Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

One of the many reasons I bought my MINI "S" is because of an article I read a few months ago (around the time I bought). I'm sure it's old news here, where BMW claims they can get 300HP reliably from the B48 (I think also with same turbo as in the "S"). One of the issues with the MINI "S" topped at 189HP is space limit for a larger intercooler.

So, I was expecting to see different intercooler in JCW. By pics alone, it looks the same. So I'm wondering what is different between our "S" and the JCW. Specifically why JCW rated at 230HP and "JCW upgrade" for "S" around 208HP.

Any thoughts are appreciated, any facts are greatly encouraged. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
There'll be a remap an air filter improvement and freer flowing exhaust. That may be enough. This engine has bags of potential!

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This engine has bags of potential!
Stop, you're making me feel tingly all over. :D

So do we know if it's only "bolt-on" type upgrades for the JCW? Nothing internal engine?

Has anyone done an intake/exhaust/retune/dyno on an F56 yet? Or still waiting for parts to catch up?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

So do we know if it's only "bolt-on" type upgrades for the JCW? Nothing internal engine?

Has anyone done an intake/exhaust/retune/dyno on an F56 yet? Or still waiting for parts to catch up?
Somebody has run the f56 through a dyno They found that the engine actually did better than BMW's spec by a bit. I'll see if I can find the website.

I have the same questions as you. I suspect that with the headroom of the B48 engine, the practical limit on boosting power is directly related to the surrounding components (drivetrain, chassis).

I'm just a teeny bit bitter that the JCW is going to have such a boost while we get the leftovers in the JCW tune. I originally tried to buy a JCW, only to find that the hardtop is not available yet. Bummer. I am hoping that tuning kit will be good enough for umpteen thou$and dollar$ less.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also think BMW intentionally went with lower hp for different reasons, such as going for no torque-steer, throttle-responsiveness, smooth power curve and not to forget they need to make it less powerful so you'll want to upgrade to the JCW once that arrives.

Also I've seen some dynos of the stock engine getting just a bit over 200hp so I'm guessing they quote a 189hp rating so they'll be safe in the countries that run a lower quality fuel.

With a decent remap you should be able to push around 230hp, add a full freeflow exhaust, new air intake and a better intercooler and the numbers should be good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With a decent remap you should be able to push around 230hp, add a full freeflow exhaust, new air intake and a better intercooler and the numbers should be good.

When you say "full free flow", are you talking from the block?
Does anyone know stock exhaust diameter?
Has anyone done an intake or checked out better/bigger intercooler?
Does anyone know what the boost is, and what the turbo unit is (safely) capable of?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know what the boost is, and what the turbo unit is (safely) capable of?

Yes, although it could be possible that there's not much to gain from a new exhaust. Most cat-back systems rarely give much if any power.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Superchips are going to develop a Remap at some point in December.. They have a car available to do this on, but if that falls through they have my car as a backup..
As soon as it's available I will post on here...

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
The stock exhaust is 2.35inches and its 409 stainless steel. There are a few tuners that have intakes. 1- Vip Mini, 2- Cravenspeed;)

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Modifications like this always reduce vehicle lifespan, reliability and resale value. Is it really worth all that grief for a little more wide open throttle power? I have found that the tip-in effect of such mods is rarely even noticeable.

I once had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari 360. It wasn't the most powerful car I have ever driven but it all worked so beautifully well together, it was like driving a symphony.

Leave your MCS as designed or buy a JCW if you really want it and pass your unmodified MCS to an owner who will appreciate the beautiful balance of power and chassis that the designers intended.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Modifications like this always reduce vehicle lifespan, reliability and resale value. Is it really worth all that grief for a little more wide open throttle power? I have found that the tip-in effect of such mods is rarely even noticeable.

I once had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari 360. It wasn't the most powerful car I have ever driven but it all worked so beautifully well together, it was like driving a symphony.

Leave your MCS as designed or buy a JCW if you really want it and pass your unmodified MCS to an owner who will appreciate the beautiful balance of power and chassis that the designers intended.
I agree. I have to wonder if the fact that I added the JCW tune to my 2010 R56 contributed to the ultimate engine failure. When they took the engine out of the car, the clutch was also pretty much shot. What did I get? A smoother torque curve, a more responsive engine. Slightly more power at lower RPM. Worth it? Arguably not.

The JCW tune looks to be much milder than what some of these people are doing to their cars. I'm going to guess that they will see some problems down the road, especially if they drive it like I drove my R56 (Power! Wheee!)

That said, when does the JCW tune come out for the F56? >:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I assume all will be clear when it's released. If it's the same as the r56 you could buy it to add on!

True, and they have. The MINI "JCW upgrade for the 'S' " brings HP from 189 to 209. I'm curious what the JCW model has that gets it to 230 HP.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looking at the BMW website for the 2 series which I gather has the same engine as the MCS I see a rated HP of 241. That leads me to believe that with the right combination of tune and maybe different equipment, the engine can easily do the job. I think the FWD drivetrain is the limiting feature. What have they done to the JCW gearbox, clutch and axle assemblies to support that much HP without having it taco out all over the road?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

<snip>

Wise & true words indeed... whoops, there they go out the other ear. :D

You are right, of course. The more extreme the mods, the shorter the life span, heat being a major contributor as well as higher forces acting on parts. That's the compromise. But, oh, the glorious pay-off. It's the price I knowingly pay for this need in my sole, vs. the money I have to buy what I want upfront. The JCW would be amazing, but my bank account says "no, it wouldn't". Easier to go with a lower pmt, then add on as able. Unless anyone wants to make donations to the "JCW for Roger" fund? :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking at the BMW website for the 2 series which I gather has the same engine as the MCS I see a rated HP of 241. That leads me to believe that with the right combination of tune and maybe different equipment, the engine can easily do the job.
BMW says they can get 300 HP reliably from a turbo B48. I believe that was with the same turbo unit as in the MINI S, but it requires a bigger intercooler than their design allows for the MINI. So the engine has much untapped potential but it is a matter of doing it "smart" vs. just doing it. :)

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.