Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
575 Posts
Spotify looks great, but it still requires me to do all the work....is it as simple as choosing music I like and create various folders in my playlist? Can that be saved to the USB stick then? When on the USB stick will my radio be able to scroll through the playlist and choose the song I want to hear?

I assume I have to do everything on my computer first though, since I don't have anything but the radio in the car....no visual boost, no mini connected, nothing. Does the stock radio and on board systems allow me to do operate the playlist from my steering wheel?

If so, this may be a viable option...as long as spotify is that easy to use.
http://www.planetrock.com/general/listening-online/

· Registered
998 Posts
Quick question, I've loaded up a USB with about 2000 songs set to random.
If I want to skip a song with the iDrive I can (hit the right arrow) and it selects another random song, but if I use the steering wheel controls to skip to the next track, it picks the next one alphabetically, not one at random.

Is that something you guys have noticed as well?
Yes. You will also notice that if you use the car's random function it will reset the randomiser each journey. This means you end up with a smaller set of tracks playing each time rather than selecting from the whole set.

· Registered
122 Posts
You will need your music on either a flash drive or a phone eventually. I suggest flash drive.
If you are a cd person, then you won't be too bothered about having your entire collection with you; that's good because ripping CDs is boring.

I'd suggest you buy a flash drive; they are dirt cheap.
Rip 1 cd
Play it in the car
When you get bored, rip another.....

Soon you will have a good collection.

If you have been buying CDs from Amazon, they may well be ripped for you; Amazon give you the MP3 as soon as you buy the cd

It's not very difficult, and you don't have to do it all at once

· Registered
11 Posts
We haven't picked up our MINI yet but are already trying to get our music trip together. I have a 125GB memory stick and just loaded our complete iTunes with our whole music library onto it. I'm hoping we'll be able to access the songs from either the joystick or the steering wheel. Anyone have any knowledge whether this will be possible or not?

· Registered
998 Posts
yep it will minman. it will take a couple of minutes first time to read the usb stick, especially one so big, but once it has you will be able to search by artist/album/genre/track and use either the steering wheel controls or the control pad.

You will not have access to itunes playlists though, the mini software does not recognise them

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
yep it will minman. it will take a couple of minutes first time to read the usb stick, especially one so big, but once it has you will be able to search by artist/album/genre/track and use either the steering wheel controls or the control pad.

You will not have access to itunes playlists though, the mini software does not recognise them
So this works on a standard radio with the HK sound system? Because that's all I have.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Awesome!

· Registered
505 Posts
02, I'll write you a checklist!

1. Insert USB into computer
2. Open folder with your music
3. Click on USB drive icon to open
4. Drag song from folder in 2 to folder in 3
5. Yank USB out of computer
6. Cram USB drive in car's USB slot
7. Jam

No need to create special folders or anything. Just click, drag, enjoy. Believe me, if you can run the car, you can create a stick full of ear candy.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
7. Jam
No need to create special folders or anything. Just click, drag, enjoy. Believe me, if you can run the car, you can create a stick full of ear candy.

HA! Too funny......I'm gonna print that out and follow those directions! ;)
My little Midnight buddy is waiting for the ship as we speak!

· Registered
1 Posts

7. Jam

7. Jam

I have a R56 2012 with Visual Boost.
Loads a ton of MP3 onto good quality USB. Fat32

Plug the USB stick into usb port.
All great for a minute or two, then music stops, few seconds later the display shows black screen with mini logo. Changes to radio.

Have tried this with 2 USBs, same problem

· Banned
7 Posts
In today's media-driven world, music streaming has become a hot market but all streaming music contents cannot be saved to a USB due to the copyright. For example, if you want to copy Spotify music to USB, you may need to convert Spotify music to plain audio formats first. Using a Spotify music converter like Tunelf, it is easy to download music from Spotify and convert them to several common audio formats.

· Registered
14 Posts

Hey there!
I’ve been mucking about with iTunes playlists for a while and have for them to work :)

here’s what I did...

put all my iTunes music on to the usb in a folder called “Music”

then exported all my playlists from iTunes and copied them to the root of the usb drive (so in the drive is has all the playlists and a folder called “Music” with all your music in it.

Then this is the bit I had to fiddle with.
If you open up a playlist in say text edit (I’m on a Mac btw) you’ll see a list of all the tunes form that playlist and the a file path to where it was ON YOUR COMPUTER!!! so what you need to do is edit the line to point it to the music on the usb!!! .This took a few how’s to figure out ;)

so on the Mac - I’m sure there’s a similar way to do it on a pc.
I highlight the file path up until Music. And copy.
Then highlight all the list in text edit and right click to “rename” go to remove and paste in all the info you just copied. Press ok and you should notice that the playlist file path now matches the file path from the usb!

plug it in the car and yay! You have all your iTunes playlists!!

it’s a little fiddly but quick when you get into it’

good luck :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.