and changing A/C controls. You can do heartbeat, RPM indicator or ambient lighting if you want it to be on the whole time. For those that complain it's tacky, it's easy to turn off like I did and have it only show on certain events. It's under settings.

- Dayime running LEDs are customizable (for those that have them). I actually turned mine off. I thought it just a little pretentious to have them always on during the day, but that's personal preference. Shame that my LEDs will not go used during the day haha.

- Music inputs - talk about options. I can think of no less than at least four ways to enjoy music from a phone or iPod - cradle, audio cable, USB cable, bluetooth streaming. No one should have a problem being able to connect your phone or iPod. I have an android phone. More options too - USB stick with MPs and if you have the HDD you can transfer music to the HDD too.

- Driving mode customization - like the throttle response of sport mode but not not the suspension settings? You can change this in the settings for driving modes. You can decide what Sport and Green will do. Curious to know if you can change steering response separate, I didn't see that though.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's not just which options you;ve chosen, it's which country your car is in as well. For example, in Europe I'm sure you won't be able to disable daytime running lights.

I don't think I have any settings for configuring sport mode... but I don't have variable damper control.

My best tip so far is to use the buttons around the idrive controller... they basically get you directly to the top level menu options.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not just which options you;ve chosen, it's which country your car is in as well. For example, in Europe I'm sure you won't be able to disable daytime running lights.

I don't think I have any settings for configuring sport mode... but I don't have variable damper control.

My best tip so far is to use the buttons around the idrive controller... they basically get you directly to the top level menu options.
Great point about country specifics. I almost committed a cardinal sin by complaining about the audio controls on the steering wheel. For me in the U.S. I couldn't figure out why the audio controls were on the right, it means I can't shift (6-speed manual) and work the audio controls at the same time (need my right hand for both). Then I remembered - this is a UK car and on right hand drive your left hand shifts, so it makes sense the audio controls are for the right hand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great point about country specifics. I almost committed a cardinal sin by complaining about the audio controls on the steering wheel. For me in the U.S. I couldn't figure out why the audio controls were on the right, it means I can't shift (6-speed manual) and work the audio controls at the same time (need my right hand for both). Then I remembered - this is a UK car and on right hand drive your left hand shifts, so it makes sense the audio controls are for the right hand.

A good theory, but incorrect, I think. BMW has moved audio controls to the right side on all their current models. I am used to their being on the left too, and don't like the switch, but I'm used to it already.

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW-2-Series-Steering.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
The limit button inside the cruise control buttons let you set a max speed. Great around town if there are speed cameras etc. If you floor it you override it too!

Just touch the 6 buttons below the media on off switch, and they show you what t :) eye do. You can configure these to do lots of things.

Input, where do I start, if you have media xl and sat nav you have voice control, handwriting recognition or use the I drive controller to select. Amazing.mind you still not good at any of these!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Speaking of radio buttons on the steering wheel... Do you guys find it odd that the volume up and down functions are on the left and right buttons and the <<<Previous song and >>> next song functions are up and down buttons? Seems backwards to me
The up/down positioning of track selection buttons make sense if you have the HUD.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Why?

I have wondered also what's up with the goofy button orientation. How does the HUD make it non-goofy? (I have a HUD on order on my JCW). Thanks

Because when you press the track buttons it displays the song title selection in a scrolling list. You press up and down to move the selection up and down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
I can't see a problem with it; the volume left right coincides with the volume slider on the central screen-simple so track up down for me is fine- i know the central ones aren't but after 5 mins use it all becomes completely natural , or did to me!
Like wise tracks appear vertically like a computer on a central screen, not left to right, so the buttons make total sense to me; it simply old fashioned to have a track from left to right and based i think on old cassette player fast fwd etc mentality. Computers list tracks vertically so happy with that! Much easier on the wheel than fiddling and taking eyes off the road and as you say tracks appear as choices on the hud to corresponds perfectly. You'll get used to it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Using Bimmercode (paid) on your phone along with a compatible OBD2 (diagnostics port) plug, you can go all the way with customizations to your Mini. As long as you know what you're doing of course :) The app starts in a quite comprehensible 'simple mode' with plain-English descriptions of the options you have. When you feel comfortable enough, you could go further in advanced mode. With a little help from the interwebs of course.

I've got quite a long list of things I've changed, but the ones I like the most are:
  • Disabled seat belt warning on engine start
  • Auto-zoom navigation map on exits/turns while navigating in 3d perspective
  • Let windows go all the way up while I'm opening the door (normally stops when you do that)
  • A few extra wipes after windscreen cleaning

·
Registered
Mini F54 Clubman Cooper S
134 Posts
"Auto-zoom navigation map on exits/turns while navigating in 3d perspective"

I have Bimmercode (full version paid) but where can I find this option?

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Auto-zoom navigation map on exits/turns while navigating in 3d perspective"

I have Bimmercode (full version paid) but where can I find this option?
Terribly sorry for my late reply, but as another user said here, you have to scream at your voice assistant 'auto zoom on', as there is no button anywhere for it. This will obviously only work when you unlocked the feature in Bimmercode, which you've already done if I read correctly.
'Auto zoom aan' in het Nederlands :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts