Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why, but the center console in my 2016 JCW (controls navigation, audio, telephone etc) keeps rebooting, seemingly at random, sometimes many times in a row in a single day, sometimes not for a few weeks. When it gets bad, I lose all data such as stored navigation sites and bluetooth connection. I m now scheduled for my 4th trip to the shop in 6 months - they have updated and reinstalled the software twice and the last time even replaced the entire center unit hardware but STILL having problems!

I didn't post earlier since I thought it was a small problem that they would be able to take care of, but now that its been 6 months I thought I would put up a post to see if any other owners experienced this and if they found the cause or a solution.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,747 Posts
Not heard of that one; wonder if there is simply a lose connection somewhere?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not heard of that one; wonder if there is simply a lose connection somewhere?
Seems that the Mini people in Germany had not heard of it either, so we are still waiting for their reply on next steps (been waiting more than a month now!).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They've now:

- replaced the navi unit
- replaced the center console display
- updated to latest software (full re-install)

Seems to work OK now but thats been the case in the past - works well for about a month or two then all of a sudden starts restarting for no apparent reason. The 3 year warranty runs out at the end of this month so I will just have to hope it doesn't happen again before I trade her in for a new GP (whenever it comes to Japan).

·
Super Moderator
6,747 Posts
Since the fault started b4 the warranty ran out and they haven't sorted it i feel the end of the warranty should be irrelevant.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the fault started b4 the warranty ran out and they haven't sorted it i feel the end of the warranty should be irrelevant.
Got my car back a few days ago and just as I was trying to make that very point, they told me the nav unit and this problem in particular would be covered for an additional 2 years beyond Dec 24 (day my warranty runs out). Definitely makes me feel better about running her another year or two. Interestingly, one my my British colleagues who also drives a Mini told me that he is experiencing exactly the same problem - seems it's not as rare as Mini would like us to believe!...

Despite my many modifications, the JCW passed the required government inspection after 3 years (just got her back about an hour ago), though my front pads were almost completely worn and had to be replaced for second time in 30,000 km (says something about how hard I driver her every day!). They did have to take off the wheel spacers before bringing the car in for inspection since Japanese law is very strict about wheels not extending beyond the bodywork and the JCW rims, which cover the enormous brakes extend out a lot further than other cars, but it passed with flying colors and I am back in business. Totally love the sound of the Remus muffler, the far tighter feel of my JCW with the NM springs/Koni shocks, and the explosive acceleration enhanced by the NM Power module - am in Mini heaven!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since Mini has been next to useless in solving this problem, I have been doing a lot of reading and research online. Seems that many iPhone users have reported similar problems. One long and comprehensive thread, titled "New Bluetooth Issues with iPhone iOS 11.2.6 Cars, BMW, Honda, Mazda, Cadillac & Ford" outlined very similar symptoms. They had a whole host of suggestions, many of which I had already tried, but one that seems to have helped a bit in my case was the suggestion to NOT sync contacts (pop up just after you pair your phone to the Mini). That seems to have worked (for now). The idea here is there might be some special characters other than letters/numbers in the contact info that is causing confusion. I drove my JCW more than 2 years without a single glitch so I can only assume this has to do with iOS 11.2.6 problems. Several websites believe the problem will not be addressed until Apple releases 11.3. If you are interested, here are two of the threads that were helpful to me:

http://www.autoconnectedcar.com/2018/03/new-bluetooth-issues-with-iphone-ios-11-2-6-cars-bmw-honda-mazda-cadillac-ford/

https://appletoolbox.com/2018/09/bluetooth-problems-with-ios-12-how-to-fix/#iPhone_Bluetooth_Not_Working_in_Car_with_iOS_12_Tips_to_consider

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Happy New Year and hopefully your problematic issues will be resolved. BTW, my mini dealer advised me that I have the #1 spot on the waiting list for the GP! I was hoping we would be able to order the GP this year, but it appears that may not be the case.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you ever plug a USB stick into the car? Had a new van last year and all fine until I plugged in a USB stick with my music on, my built-in touchscreen unit went mad, it also affected the screen on the dash. Had a full software install and not used the USB stick since, so far it's been ok (12 months now). May have just been a coincidence but you never know??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Did you problem fix itself when you stopped syncing your contacts? This just started happening to me yesterday. I have both of my Pixels connected to my car. My old Pixel2 I use for my Audible account so I can listen to audio books. My new Pixel3 is my phone. I also have my Walkman connected via Bluetooth. Yesterday on the way home from work I assumed the car was being weird about connecting into the Pixel2. It rebooted a few times, finally was fine and then played the book the rest of the way home. I went out later in the evening and forgot about the issue because it worked fine and then this morning it worked fine on the way into work.

This afternoon it started doing the reboot thing again. I got annoyed and flipped to the satellite radio. At which point it continued it's reboot cycle to the point where it did a hard reboot and wiped out half the information the system had stored - all my preset stations were gone and the list of last destinations. It also reset some of my personalized settings but oddly enough some of them remained untouched. It also wiped all my Bluetooth devices.

When I got home just now I attempted to reset everything starting with my devices. I got both Pixels to sync up fine when I was connecting them but once connected I couldn't get them to do anything. The car kept dropping the Pixel3 (the phone) and wouldn't connect back to it. It would hold onto the Pixel2 (Audible) but it wouldn't load any media to play the book. I then pulled out the Walkman, re-connected that device and tried playing music from it. That worked just fine. I then tried to go back to the phones to get them working and the car did a reboot again.

In a few minutes I am going to go back out with my iPod, which I was using for Audible before I got the Pixel3 and designated my Pixel2 as the Audible device, to see how that works out. If everything goes fine with the iPod I am going to assume the issue is isolated to my phone and that the issue isn't just with iPhones but with Androids as well.

Just curious to see what your outcome has been. I am just outside of my warranty and I can't even begin to imagine how much it would cost me to try and fix this issue without coverage of the warranty...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi! Did you problem fix itself when you stopped syncing your contacts? This just started happening to me yesterday. I have both of my Pixels connected to my car. My old Pixel2 I use for my Audible account so I can listen to audio books. My new Pixel3 is my phone. I also have my Walkman connected via Bluetooth. Yesterday on the way home from work I assumed the car was being weird about connecting into the Pixel2. It rebooted a few times, finally was fine and then played the book the rest of the way home. I went out later in the evening and forgot about the issue because it worked fine and then this morning it worked fine on the way into work.

This afternoon it started doing the reboot thing again. I got annoyed and flipped to the satellite radio. At which point it continued it's reboot cycle to the point where it did a hard reboot and wiped out half the information the system had stored - all my preset stations were gone and the list of last destinations. It also reset some of my personalized settings but oddly enough some of them remained untouched. It also wiped all my Bluetooth devices.

When I got home just now I attempted to reset everything starting with my devices. I got both Pixels to sync up fine when I was connecting them but once connected I couldn't get them to do anything. The car kept dropping the Pixel3 (the phone) and wouldn't connect back to it. It would hold onto the Pixel2 (Audible) but it wouldn't load any media to play the book. I then pulled out the Walkman, re-connected that device and tried playing music from it. That worked just fine. I then tried to go back to the phones to get them working and the car did a reboot again.

In a few minutes I am going to go back out with my iPod, which I was using for Audible before I got the Pixel3 and designated my Pixel2 as the Audible device, to see how that works out. If everything goes fine with the iPod I am going to assume the issue is isolated to my phone and that the issue isn't just with iPhones but with Androids as well.

Just curious to see what your outcome has been. I am just outside of my warranty and I can't even begin to imagine how much it would cost me to try and fix this issue without coverage of the warranty...
This started happening in my second year of ownership (with a 3 year warranty), but after a year of back and forth with Mini Japan, they started becoming slower and slower in their replies, as if they wanted to wait this out until I was out of warranty. I am now 4 months out of warranty and still have largely the same problem. Its a little better if I don't sync my contacts but still ends up in the reset/restart sequence in the end (without syncing I can usually get about 2 months of use before the reset/restart problems starts happening, with syncing I can usually get no more than a few days or maybe weeks). In my case the first few restarts are "light" meaning that the data isn't erased, but almost always it eventually moves to hard reset mode where everything is erased (and it keeps repeating, sometimes every 5 minutes for as long as I am driving).

My problem is related to iPod/iPhone use - at first I thought it was that my iPod might have a virus in it among the thousands of old downloaded music in it, but haven't connected the iPod since last summer and still have the same problems with my iPhone. This is a problem for me since the Mini is my company car and I need to do a lot of work calls while driving. The past few months I have just been using my iPhone with AirPods earphones and not having anything hooked up at all.

Sadly, I am so disappointed in the lack of support/service from Mini Japan that I will almost definitely leave the Mini fold when I replace my car later this year. I had my heart set on getting a Mini GP but I clearly can't count on Mini to properly service or support their cars even when they are under warranty.

I really enjoyed my last Megane Trophy, one of the most exciting, well-sorted FF's I've ever owned, service was great for the 3 years I drove her, so and am thinking I may go back to the Renault fold when the Trophy arrives in Japan later this year. (Quick review: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/megane/106423/new-renault-megane-rs-trophy-2019-review)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Did anybody get to the bottom of this fault

Just today, the wife's 2015 (none satnav) F56 cooper display is in a constant reboot loop. Approx every 10 seconds, the radio will be on and playing ok. Then it will goes off, then a few seconds later it displays Mini.
I've tried to update the software, and a reset. But it reboots to fast for me to carry anything out on it.

I don't know if it is connected with above fault, but all dab radio stations have disappeared. Ok on fm /am for a few seconds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Did anybody get to the bottom of this fault

Just today, the wife's 2015 (none satnav) F56 cooper display is in a constant reboot loop. Approx every 10 seconds, the radio will be on and playing ok. Then it will goes off, then a few seconds later it displays Mini.
I've tried to update the software, and a reset. But it reboots to fast for me to carry anything out on it.

I don't know if it is connected with above fault, but all dab radio stations have disappeared. Ok on fm /am for a few seconds.
I am having exact same issue with mine! Started a few days ago. Reluctant to take it to my nearest Mini as service/repairs side is shocking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having exact same issue with mine! Started a few days ago. Reluctant to take it to my nearest Mini as service/repairs side is shocking.
Hello,

This has also started happening to my 2015 Mini Cooper over the last couple of days. The control centre reboots every 15 seconds. I have an iPhone XS with the latest iOS software updated. Haven’t had any issues like this since getting the phone in February this year, however I did have a passenger who plugged in an android phone at the same time last week using a cigarette lighter adapter... worried that that might have been the cause?!

Ive booked into get it checked alongside my service, but that’s not for another two weeks. Thanks I have a 1.5 hour commute every day and the problem is slowly driving me mad.

Did anyone find anything else that worked as a fix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plugging an Android phone into an adaptor is not going to cause any issues.
I think you might have missed what I was trying to say. I was suggesting that having both an iPhone connected via the USB port, and an android connected via the cigarette lighter at the same time might be the cause of the issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think you might have missed what I was trying to say. I was suggesting that having both an iPhone connected via the USB port, and an android connected via the cigarette lighter at the same time might be the cause of the issue.
I still don't think that should be a problem. There's only power at 5v going through the cig adaptor, no data connections exits on that. The only data connection was being used by your iPhone plugged into the USB port.

Some very cheap cig adaptors have been known to cause RF interference but as soon as it's removed the problem should go away without any permanent effects.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yesterday I took the Mini cooper into Mini cooper Derby for the rebooting fault.
I was told it needs a new display unit, which will be under the warranty, and need to be ordered. But the programming will be chargeable at the price of £162 :unsure:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would argue with them about the reprogramming - if it's a faulty unit being replaced under warranty then they should be doing the re-setup as well. (Personal opinion)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts