Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Hoping someone will be able to shed a bit of light on the issue I'm having in my car.

There's an intermittent popping noise coming through the speakers. I've tried streaming music via bluetooth, via USB, via another phone and through the car radio; but this popping continues ever 10-20 seconds. The only way to stop it is to turn the car off, get out, lock it, and start again.

This doesn't occur every time I use the stereo, but it happens at least once a week.

The car is currently at the dealership, and they have been unable to observe or diagnose the issue- as I said, it's not something I can demonstrate on demand as it doesn't happen every time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

What should my next steps with MINI be? Should I ask them to replace the audio system? I bought the car brand new, and it's only 6 months old- I wouldn't expect to be having issues like this already!

Any help would be gratefully received!

Naomi

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've not personally had this issue, nor have I heard 'popping' be mentioned.

However when you get it back, if it happens again all I can insist you do is record it - if they can see and hear it on the video but still can't make it do it in their hands, they will replace it. Just make sure you document everything should you ever need it in the future is my advice.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
A friend of mine is having issues with his, not sure the same but speaker problem, the dealer has looked but it doesn't do it when they have it but after more research they finally heard it and contacted BMW Germany and they are going to try a new amp....

By the way welcome :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have had only once two weeks ago.
An "electric" noise every 10 sec.... a sort of little and very short interruption.
I was very worried because it is the perfect example of something not considered as it is in assistance, something hard to find and dimostrate.
...but the day after it disappeared!
The noise seems a disturb in the amp because with BT from my mobile or from fm radio it was the same.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've not personally had this issue, nor have I heard 'popping' be mentioned.

However when you get it back, if it happens again all I can insist you do is record it - if they can see and hear it on the video but still can't make it do it in their hands, they will replace it. Just make sure you document everything should you ever need it in the future is my advice.
I have a recording, which I have sent over to the dealership. They've acknowledged the issue, but are still unable to observe it themselves.

I had a call from the dealership earlier and he said that they're sorry that they've been unable to diagnose of fix the issue.

Where do I stand with this? Am I within my rights to insist that they replace the entire audio system? It's extremely frustrating that they're trying to fob me off with an apology rather than sorting it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had only once two weeks ago.
An "electric" noise every 10 sec.... a sort of little and very short interruption.
I was very worried because it is the perfect example of something not considered as it is in assistance, something hard to find and dimostrate.
...but the day after it disappeared!
The noise seems a disturb in the amp because with BT from my mobile or from fm radio it was the same.
Good luck!
That sounds very similar to the issue with my car. Keep an eye on it, in my experience it will happen again and again :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had a call from the dealership- basically as they have been unable to observe the fault (despite acknowledging it via the video evidence I sent to them), they are unwilling to go any further with trying to fix it. I've escalated this to MINI UK, who have said much the same thing, but have gotten in touch with the dealership to try to find a resolution.

Everyone that I've dealt with doesn't seem to realise that I'm not causing a fuss for no reason- I expect to have the brand new car in full working order that I paid for! The dealership told me that they're not going to push for a resolution as I have plenty of warranty left.

I'm absolutely disgusted by this- the impression that I'm getting is that I just have to live with this for a while since I have warranty remaining.

Does anyone have any advice at all please?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had a loan Cooper a few months ago, that had a similar fault, but each time it did it Bluetooth was also dead, with the message "Please wait...." It was a loan car so i lived with it, but if it was my car I would find it very annoying.

Years ago I had a similar problem with an Audi. I made countless visits for a CD/MP3 player that would only play for about 1 hour, then would give an error "Visit Service Department". As soon as the engine was stopped and restarted the error would clear, but thats no good at the start of a 3 hour journey. Each time I took the car in no fault was found, very frustrating, until one day I was driving home when the fault occurred and the dealership was open, so I drive it to them, left it running so they could see I wasn't complaining for nothing. I was very insistent they didn't shut it off until the mechanic had looked at it. The dealership then advised it was a common problem, and the head unit was on 6 months back order. Brilliant, I had only waited 8 months to prove I had a common problem, and now had to wait for the fix.

I think this would be your best bet, next time it does it and your local to the dealers service department, and its open and they will have mechanics on site, drive it to them (don't switch it off) and let them experience it while it's happening. Maybe drive it directly into the service bays.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just had a call from the dealership- basically as they have been unable to observe the fault (despite acknowledging it via the video evidence I sent to them), they are unwilling to go any further with trying to fix it. I've escalated this to MINI UK, who have said much the same thing, but have gotten in touch with the dealership to try to find a resolution.

Everyone that I've dealt with doesn't seem to realise that I'm not causing a fuss for no reason- I expect to have the brand new car in full working order that I paid for! The dealership told me that they're not going to push for a resolution as I have plenty of warranty left.

I'm absolutely disgusted by this- the impression that I'm getting is that I just have to live with this for a while since I have warranty remaining.

Does anyone have any advice at all please?
I'm so glad there's another person on this forum that is like me... You and I are RARE, very RARE! >:D

Keep persisting, tell them to have the car for as long as they need it but you want a like for like curtesy car, they'll give you a demo or one of their managers cars to drive around in. Don't give up, persistence is the only way to get what you want.

·
Registered
769 Posts
This has cropped up before, in some cases a reprogram has fixed it and others replacing the amplifier in a H/K system resolved the issue.

Like Blat said, the next time it happens call and/or go directly to the dealer and do not switch off the car, keep everything in it's current state. Unless the problem occurs while they have it or a code is stored it's going to be difficult for them to push for a warranty claim.
Since you have given them recorded evidence of the issue the dealer may be able to push MINI for a warranty claim but unless they can pinpoint the root cause the only other thing to do is to get MINI agree to replace the entire audio system and hope that solves the issue.

Links to similar issues:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f56-hatch-talk-2014/284252-speakers-went-nuts-on-my-drive-home.html

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/fixing-problems-and-issues/279733-strange-popping-sound.html

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/fixing-problems-and-issues/294621-intermittent-pop-from-audio-system.html

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
As said it is a known issue. You could try another dealer as their customer service is appalling .the cheek to say that. Demand a fix or escalate your complaint. Good luck keep us updated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news!

I collected my car from the dealership last week, and they were still adamant they weren't going to pursue the issue. Luckily, it was making the popping noise when I started it up- I was very smug indeed when I went back inside to collect the customer services guy I'd been dealing with.

The workshop manager has now verified that the fault does exist, and they're in the process of contacting BMW to make a warranty claim. It looks like they're going to replace the whole stereo system. I'm really hoping this will be the end of it!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Good news!

I collected my car from the dealership last week, and they were still adamant they weren't going to pursue the issue. Luckily, it was making the popping noise when I started it up- I was very smug indeed when I went back inside to collect the customer services guy I'd been dealing with.

The workshop manager has now verified that the fault does exist, and they're in the process of contacting BMW to make a warranty claim. It looks like they're going to replace the whole stereo system. I'm really hoping this will be the end of it!
I love a good smug smile, serves the bastards right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and the BT wouldn't connect consistently. Updating the software fixed both issues. You can go to MINI website and download the latest updates. Install them on a flash drive and then update it yourself. It takes about 5 minutes total.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
You definitely need a conversation with them about customer service and satisfaction and why they didnt believe you; when you fill in the survey from mini your comments might just reflect the fact that they couldnt seem to be bothered; the mini dealers i've dealt with have always been polar opposites of this-cant do enough but i've not paid many visits thank fully. just the seat recall with this but it's in next week for the door rubber thing-offered me a car straight away so bodes well-told them i'd like a jcw! We;ll see!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and the BT wouldn't connect consistently. Updating the software fixed both issues. You can go to MINI website and download the latest updates. Install them on a flash drive and then update it yourself. It takes about 5 minutes total.
I had the exact same problem with mine and the software update from the Mini website fixed it for me too. I use the radio/USB audio for at least an hour a day and its been perfect ever since. I do however still have the odd issue with bluetooth not wanting to connect but its nowhere near as bad.

For reference, the update is available here: http://www.mini.com/connectivity/softwareupdate/index.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello everyone!

Hoping someone will be able to shed a bit of light on the issue I'm having in my car.

There's an intermittent popping noise coming through the speakers. I've tried streaming music via bluetooth, via USB, via another phone and through the car radio; but this popping continues ever 10-20 seconds. The only way to stop it is to turn the car off, get out, lock it, and start again.

This doesn't occur every time I use the stereo, but it happens at least once a week.

The car is currently at the dealership, and they have been unable to observe or diagnose the issue- as I said, it's not something I can demonstrate on demand as it doesn't happen every time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

What should my next steps with MINI be? Should I ask them to replace the audio system? I bought the car brand new, and it's only 6 months old- I wouldn't expect to be having issues like this already!

Any help would be gratefully received!

Naomi
Hi Naomi. This is an existing issue, that was mostly solved. It had to do with a problematic HU & the firmware. It had 3 main issues: music interruption every 10 sec, smartphone bluetooth connection problems, and on screen owner's manual freezing when trying to open it. Did you buy your mini recently, or is it an older model like late 2014, or early 2015?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am currently having this issue. BMW tried to update the car's software, which worked for about 24 hours.

The issue is now getting worse and I am unable to Listen to music, phone calls, radio, sat nav, park assist.. nothing.

So, needless to say, I am requesting a replacement. I have recorded a few videos to demonstrate the issue.

Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm so glad there's another person on this forum that is like me... You and I are RARE, very RARE! >:D

Keep persisting, tell them to have the car for as long as they need it but you want a like for like curtesy car, they'll give you a demo or one of their managers cars to drive around in. Don't give up, persistence is the only way to get what you want.
Any further problems I suggest you get our forum expert Brandon down to Southampton to sort the dealers out!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.