Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since the F56 does not offer a cd player, like previous gens, those of us who don't have the wherewithall or the options of having the electronic gizmos, mp3 players, etc. OK, I'm old, but not stupid...I just prefer the old way of doing things! :)

I had an idea....instead of me fooling around figuring out how to download the music I want onto my computer then to a USB stick so I can actually listen to the music I prefer when driving, I was thinking there "has to be" a company (ies) out there who will do this for me right?...I give them a listing of music I want and they will load the USB stick for me, for a modest fee...right?

Anyone do this?...any recommendations?

I ordered my JCW with the the HK Sound system, that's it...nothing else in the way of options in the center pod...I'll be listening to the engine most of the time, or the radio, so I am just planning ahead for figuring out a way to listen to Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, The Yardbirds, Grand Funk Railroad, etc. when I feel like it (with as little hassle as possible).

Thanks for your suggestions,

John

·
Registered
890 Posts
Love your choice of music, could add a few more but that would open the floodgates!

The problem I see with your idea is that old one of copyright and who owns the tracks that you want put onto a USB stick.

If you supplied the digitised tracks, having paid for and downloaded them, or even the original CDs then they could be put onto a stick by a third party, but then you may as well do it yourself!

Or maybe I am thinking I see a problem that would not be a problem, so to speak?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love your choice of music, could add a few more but that would open the floodgates!
The problem I see with your idea is that old one of copyright and who owns the tracks that you want put onto a USB stick.
If you supplied the digitised tracks, having paid for and downloaded them, or even the original CDs then they could be put onto a stick by a third party, but then you may as well do it yourself!
Or maybe I am thinking I see a problem that would not be a problem, so to speak?

Ha! Yes, those of us who were teenagers in the 60's "did" have the absolutely best choices in music imo!...not that there haven't been great bands since (U2 is a fav of mine). I hadn't thought of copyright...I wouldn't even think of having anything downloaded that wasn't paid for and above board. I'd think a company that did this might fit a niche market for those of us who really just don't want the bother or hassle of downloading music ourselves.
I do have an M3 player that sits idle in my desk drawer...so, I suppose I can just load what I want onto that and plug it into the port in the console...but, honestly, I'd really rather just pay someone else to do it for me!

Reactions: johnan

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.............I do have an M3 player that sits idle in my desk drawer...so, I suppose I can just load what I want onto that and plug it into the port in the console...but, honestly, I'd really rather just pay someone else to do it for me!
Meant to type "M3P player"..not the car (M3)...ha!

Still open to suggestions...probably not too many takers, since it's so easy for most people to do this stuff themselves....not me though! I just don't care to fool with it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
you could bypass the whole mp3 download generation & skip straight to a Spotify subscription. for the cost of one CD per month (£9.99) you have access to pretty much anything you will ever want, plus Spotify is fully integrated with the car's system

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spotify looks great, but it still requires me to do all the work....is it as simple as choosing music I like and create various folders in my playlist? Can that be saved to the USB stick then? When on the USB stick will my radio be able to scroll through the playlist and choose the song I want to hear?

I assume I have to do everything on my computer first though, since I don't have anything but the radio in the car....no visual boost, no mini connected, nothing. Does the stock radio and on board systems allow me to do operate the playlist from my steering wheel?

If so, this may be a viable option...as long as spotify is that easy to use.

·
Registered
998 Posts
spotify itself couldnt be easier; search for an artist, album or track, select it & save it to your music. You can't download anything however, its all linked to your account through spotifys servers.

i don;t have any experience of the stock radio but spotfiy can all be controlled on your phone. i'm pretty sure you need mini connected to get the spotify integration but i'm not 100% sure on this

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can save music offline when you're with Wi-Fi on spotify. This is useful if you're not wanting to use up your phone data, especially when abroad.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
I use spotify. Download the tracks you want to your phone so you're not depending on data and Bluetooth connect to the car. Streams really well and the steering wheel controls allow you to move between tracks though on my Android phone not between albums or playlists. Can see them on the hud too. Fab.

Reactions: PAMini

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, apparently I will need to take a course in "How to Play Music in my MINI 101" when my car arrives. I'll probably just listen to the am & fm radio for awhile! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You need to find a tame geek to help you with this. Any student with some time on their hands who wants to earn a few dollars pocket money. It's quite time consuming to "rip" music from a CD to a computer and then copy it to USB. You can get hundreds of albums onto a 64gb USB stick.
On the plus side, the software is available free of charge. Another advantage is being able to rip a whole CD as a single MP3 file. You lose the ability to play single tracks but you do get to hear the album played seamlessly without little gaps. I find this suits classical music as well as prog rock albums like dark side of the moon which should always be listened to in it's entirety!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have never used Spotify as a co-worker had it and it deleted all her saved stuff after 6 months of using it. I decided to do some research and went to the Spotify site. Very pretty site and completely devoid of actual information. There is a video (they call it a FILM) that is awesome people listening to music in cool situations. Told me nothing about how to get the service, what devices it uses, etc. Just a pretty video and an option to download. Kind of frustrating as I like information! Then I found this article. http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/why-i-have-to-quit-spotify/

In my current MINI I have an iPod loaded with about 1500 songs that I've bought over the past 5 or so years (at least half is from my CD collection). As I recall I paid my children to sit and download all the CDs I wanted to transfer, easy work for a teen and I came home and it was done! I just leave it plugged in in the car full-time. I occasionally take it out and sync it to add new stuff but that's about it.
I use Pandora in my house when I'm in need of a change so I guess that will be my backup in the MINI.

Annette

·
Registered
162 Posts
Samsung is offering an app powered by Slacker called Milk. I listen to it on my tablet at home. It has been advertisement free since I started with it and I do not pay for a service. I don't know if that is just to lure people in to something new and it will change eventually and ask you to pay or start seeing commercials. Right now it seems to be a perk for having a Samsung device, seems like if they change that then you might as well use Spotify.

I have Sirius Xm which I love. I am reluctant to pay for any other service because of the cost of having satellite radio.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
We subscribe to notify premium. Seems pretty good. Vast selection of albums etc and no issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick question, I've loaded up a USB with about 2000 songs set to random.
If I want to skip a song with the iDrive I can (hit the right arrow) and it selects another random song, but if I use the steering wheel controls to skip to the next track, it picks the next one alphabetically, not one at random.

Is that something you guys have noticed as well?

·
Registered
95 Posts
USB CD player?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Epartsdom-WP119-Brand-External-USB/dp/9573212919[/ame]

:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts