Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Started happening to me on Wednesday, day before my 6 hour drive back down from up north. Pain in the arse.
Only had the car 20 days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 mini cooper with a center console, not as sophisticated as the ones you all have, but I've had this same problem for 5 years now. Still unresolved. I just ignore it now and can't use the radio, map or phone. I brought it to the mini cooper dealer, out of warranty, they charged me $160 just to tell me that I need to have it replaced. Now that I hear you have the same problems after replacement, I'm at a loss. I just gave up and let it reboot over and over again for hours....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Took 6 months of nagging but they finally agreed to reinstall the software so I could at least get back to the point where I can use the GPS without that constant rebooting. They informed me that basically it was my fault since iPhones are not compatible with the Mini and I should no longer attempt to use bluetooth for either music or handsfree telephone. Very frustrating as I do a lot of work-related phone calls during my many long drives. Sad to say but this is kind of a deal-breaker (both not being able to use the phone/music as well as the horrible lack of support), and my beloved JCW will most likely be my last Mini...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've e-mailed BMW MINI head office, concerning the RIP OFF diagnostic charges, when this is an obvious inherent fault
I seem to be getting nowhere with them and MINI Cooper Molton.
I am persevering with the complaint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem, reboot every 10 seconds... Been on the phone with MINI they said it needs a software upgrade but they cant guarantee if the whole head unit wont have to be replaced... It worked absolutely fine this whole time - the Software Update function in the system is purposefully 'greyed out' and disabled.

£190 to just bring it in for diagnostics, ridiculous.

Maybe we can all complain together and get something moving?

·
Registered
429 Posts
They informed me that basically it was my fault since iPhones are not compatible with the Mini and I should no longer attempt to use bluetooth for either music or handsfree telephone
You should probably show your Mini dealer this video...

and then let Mini UK know that all of their marketing and user manuals are incorrect. Best let BMW know this as well because their cars use the same infotainment systems, so all Beemers will not work either.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Having the same problem, reboot every 10 seconds... Been on the phone with MINI they said it needs a software upgrade but they cant guarantee if the whole head unit wont have to be replaced... It worked absolutely fine this whole time - the Software Update function in the system is purposefully 'greyed out' and disabled.

£190 to just bring it in for diagnostics, ridiculous.

Maybe we can all complain together and get something moving?
I had the software completely updated 2x and the whole head unit replaced once but it didn't solve the problem. I wouldn't let them charge me for anything even after the 3 year warranty expired since this is a problem I have been dealing with since year 2, but in the end they basically said iPhones are not compatible with Mini's and thus this is my fault. This is kind of astonishing to me since (1) it was never a problem with any of my BMWs (2) clearly they are not advertising this non-compatibility and (3) it is definitely making my experience with the car more negative since it is my company car and I need to be able to use the phone for business calls (haven't been able to do that for more than a year) and I can no longer listen to music piped in from my iPhone to my car stereo system. I love the way my JCW drives and sounds but for the price I paid for her (probably 30-40% more than Europe or US), this is kind of a deal-breaker and instead of trading my JCW for a GP I will unfortunately be buying almost anything but Mini....

·
Registered
2 Posts
our 2015 mini has just started the rebooting thing described earlier.
constant rebooting and cant do a thing with it.
just rang mini....they informed me it was out of warranty, as if I didn't know.
what I do know is warranty or not, a part has an expected lifespan. a radio should last more than 4 years and 20k miles.
I will be discussing this point of law with bmw tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Did anybody get to the bottom of this fault

Just today, the wife's 2015 (none satnav) F56 cooper display is in a constant reboot loop. Approx every 10 seconds, the radio will be on and playing ok. Then it will goes off, then a few seconds later it displays Mini.
I've tried to update the software, and a reset. But it reboots to fast for me to carry anything out on it.

I don't know if it is connected with above fault, but all dab radio stations have disappeared. Ok on fm /am for a few seconds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Thursday drove from Salcombe to Blackpool 320 miles no problem.
Used an iPod fro half an hour from destination... no problem. Started the car Friday and the unit started looping and shutting down, lost radio stations in keys 1-6. I have a warranty. Car booked in to Mini Brighton on Wed 11 Sept fro repair. Will keep you posted. Can anybody confirm they have had this problem permanently fixed and how?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Thursday drove from Salcombe to Blackpool 320 miles no problem.
Used an iPod fro half an hour from destination... no problem. Started the car Friday and the unit started looping and shutting down, lost radio stations in keys 1-6. I have a warranty. Car booked in to Mini Brighton on Wed 11 Sept fro repair. Will keep you posted. Can anybody confirm they have had this problem permanently fixed and how?
In my case, Mini's solution after more than a year of back and forth was to re-install the latest version of their software and tell me the problem was my fault since Mini's are not compatible with iPhones and the "solution" was for me to not use bluetooth to connect the iPhone to the Mini. Unbelievable!...

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my case, Mini's solution after more than a year of back and forth was to re-install the latest version of their software and tell me the problem was my fault since Mini's are not compatible with iPhones and the "solution" was for me to not use bluetooth to connect the iPhone to the Mini. Unbelievable!...
I have never connected any phone to the system. I have only connected via USB my mini iPod which has music on it, which I have used in the car since I bought it new in June 16. Will update until fixed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Did anybody get to the bottom of this fault

Just today, the wife's 2015 (none satnav) F56 cooper display is in a constant reboot loop. Approx every 10 seconds, the radio will be on and playing ok. Then it will goes off, then a few seconds later it displays Mini.
I've tried to update the software, and a reset. But it reboots to fast for me to carry anything out on it.

I don't know if it is connected with above fault, but all dab radio stations have disappeared. Ok on fm /am for a few seconds.
I had same problem which was sorted by Chandlers Mini Brighton by updating the software. I have a mini warranty with £250 excess and the charge for me today was £99, which will be credited if problem occurs again. Super service. Took 2 hours to download the software from Germany. My mini is 2016(June) F56 Cooper

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I had same problem which was sorted by Chandlers Mini Brighton by updating the software. I have a mini warranty with £250 excess and the charge for me today was £99, which will be credited if problem occurs again. Super service. Took 2 hours to download the software from Germany. My mini is 2016(June) F56 Cooper
Hope it works out for you. In my case, the first software update lasted about 2-3 months before the problem started up again. At first I thought it might be due to an old iPod I hooked up via USB for music but after the update I only used my iPhone via bluetooth and got the same problem. Eventually they replaced the whole head unit, but same thing, after 2-3 months the problem was back. They blamed my iPhone for the problem saying first it was not updated (it was an iPhone X running the latest OS), then eventually claiming iPhones were not compatible with Minis and that the problem was my fault and responsibility not theirs. Disappointing to say the least....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Cooper D started rebooting earlier this year. Under Warranty the Software (which was the latest version) was reloaded and appeared to clear the problem. However I recentl had a long drive to Scotland for a holiday and it rebooted on the way. What was really anoying was that the Destinations, B&Bs, I had entered were all cleared.

When the fault originally occurred I developed the theorey that it was not a Console fault but a reset/power issue elsewhere in the car that caused the reboots.

I have an Android phone so the IPhone theorey is unlikely unless there is some common factor in the Bluetooth code or tramsitted data. Also I had several reboots withot a phone connected.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My Cooper D started rebooting earlier this year. Under Warranty the Software (which was the latest version) was reloaded and appeared to clear the problem. However I recentl had a long drive to Scotland for a holiday and it rebooted on the way. What was really anoying was that the Destinations, B&Bs, I had entered were all cleared.

When the fault originally occurred I developed the theorey that it was not a Console fault but a reset/power issue elsewhere in the car that caused the reboots.

I have an Android phone so the IPhone theorey is unlikely unless there is some common factor in the Bluetooth code or tramsitted data. Also I had several reboots withot a phone connected.
All very similar symptoms and problems as I experienced (was a bummer to lose all my destinations and phone numbers). At first I thought it might be my old iPod causing the problem, perhaps a virus in one of the thousands of songs stored there, but after they reinstalled the software, I never attached it again and several months later, for no apparent reason, the problem reappeared. It took almost 6 months of prodding to get them to finally reinstall the software again, and at least for the past 2 months everything is OK (except that I can't use my iPhone via bluetooth, either for music or as a phone). Bluetooth connectivity was an important feature for me as I often take business calls while I drive - I now have to break the law and do so via earphones. Have owned more than a dozen sports cars over the past 30 years and not once have I experienced this level of a basic, paid-for feature of the car to not only suddenly stop working, but to have the dealer pretend the problem is my fault, purposely delay replying or helping, all so they don't have to honor the warranty to fix it. Mini Japan has done a really great job of ruining the image of what is otherwise a really amazing car. My car is a daily driver so even if I wanted to trade this in for either the GP or one of the new 300hp JCWs I can't, because I don't trust that Mini Japan will help me or even honor the warranty should I ever run into trouble again....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same issue and it’s extremely dangerous. I’m driving trying to use my maps with the Audio via Bluetooth, or make calls etc.. and it’s constantly kicking me off calls, rebooting etc... and I can’t help it taking my attention away from driving. I genuinely feel it could cause me to have a wreck and it’s freaking me out. I’m disheartened to find that there doesn’t seem to be a solve.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts