Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo! Looks like Production started today on my MINI according to Bimmer.work. 7-10 days a new car will be fully born and then probably a month to two months to get here.

This could mean, the new car arrives in December or early January barring any weather on the east coast!! And to think that they were going to lock me into a November production date!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats! The wait will definitely be worth it. On my current, first Mini I went for one that was already shipped because I was too impatient. My next one, a few years from now, will be custom built. Can't wait to see pics!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
7 -10 days; i don't think so! start to finish manufacture time is about 20 hours with a mini rolling off the lines at oxford every 90seconds if i remember right from my factory tour!
if they started your car this am, say the 8am shift it'll be in the paint shop and done by tomorrow morning and on the train to the port shortly after-they do not hang around! The wait will be for your car to travel across to you! TIME TO START GETTING EXCITED; congratulations!

If you can get BBC iplayer over seas wathc james mays new how to build a car programme-if not youtube minicooper manufacture=it's amazing!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'm curious - On bummer.work, doing a search for my VIN now no longer brings anything up. Does that mean I'm now into being shipped? Whoa, man that was quick!

And you're right, I had thought that it was more like 20 hours, but wasn't 100% sure what the production date truly meant. Wow! LOL!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bimmer.work actually just had a small blip. As posted elsewhere though, my MINI was on the production line at the time of filming on the second night of Cars Live by the BBC! Doubtful that it got any camera time, but checking out the VINs on some of the cars they showed at different points in the show and entering into bimmer.work (i.e. screenshots from computers, the one time they zoomed into the paper specs), it pretty much confirmed that my car was there at the same time! VIN-wise the care they showed during the "Selling" portion was quite close to mine.

And it confirmed to me the dedication of the staff, and quality of the product that I'm putting some significant money into. I am impressed - and even more so than some of the other videos I was watching.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And got confirmation... It's on the next booking of the MV Torrens from Southampton to Halifax on Sunday! WOW!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bah! Looks like the Torrens is heading back to England at 3 knots. The car will get to Halifax when it gets there. LOL
Hope the ship and crew are okay!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about the red text, no idea what happened there.
No worries ;) I noticed she's in the Celtic Sea. Interesting. LOL. :) I'm going to stop fretting and just know it'll get here when it gets here. ;) LOL! Thanks for dealing with my #miniacness .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car arrived on the 4th, was offloaded by the 5th, I'm assuming it's now in transit by train. WOOHOO! I figure, the earliest we could get the car is the 16th, latest would be sometime after the 20th.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Car arrived on the 4th, was offloaded by the 5th, I'm assuming it's now in transit by train. WOOHOO! I figure, the earliest we could get the car is the 16th, latest would be sometime after the 20th.
Just to give you a time frame.. Mine was on a ship on Oct. 19 and delivered to Halifax on Oct. 28. Then went into blackout Canada for the rail trip across to Ontario. But I managed to figure out which trucking company brings the MINI from the railyard in Concord to the dealership. (www.lhf.com/tracking) for MINI Oakville and I tracked my VIN on that website to show my MINI picked up today the 10th and delivered to the dealership on the 12th of November. Not sure why a 45 minute drive takes two days... but there ya go

Reactions: Iain Bennett

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to give you a time frame.. Mine was on a ship on Oct. 19 and delivered to Halifax on Oct. 28. Then went into blackout Canada for the rail trip across to Ontario. But I managed to figure out which trucking company brings the MINI from the railyard in Concord to the dealership. (www.lhf.com/tracking) for MINI Oakville and I tracked my VIN on that website to show my MINI picked up today the 10th and delivered to the dealership on the 12th of November. Not sure why a 45 minute drive takes two days... but there ya go
So about two weeks from Halifax. Wow, they must be backed up or CN is just being typically slow. That is a bit of a bummer. LOL. Min will get there when it gets there I guess.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yup. But pretty pathetic considering it was made in England and shipped across the Atlantic Ocean in less time than it takes once it gets in Canada

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to the Port's website, it takes 36 hours to get a car from Halifax to Toronto (Concord) by train. On CN's website I see two versions - one saying 36 hours, the other saying 5 to 7 days. So it says to me that either CN just doesn't have enough capacity on that rail line, or the Autoport is slow to clear vehicles out. Gut feeling says it's CN, and given CN's monopoly in that area... You get what you get, unfortunately.

I'm curious, how many days is MINI Oakville saying for their portion to be done before you pick up, or will you be able to pick up on the 12th?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gotta love the lack of info CN Rail provides BMW/MINI.

So was told by my rep that the car was on railhead - Assuming that means it's in transit.

Well checking Hansen's today, it's been picked up by them for delivery on the 19th. So possibly delivery on the 21st or 23rd to me, but guessing the morning of the 24th.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And the car arrived at the dealership 30 minutes ago. Apparently they're slammed, so was told to expect Tuesday, but I am holding my breath for Saturday or Monday.SQUEE!

·
Registered
200 Posts
And the car arrived at the dealership 30 minutes ago. Apparently they're slammed, so was told to expect Tuesday, but I am holding my breath for Saturday or Monday.SQUEE!
NICE! You might still beat me. Mine arrived at the dealership on the 28th and I still don't have it. i got the same explanation you got 'slammed' and 'hopefully within the month'

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
REALLY????!!!!!!! I'm picking up on Tuesday at 9am. They put a bit of a rush on mine as I'm running out of miles on the Prius but that doesn't excuse how long it's taken for your's.

In the Professional Sevices world, we'd be doing weekend work to catchup. *shakes head*

I was surprised when she said the repair shop wasn't open on Saturdays.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice. Post pics when you pick it up. I would normally care more, but I've been driving a free car courtesy of the dealer for the past two months and put 6500km on it so far. Can't complain too much hah

1 - 20 of 29 Posts