Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since the F56 does not offer a cd player, like previous gens, those of us who don't have the wherewithall or the options of having the electronic gizmos, mp3 players, etc. OK, I'm old, but not stupid...I just prefer the old way of doing things! :)

I had an idea....instead of me fooling around figuring out how to download the music I want onto my computer then to a USB stick so I can actually listen to the music I prefer when driving, I was thinking there "has to be" a company (ies) out there who will do this for me right?...I give them a listing of music I want and they will load the USB stick for me, for a modest fee...right?

Anyone do this?...any recommendations?

I ordered my JCW with the the HK Sound system, that's it...nothing else in the way of options in the center pod...I'll be listening to the engine most of the time, or the radio, so I am just planning ahead for figuring out a way to listen to Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, The Yardbirds, Grand Funk Railroad, etc. when I feel like it (with as little hassle as possible).

Thanks for your suggestions,

John

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love your choice of music, could add a few more but that would open the floodgates!
The problem I see with your idea is that old one of copyright and who owns the tracks that you want put onto a USB stick.
If you supplied the digitised tracks, having paid for and downloaded them, or even the original CDs then they could be put onto a stick by a third party, but then you may as well do it yourself!
Or maybe I am thinking I see a problem that would not be a problem, so to speak?

Ha! Yes, those of us who were teenagers in the 60's "did" have the absolutely best choices in music imo!...not that there haven't been great bands since (U2 is a fav of mine). I hadn't thought of copyright...I wouldn't even think of having anything downloaded that wasn't paid for and above board. I'd think a company that did this might fit a niche market for those of us who really just don't want the bother or hassle of downloading music ourselves.
I do have an M3 player that sits idle in my desk drawer...so, I suppose I can just load what I want onto that and plug it into the port in the console...but, honestly, I'd really rather just pay someone else to do it for me!

Reactions: johnan

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.............I do have an M3 player that sits idle in my desk drawer...so, I suppose I can just load what I want onto that and plug it into the port in the console...but, honestly, I'd really rather just pay someone else to do it for me!
Meant to type "M3P player"..not the car (M3)...ha!

Still open to suggestions...probably not too many takers, since it's so easy for most people to do this stuff themselves....not me though! I just don't care to fool with it.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spotify looks great, but it still requires me to do all the work....is it as simple as choosing music I like and create various folders in my playlist? Can that be saved to the USB stick then? When on the USB stick will my radio be able to scroll through the playlist and choose the song I want to hear?

I assume I have to do everything on my computer first though, since I don't have anything but the radio in the car....no visual boost, no mini connected, nothing. Does the stock radio and on board systems allow me to do operate the playlist from my steering wheel?

If so, this may be a viable option...as long as spotify is that easy to use.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, apparently I will need to take a course in "How to Play Music in my MINI 101" when my car arrives. I'll probably just listen to the am & fm radio for awhile! :)

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
yep it will minman. it will take a couple of minutes first time to read the usb stick, especially one so big, but once it has you will be able to search by artist/album/genre/track and use either the steering wheel controls or the control pad.

You will not have access to itunes playlists though, the mini software does not recognise them
So this works on a standard radio with the HK sound system? Because that's all I have.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Awesome!

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
02, I'll write you a checklist!
1. Insert USB into computer
2. Open folder with your music
3. Click on USB drive icon to open
4. Drag song from folder in 2 to folder in 3
5. Yank USB out of computer
6. Cram USB drive in car's USB slot
7. Jam
No need to create special folders or anything. Just click, drag, enjoy. Believe me, if you can run the car, you can create a stick full of ear candy.

HA! Too funny......I'm gonna print that out and follow those directions! ;)
My little Midnight buddy is waiting for the ship as we speak!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.