Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am looking for some advice having never purchased a new car before.

The mini pricing literature (UK) quotes a reccomended on the road price, including delivery, first registration fee and plates.

But all the dealer quote I have had add these things on as extra costs to the price in the price list.

Asked for an explanation, got a fobbed off answer.

What's the deal here? I'm feeling conned already!

Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
The only difference in configurator price, and my delivered price was the TLC pack, which I forgot to add (but of course I was going to add). I think you can expect a £5 or so each way, because some dealers put more fuel in than others, but the on the road charges should match the quote you get on the configurator.

You have to be careful what they are adding, "paint protection", "tyre insurance", "gap insurance" etc etc, they make money on selling these extras, and like to hide them in on the price. It's not to say they are bad products, and worth it in some cases, but you need to know what your getting. For example dealer paint protection, is often not applied very well and not the best products available, but for the same price you could have a proper paint protection applied by a detailer.

If they are not being clear on the prices, and you are not getting a good discount on the list price, look for another dealer that will play ball.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your help.

I am curious what you mean by the 'configurator' price? Is this a spec/price builder from the Mini website? I cannot find anywhere on the Mini website that allows me to build a spec and derive a price. All I have is the official brochure price list and the quotes from the dealers.

So far I am being fed the line from the dealers that "we could only really over around £500 discount, perhaps a bit more". This happens to be about the cost they are adding on to the recommended on the road price for the delivery.

It would be great if there was an online Mini spec builder that would derive an official price, if I go to other manufacturer websites I can do exactly that.

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
There is a configurator www.mini.co.uk then across the top CONFIGURATOR then choose the model you want and design it ; you can choose colour wheels and equipment and then gives you the price of the car.

Dont be fobbed off; go to more than one dealer-or ring them -there's a thread on here about how some got great discounts; but be prepared to sign on the line there and then if you get a good offer; in May 14 when i bought mine i got a great price for my px (basically i decided what i wanted via parkers and told them) and free tlc and a loyalty bonus-got about £1000 saving all told!

Definitely dont let them add wheel ins tyre ins gap ins and paint protection; you can get all that if you REALLY feel you need it from internet sources and a local valeter or do your own paint protection by buying it on ebay-it really is an easy (but time consuming job) . I got a glaze for a tenner pand p inc and the upholstery and carpet just spray and dry, glass is put on wipe off and the paint protection is basically two diff sort s of polish type stuff you put on leave to dry then buff off! simples!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Where you based as some members local to you may have a good contact to get a good deal, shop around and play 3 dealers off against each other by email after initial face to face with the one that's most keen for your business.
There are good levels of discounts out there at the correct time and with the correct dealer £500 discount seems token gesture to me

·
Registered
646 Posts
I got a 10% discount by following up a Black Friday email offer and then up-speccing - they kept the discount on throughout all the upgrades I added!

Seal & Protect is £300 from Mini so make sure you don't have that included as its not worth that much!!! The stuff is not as good as specific detailing gear bought from even Halfords!
Delivery they have the ability to knock off.

And if you do want GAP insurance (it's a good product!) take an independent quote in off the internet and ask them to match it. They initially quoted me £440 and took it down to £240 when I showed them a quote I received for £180. I'm happy to pay the £60 extra for the convenience of it all being in house, but not £200! It costs them £220 so anything over that they're making in pure commission on that product!

Try different dealer groups too. I have Sytner, Wollaston, Stratstone and Halliwell Jones that I tried and the latter gave me the best deal.

Hope this is of some help!

And yes click 'choose model' online and you can configure your ideal Mini down to the last detail! Print off your summary or save as PDF and email around to see who will do that spec for the best price.

Letting us know your location will help as has been said, someone may have a good contact at Mini for you.

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
MMM gap insurance now there's a thorny one; agreed Mini is way too pricey-they make a killing on it! As to whether it's a good product mmmm. The pricier ie the newer the car the less likely they are to write off the car-the older it gets of course the more likely; it is apparently the least paying out of any of the insurances and there is a high degree of miss selling about it. If you are insured they pay out the market value of the car you bought at the time. That's enough for me and NEARLY ALL insurance companies give you the full new price in the first year anyway if the car is written off; so if you buy 3 year gap ins it's only relevant for the 2nd two years . Total waste of money imo, but some people like peace of mind i suppose and each to their own! And of course there will be the odd winner.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have only written off one car (a £50 Mini), but I have owned 22 new cars, so at say £250 for GAP, that would have been £5500. The first 6 months on most insurance is new for old anyway so if they write the car off, its replaced with a new one, also when a car is written off (your choice not the insurance companies) it's a negotiation, on replacing what you have lost at the time of the accident, so your payout should be forecourt price not trade, because you can't replace a car for trade, this reduces the gap between finance and payout, often to a few hundred. For example my wife's VW Tiguan, is currently say £1500 -ve against finance and its trade value, but compare that to showroom prices the amounts would cover what I owe, that would mean I could just start again, with little or no real outlay.

What I am trying to say GAP is ok, but you need to be in the habit of writing cars off (or having them written off) to make it worth your while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hello everyone

Thanks for your replies. Found the configurator.

Not so interested in the protection products or GAP insurance, just want a basic car with a few options.

I am in the south Hampshire area. Currently on third dealer, not getting much joy with any sort of discount. Also seems that paying with cash doesn't offer any kind of buying power, they all want to sell finance.

All in all not the best buying experience so far, feels like I'm speaking to politicians with the sales people, can't get a straight answer from anyone!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Jeremy is right, and also if you're looking for a basic model that won't incentivise them either as they make money on the add-ons too!

Stupid of them really because you'll fall love with the car when you have it and be a returning customer for years and years! ;)

·
Registered
769 Posts
MINI never really has done much in the way of discounts. At one time they offered a "You-ification" discount but I don't see it listed any longer, they do show the normal $500.00 MINI loyalty but nothing else that I can find.
Dealers here in the states can discount more on existing stock but in my experience they won't move beyond any discounts from MINI corporate on custom builds. Sign up for email alerts, I get emails every now and then showing latest offers and incentives. On my custom build I got the You-ification discount, MINI Loyalty and and another $750.00 off from a MINI event I attended and that was it, so $1,500.00 off, the dealer wouldn't discount anything else.
The MINI USA site has a Special Offers section, not sure if the UK site does.
In the special offers section here MINI USA is offering $2500 Customer Cash on MINI Cooper Hardtop 2 Door models, the caveat being you must take delivery by 02/29/16. The Customer Cash offset MSRP.
Don't let them fob you off, I had my dealer break everything down in writing so I knew what I was paying for. If I saw something I didn't recognize I asked and actually found a couple things on there that didn't apply to me and they were taken off.

Good luck finding your MINI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
MINI UK appear be pretty aggressive in discounting this month?

I've just played an order for a One D and managed £1985 off (thats nearly $4000). £250 of that is a discount for the gap insurance though, would usually say no but for £200, it saves me having to arrange it elsewhere...

Now the 8 week wait is killing me :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.