Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a problem that I hope you guys can help with, or at least tell me I'm being unreasonable and should shut up and take the deal. and before anything sorry for the long post.

I ordered a 2015 MC at the beginning of the year, before the car got delivered it got stuck at port because of a snow storm and the car was snowed in for a couple of weeks. A month later the car was delivered to me in working condition and everything was good. 4 months later I get a call telling me that the car has been recalled and I need to order a new vehicle because mini is expecting a bunch of electrical issues and early rust in the cars that got snowed in.

So I go to the dealership and begin the process of ordering a new mini, and here the issues start, 1st I couldnt order a 2015 build anymore and I had to order a 2016, then the prices of the 2016 had jumped by a difference of $1100 between the base price and all the options, so difference in price between 2015 and 2016 with the exact build was the $1100, and the understanding is that mini was going to deduct that as a discount to make it a fair deal. All good so far.

At that point I decided that I want to upgrade to the MCS and during all the conversations it was understood that a similar price adjustment will be performed since the 2016 MCS prices had also went up by the same amount. However the interest rate on the MCS is now 4.99% instead of the 3.99% which was offered last year, and the interest rate currently on the MC, so I asked if they can match the interest rate, and they said they have to speak with Mini canada and get back to me, bellow is the response I got:

" in reviewing our discussion we had on Saturday with the folks at Mini – there is a bit of a problem with what’s being asked for.
The issue is not with the change in MSRP it’s with the additional money we’re asking for to bring down the payment. We had figured with an additional $2156.96 that would bring your payment down to $550 per month. The reason why was because the rate is at 4.99%. However, if we look at simply the cost of buying down the rate from 4.99% to 3.9% that would cost $897.60. That is going to be the money that we need to ask for.
What that does to your payment is $266.24 bi-weekly."

What I understood from that is price adjustment to bring it to the 2015 price was not a problem, however bring the interest rate down was an issue. based on this I said ok not a problem, lets go ahead with the purchase. We had another conversation after where I asked them not to add tint to the vehicle and to remove an option called "Ride green certified" which cost $599. At this point my understanding is everything is ok, and I get a bill of sale from them. Now me being a dumba** I didnt dig through the bill of sale too much, I just looked at the monthly payments and it was what I expected, little did I know is that he (dealer) didnt put the MSRP price adjustment in it, I dont know if that was a mistake or by purpose, either way I get a call today telling me the vehicle is ready for pickup, while I was on the phone I asked to just go through the numbers one last time, and I inquire about the MSRP adjustment, at which point they tell me that they are not giving me the MSRP adjustment.

I dont know what to do, Im thinking of calling mini canada, but I have a feeling that they will tell me I had a month to read through bill of sale and I should've responded earlier. Did I mis-read the email I got from them, Am I being unreasonable here? after all I was forced to take a 2016, I wouldve been happy with a 2015. On the bright side, the interest rate has been lowered (thank u bad economy) back to 3.99% so that's good, but its a principle thing I was led to believe mini will match the price, and now it looks like I'm being forced to accept this deal since the car is already here.

Any response is good, and again sorry for the long email I just dont know what to do at this point.:crying:

·
Registered
200 Posts
what is the difference in price you are paying monthly for the 2016 as opposed to the 2015? to me it sounds like they have you the lower percentage instead of matching the msrp. sometimes dealers change prices of different things to give you the end result you want. for instance if they can't give you the $2156 off the msrp it self, they cut costs elsewhere that save you that same amount of money in the end. maybe thats the case?

·
Registered
200 Posts
sorry also keep in mind the difference between the mc and the mcs. I was in the same situation as you with my car getting recalled due to the ice storms and I upgraded from the mcs to the jcw. the dealer made it clear to me that they would give me the same discount i got off my 2015 and use the 2015 prices instead of the 2016. The idea was that if i got the same exact car I had originally it would be at absolutely 0 cost to me. however if changing it, i would be responsible to pay the difference in price only. In my case the 2015 mcs and 2016 jcw are both 3.9% so that issue didn't arise however.

Reactions: donnaj1dlh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry also keep in mind the difference between the mc and the mcs. I was in the same situation as you with my car getting recalled due to the ice storms and I upgraded from the mcs to the jcw. the dealer made it clear to me that they would give me the same discount i got off my 2015 and use the 2015 prices instead of the 2016. The idea was that if i got the same exact car I had originally it would be at absolutely 0 cost to me. however if changing it, i would be responsible to pay the difference in price only. In my case the 2015 mcs and 2016 jcw are both 3.9% so that issue didn't arise however.
That is exactly what I was expecting, the confusion in the interest rate was that between 2015 and 2016 the interest rate went up from 3.9 to 4.9, so when I was first speaking to him at the time I asked if they can match the 2015 price for the MCS and the interest rate, and he came back with that email i quoted in the post. so basically my understanding is that they couldnt do anything for the interest rate, but that shouldnt cancel the original idea of matching the 2015 prices... The change in interest rate now is something mini has no control over, which was the original argument he came up with, so its not like he's fixing the price by reducing the interest rate. And to answer your original question, the price difference is $1100 between the 2015 and 2016 prices with payments of $510 vs $540 for 2016 ... honestly speaking its not a big difference but I just feel being taken advantage of...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hmm. Is the only additional cost to you $30 a month? If that's the case, considering you went from Cooper to a Cooper s it seems reasonable. I would ask on pickup about it but prior verbal agreements don't mean much. My dealer mentioned that the replacement mini's don't count toward their overall monthly or annual sales numbers so you don't have much power for bargaining I'm afraid...also taking into account that you had the agreement for a month.

Even if nothing changes.. I'm betting that youd be hard pressed to find anyone that would turn down a brand new car one year newer for $1100.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
an extra $30/pm up upgrade to a MCS seems ok to me :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
an extra $30/pm up upgrade to a MCS seems ok to me :)
I agree with you, however and this is the issue with only looking at the change in payment, is that I increased my down payment from 6G to 10G, hence the small increase in payment.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Maybe you find a better rate with a credit union or bank. I always walk into the dealer preapproved from a lender. However when I bought my Mini the 1.9% was a better deal than the credit union.:D

·
Registered
200 Posts
When do you pick up your car? What was the outcome?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When do you pick up your car? What was the outcome?
Supposed to pick it up this Saturday, spoke with a person from the managing company of the dealership and she cleared the whole thing up :D. She matched the prices of the options I selected with the 2015 prices, however I still had to pay the 2016 price of the Cooper S instead of the 2015 price, about $600 more, which is not bad considering everything. Still waiting on her to confirm everything sometime today.

Have you heard back from your dealership?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Glad to hear it was all sorted. Makes things much nicer when you pick it up! Mine is at the dealer getting prepped. I am picking it up Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh man it looks awesome ... my dealership is a bit of a drive otherwise I would've went there on Monday to see it, 2 more days, I think I can wait... Did you spec the JCW as a manual? I had to switch from manual to auto due to a knee injury and now I'm worried the drive wont be as much fun ... however all the tech I spec'd inside will keep me occupied

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hah! Almost the same as me.. Except I went from a manual to an auto because my wife positively hated driving the manual in Toronto. I wanted a manual MCS and she wanted an auto. So we compromised with an Auto JCW lol. I am worried that it won't be as much fun also...once you get out of the GTA that is

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hah! Almost the same as me.. Except I went from a manual to an auto because my wife positively hated driving the manual in Toronto. I wanted a manual MCS and she wanted an auto. So we compromised with an Auto JCW lol. I am worried that it won't be as much fun also...once you get out of the GTA that is
made it to the dealership bright and early today, had to make the most of the day with the mini ... better than I expected for sure ... everything at the dealership went smooth picked it up and been driving it since... The car is tons of fun to drive the Automatic transmission is just awesome ... still miss the manual a bit, but the S is putting a big smile on my face everytime i press the gas. Im sure your JCW will be loads of fun...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Couple of points:

Always get a written quotation, they can print this out for you from the order.

Just put the car in Sport and shift the lever to the left, when slowing down, come down the box on the paddles; you'll soon wonder why you ever thought about a manual.... :)

And this thread is useless without pictures !!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
made it to the dealership bright and early today, had to make the most of the day with the mini ... better than I expected for sure ... everything at the dealership went smooth picked it up and been driving it since... The car is tons of fun to drive the Automatic transmission is just awesome ... still miss the manual a bit, but the S is putting a big smile on my face everytime i press the gas. Im sure your JCW will be loads of fun...
Glad to hear it!! Now looking forward to the auto. Love the colour combo. sporty but still classy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts