Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The price of a litre of diesel here is now around £1.50 a litre!
For £1.50 I can get a full charge on Octopus Go Faster into the SE!
So that's four and a half charges for the price of a gallon of diesel!
Say 60 miles in an average diesel car, around 540 in the Mini for the same cost!
Certainly makes you think!

share.octopus.energy/gray-eland-134

·
Registered
364 Posts
if only the government would price cap fuel rather than use the tax to pay for hospitals and schools and subsidies for people who can afford electric cars, then we Would all enjoy cheap motoring :censored:

in the interest of balance I can drive 540 miles on my tank of diesel.
I had the last plane out of Birmingham this time last week to Düsseldorf plan b was to drive overnight if needed. (No flights Saturday).

if I did that journey via electric mini I’d have only just arrived if I relied on cheap overnight charges and that’s assuming I could get some along the way. Paying the supercharger rate to save journey times is more expensive than diesel.

I am constantly amazed by people who tell me how cheap an electric car is to run, but when you look at the details the highest cost per mile of almost any car has hardly ever been the juice, It would take some convincing that chopping in my SD and running an electric car over the next 4 years would save me any money at all, what’s the px/guaranteed value at 4 years and 80,000 miles :ROFLMAO:

City commute or retirement 5k pa, garage to charge in then sign me up tomorrow, I’m converted 👍

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
I think if you look at Andrews costings on the se site and look at the PCP projected final values at the mo you'll see that the ev saves you plenty but is more fun in the process too. We find ours more fun to drive than the jcw we swapped it for cheaper to insure no road tax and cheaper servicing potentially but no mini dealer yet gives a proper quote . At180 mpg at mo were laughing all the way to the bank plus we live in a village with nearest petrol 12 mike's, no tedious planning of trips for fuel . You can tell I'm a convert but still keeping Dino for long trips and the motorbikes for fun although I've grabbed the mini keys over the bikes a lot this year.

Reactions: Blue al

·
Registered
25 Posts
If my conversions are right, the current diesel price in the US is about £0.67 per liter.

A full charge (28.9 kWh) costs me $0.1014 per kWh so just $2.93 or £2.14. That would be 3.2 liters of diesel using the US rates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This has had me thinking recently... I have a 2017 SD with 48k on the clock and the PCP is due up in April.

I travel 25-30 miles each way 5-6 times a week so around 15k/year. I get around 500 miles from a tank which cost me £60 this week to fill :oops: so it's around the 12p/mile mark.

I'm with Octopus for energy so could move to their EV tariff and if I did all my charging in the EV time slot the Mini SE would be around 1.3p/mile, but even on standard electricity rates it's 4.7/mile.

My journey is around 20 miles on the motorway half at 70, half at about 50 - how doe the SE fair at those speeds realistically?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if only the government would price cap fuel rather than use the tax to pay for hospitals and schools and subsidies for people who can afford electric cars, then we Would all enjoy cheap motoring :censored:

in the interest of balance I can drive 540 miles on my tank of diesel.
I had the last plane out of Birmingham this time last week to Düsseldorf plan b was to drive overnight if needed. (No flights Saturday).

if I did that journey via electric mini I’d have only just arrived if I relied on cheap overnight charges and that’s assuming I could get some along the way. Paying the supercharger rate to save journey times is more expensive than diesel.

I am constantly amazed by people who tell me how cheap an electric car is to run, but when you look at the details the highest cost per mile of almost any car has hardly ever been the juice, It would take some convincing that chopping in my SD and running an electric car over the next 4 years would save me any money at all, what’s the px/guaranteed value at 4 years and 80,000 miles :ROFLMAO:

City commute or retirement 5k pa, garage to charge in then sign me up tomorrow, I’m converted 👍
Yes I agree with you completely! Long trips in a Mini SE no good at all. If it fits in with your lifestyle it's great.
I'm retired 5k miles per year, garage to charge in etc. I drive purely for fun!
Last time I filled my X5 the range read 729 miles but it cost me £120!
I was just saying it makes you think, pound for smiles it's unbeatable!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This has had me thinking recently... I have a 2017 SD with 48k on the clock and the PCP is due up in April.

I travel 25-30 miles each way 5-6 times a week so around 15k/year. I get around 500 miles from a tank which cost me £60 this week to fill :oops: so it's around the 12p/mile mark.

I'm with Octopus for energy so could move to their EV tariff and if I did all my charging in the EV time slot the Mini SE would be around 1.3p/mile, but even on standard electricity rates it's 4.7/mile.

My journey is around 20 miles on the motorway half at 70, half at about 50 - how doe the SE fair at those speeds realistically?
I would say your commute would fit in ideally with an SE just plug it in at night and you'd be ready to go in the morning. I would recommend the Ohme charger through Octopus. You can set it via a phone app. Mine is set to only charge at the 5p per kHw rate so there's no times to set just plug in and forget.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
334 Posts

I would agree with @Red Mini that your journey will easily fit in with the mini's range. Realistically you'll end up putting it on charge every day in the winter though but may get 2 days in the summer as 60 miles a day is around that halfway mark for real-world max range. The mini has no problem with the motorway but like all EV's it's a range sapper and there's no regen benefit. I'm getting about 1.1p/mile at the moment with home charging and that's mixed driving, not conservative! Not saying pure motorway journeys will give the same result but it certainly won't be 12p/mile.

·
Registered
2019 F56 Cooper, Aberdeenshire
15 Posts
The price of a litre of diesel here is now around £1.50 a litre!
For £1.50 I can get a full charge on Octopus Go Faster into the SE!
So that's four and a half charges for the price of a gallon of diesel!
Say 60 miles in an average diesel car, around 540 in the Mini for the same cost!
Certainly makes you think!

Diesel isn’t the only thing going up, how long before ”free” leccy goes up too, everything is relative.

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
Yes electricity had gone up. Ours from 12 to 16 p unit. Still laughing all the way to the bank. (UK) . As above any round trip of 100 mike's is easy meat for the mini with a four hour @7kw charge in between. Faster on commercial chargers and longer on a granny charge. Over that perhaps it's not ideal. But at the mo were getting an easy 120 miles. The other cars aren't getting used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've made the leap, my SE is on order !! :oops:

With the current ridiculous values of 2nd hand cars in the UK it was a no-brainer. New PCP plan is £110 more per month but projected savings (fuel/tax/servicing) are between £120 and £140 per month - even with charging at my current £0.168/kW on my home tariff. I will need to pay for a wall charger to be installed, but my existing car would need a full service, 2/4 tyres, and both front and back brakes (discs and pads) in 2022, so further savings.

Estimated delivery is end of Jan - L2 in White silver with black wheels and roof, yellow ears, tinted rear, piano black exterior and active cruise.

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
191 Posts
My electricity supplier is 16p/KWhr during the day but 5p/KWhr during the overnight charging period I've set in the MINI.
I did have to accept an increase from 15p to 16p daytime to get the 5p overnight but they paid for the smartmeter installation to make it possible and lots of our household appliances have timers to also take advantage of the overnight rates.
The long-term survivability of some of these suppliers is another question - "Bulb" went into administration yesterday, they were in Ofgem's top ten "safe" ones and Octopus (mine) still is in the top ten but was/is only just the nest "safest".

·
Registered
106 Posts
If my conversions are right, the current diesel price in the US is about £0.67 per liter.

A full charge (28.9 kWh) costs me $0.1014 per kWh so just $2.93 or £2.14. That would be 3.2 liters of diesel using the US rates.
To charge 28.9kWh here in the US if you don't have a garage at home is about $11 or £8.24 (using average kWh price for fast charging stations in US). This will get you ~110 miles of range. That works out to $0.105/mile or £0.075/mile.

To compare gas prices and range in my 2015 Mini Cooper Base: To fill up the 11.5 gallon tank is about $40.32 or £30.20 (using premium fuel prices in Florida). This gets you ~400 miles of range. That works out to $0.101/mile or £0.076/mile.

Petrol is still cheaper than electricity in the US if you can't charge at home. It's also far more convenient to fill up at the gas station than charging at a charger. But that should change soon as fast charging technology is rapidly advancing. I hear in China they have a 300 mile EV charging to full in 5 minutes. That's almost as fast as filling up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My electricity supplier is 16p/KWhr during the day but 5p/KWhr during the overnight charging period I've set in the MINI.
I did have to accept an increase from 15p to 16p daytime to get the 5p overnight but they paid for the smartmeter installation to make it possible and lots of our household appliances have timers to also take advantage of the overnight rates.
The long-term survivability of some of these suppliers is another question - "Bulb" went into administration yesterday, they were in Ofgem's top ten "safe" ones and Octopus (mine) still is in the top ten but was/is only just the nest "safest".
I'm with Octopus at the moment and i've looked at the GO tariff, but with the recent energy craziness they're offering me 23.7p/kW during the day. It's still an overall saving if I charge every day at home, but I might wait until the new year to see if the rate drops.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm with Octopus at the moment and i've looked at the GO tariff, but with the recent energy craziness they're offering me 23.7p/kW during the day. It's still an overall saving if I charge every day at home, but I might wait until the new year to see if the rate drops.
That seems strange although I've been with Octopus long before I bought the EV MINI. For the "GO" tariff they just increased my daytime rate from 15p to 16p with a small increase of standing charge to 25p/day in exchange for a 4 hour overnight tariff at 5p.
Maybe long term customers are being treated better ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That seems strange although I've been with Octopus long before I bought the EV MINI. For the "GO" tariff they just increased my daytime rate from 15p to 16p with a small increase of standing charge to 25p/day in exchange for a 4 hour overnight tariff at 5p.
Maybe long term customers are being treated better ?
It is a bit weird, i've been with Octopus for about 3 years and earlier this year when I looked they quoted about 17p for the day rate, but now it's 23.7p, although I think it's based on postcode mostly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting - mine still shows (on-line) as 15.96 (day) and 5.00 (overnight) when I log-in.
The postcode lottery may change different accounts - I live very close to SZB (where I used to work) so there may well be a surplus in my area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts