Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So my new Cooper SE has now been built and waiting to be delivered to the dealer!

I’ve read a number of threads on Preconditioning. I just wanted someone to explain it further to me.

In the mornings when I leave for work, I can leave at a number of different times, ranging from 06:20 to 06:40 and would like to precondition.

Is the best way to do this to just set the departure time to 06:45? Will the car have even started preconditioning if I left at 06:20?
If I set departure time to 06:20, will it stop preconditioning at that time? Or keep “ticking over” until I leave at 06:40?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
129 Posts
We need to be clear on what we mean by ‘preconditioning’. In EV terminology this can mean the process where the battery is warmed or cooled to optimum charging / operating temperature. In most EV cars this is automatic and charging system determines the setting.

WhatI think you mean is the very useful feature of ‘Pre- air conditioning’. This is where you can set the car to optimise the temperature in the cabin before you get in and drive off. This is controlled by the optional settings in the App or in the In-car controls. It can be set independently from the charging BUT can also be set for a given departure time linked to your charging schedule. You can also switch it on and off independently and at
through the App on your phone.

This pre-air conditioning in my experience is extremely efficient, compared to a Dinosaur car. The heating to ‘comfortable’ in winter takes around 10 minutes. Cooling in summer depends whether the car is parked in full sun, whether you have the optional heat reflecting glass, and the inside temperature it starts with. But again, I found it to be quick.

There are arguments for and against whether to operate these functions when the car is NOT connected to the charger. Personally and given the ‘short range’ I prefer to do the winter preheating linked to a departure time when the car is doings it’s overnight charge. Even though it is parked in our garage, when it is -10C outside, it is still a real plus point to get into the car at 18C rather than drive off in a winter coat and wait for the heater to warm things up.

Enjoy your car! I am sure you will.

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
251 Posts
I'd agree that the earlier time should be OK for a later departure (at the waste of a small amount of energy). Alternatively set it for the later time and remember to manually trigger it for the earlier departures. I usually remember about 5-10 minutes before I leave and it is already getting warm when I get to it. In mid-winter it'll take longer to defrost the windows and warm the cabin, but as said above, it does a very good job it it and warms up really quickly even when you get into it stone cold.

If you set a charge schedule and enable the precondition before departure, it should be charged and warm when you want to leave. Or you can just use "charge immediately" and separately set up a preconditioning schedule. Or do it manually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is no (battery) preconditioning on the MINI that you can control.
It only has charging plan for charging at night for example at a lower tariff and climate control.
You could also in theory limit charging to a percentage if you do the math but have not tried this, i.e. tell the car you will leave at the specific time it reaches 80% charge (you'll have to calculate this based on the current SoC and average charging rate).
The climate control heats or cools the cabin (as needed) to a target temperature of 22degC. I believe it starts cooling/heating 15min before departure time but do not quote me on the figures for the temp/time.
Edit: For the climate control function it is recommended for the car to be plugged-in as it uses solely power from the grid to run the AC, if unplugged it will use up the battery, how much I do not know 2%, more?
Edit2: On second thought it makes more sense to use the cars battery to run the heat pump/resistance heating and then top up lost energy via the charging cable as cooling/heating may have a peak draw of 2-6kW on a very cold/hot cabin but you may be suppling way below that. I assume the manual does not go into detail.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Battery preconditioning is a standard part of most EV so the battery operates under the optimal temperature. I was told by the dealer this included the Mini. But is not something the owner can control. Again people confuse ‘pre-condition’ with ‘pre-air conditioning’.

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
I am under the impression if you precondition ie set it to warm or cool the car the battery does too. If you don't obviously the battery is warmed on the go which isn't as efficient. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What I think it does is charge the car immediately to 95% and then charge the last 5% just before you leave while heating the cabin via the heat pump/resistance heating. This way the battery is “warm” as it has been charging (that last 5% heats it up), the cabin is also warm (22 degC) with zero range loss (battery is kept fully charged). So when you start your trip with a warm battery/cabin the efficiency is high as no need to spend energy heating both, it’s like fake preconditioning similar to fake tpms working off the abs sensors instead measuring tyre pressure via sensors in the valve. You can test this if you live in sub-zero climate. I am willing to bet you will start your journey with a few bars missing, car cannot warm the battery as system not in place, bars will increase as you travel and battery/motor heat up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well the manual says "The system is switched off automatically after a certain period of time." which isn't very german like:)
I have never used it so do not know how it works (if there is any indication of it while running).
It would be then "easy" to record it if that was the case.
I remember reading somewhere the i3 would run the AC 30min after your departure and then switch off but cannot confirm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts