Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 F54 BMW Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as some of us are aware, older Mini's have had a restricted app, which has now disappeared from the app stores as it's no longer supported.

BMW/Mini say that these cars can't support the newer app due to having 3G sims instead of 4G. They also say there is no retrofit/upgrade path.

We also know that just because they say something can't be done, doesn't mean that is actually the case.

So

Does anyone know where the SIM is located? And if changed (I'm aware the hardware would need to be switched as well), if there's any chance of getting it working?

·
Registered
2017 MINI Cooper D hatch
2 Posts
I'm also very curious to see if someone is able to find a workaround.
I do, however, have serious doubts that it can be done...
That's because the new MINI app requires you to input your VIN, so I'm guessing there's something going on in the backend that ties your VIN number to what kind of system your car is running...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats helpful, however my 'old' E70 X5 also has a 3G sim and the app for that car supports remote lock/unlock, location search, send destination to car, remaining fuel. No real reason (as a user) why the 3G mini app cant support all this...

·
Premium Member
2016 F54 BMW Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm also very curious to see if someone is able to find a workaround.
I do, however, have serious doubts that it can be done...
That's because the new MINI app requires you to input your VIN, so I'm guessing there's something going on in the backend that ties your VIN number to what kind of system your car is running...
Quite probably.

Thats helpful, however my 'old' E70 X5 also has a 3G sim and the app for that car supports remote lock/unlock, location search, send destination to car, remaining fuel. No real reason (as a user) why the 3G mini app cant support all this...
Because Mini is BMWs poor cousin 🤷

1 - 5 of 5 Posts