Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all Mini lovers :)
I purchased a 2015 Mini Cooper S to use it as a project car. The goal is fun! I don't need the highest hp or torque rating but I want the car to put a smile on my face every time I look at, sit in it or drive it.

2015 Mini Cooper S - 35,000 miles (56,000kms)
MINI COOPER S - 3 Door, Essentials Package, LED Lights Package, Automatic Transmission, 17inch Cosmos
Spoke Black, Black Bonnet Stripes, Chrome Line Interior, Black Roof and Mirror Caps, Piano Black Interior Trim w/o ZY5, Harman Kardon Sound System.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Changes so far:
Dinan Stage 1 tune - extra 100 hp approx using 91 octane
Blacked out the Mini logo on the hood
Blacked out gas cap cover

Currently on order
:
  • Vaddesign black 18" wheels - 10" back and 9" front staggered
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

• Dinan free flow exhaust
  • Black out package to replace most of the chrome
  • AFE Stage 2 CAI (cold air intake)
Next things on my radar:
  • Forge intercooler (open to other brands if anyone has experience here)
  • Bigger brakes - need to learn more about options
  • Upgraded spark plugs - have researched on this but still unclear of options - input from anyone with knowledge on this is appreciated
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Cloud
Car Vehicle Sky Grille Automotive lighting

If anyone has suggestions on how to make this a better/more fun car I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks like an interesting project, my two cents, in order of priority:

Switch runflats to Michelin PS4 tires.
Install chassis brace (x3) - MMR, Lohen, NM Engineering, Forge all make them, only Lohen and MMR make all three replacement braces.
Install JCW Pro Coilovers - these are specifically designed for teh car and are fantastic, yes there are other kits but unsure if they offer no ride compromises for better handling.
Install NM Engineering rear drop links (adjustable).

This gives a nice taut, supple fast road car, usable every day rain or shine.

If you want a hardcore car, you can start swapping out sway bars and front drop links.

Look forward to updates!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dinan Stage 1 requires 93 octane! I have Dinan Stage 1 and asked them about using 91 octane when traveling to states that don’t have 93 and they strongly recommended against it. The Dinan+ tune is good for 91 octane. The stage 1 tune is awesome!
I also installed JCW brakes and they are worth every penny! I do track days and HPDE events and they are both hard on brakes. I’m not sure if your wheel choice will clear those brakes.

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
77 Posts
Careful with your choice of brakes since you’re now committed to the specs of the rims you bought. Mind you, the staggered set up sounds like it’s going to run something, (possibly the car in the neighbouring lane), it’s so wide! I’ve never heard of 10” wide wheels on an F56. I’ve seen one with wider wheel arches installed that was a pretty fat stance, but damn sir.

In order, getting rid of run flats was a game changer, rear way bar will be a huge improvement for handling. Coilovers would also help, and the JCW set up is really nice but KW makes great options. I have Schnitzer springs and find there was no loss of ride comfort at all, and it’s much more level through corners. I also have the cravenspeed big pair chassis brace which firmed The car up a lot, but I have a clubman.

I wanted smiles too, so for me, the rims/springs, exhaust (JCW tuning kit), and styling bits covered that for me. The rest was pandemic boredom, but no regrets. If you want some Schnitzer bits I can hook you up with the Canadian distributor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like an interesting project, my two cents, in order of priority:

Switch runflats to Michelin PS4 tires.
Install chassis brace (x3) - MMR, Lohen, NM Engineering, Forge all make them, only Lohen and MMR make all three replacement braces.
Install JCW Pro Coilovers - these are specifically designed for teh car and are fantastic, yes there are other kits but unsure if they offer no ride compromises for better handling.
Install NM Engineering rear drop links (adjustable).

This gives a nice taut, supple fast road car, usable every day rain or shine.

If you want a hardcore car, you can start swapping out sway bars and front drop links.

Look forward to updates!
Wow...appreciate the awesome advice. I will be using the Michelin PS4's. They are out of inventory but I can wait until spring as the wheels have to cross the Atlantic. You have given me so much to research. I love it. I'll update the post as I make changes. Thank you once again for taking the time :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dinan Stage 1 requires 93 octane! I have Dinan Stage 1 and asked them about using 91 octane when traveling to states that don’t have 93 and they strongly recommended against it. The Dinan+ tune is good for 91 octane. The stage 1 tune is awesome!
I also installed JCW brakes and they are worth every penny! I do track days and HPDE events and they are both hard on brakes. I’m not sure if your wheel choice will clear those brakes.
I will call Dinan to clear up what tune I have but it sounds like I have Dinan +. Dinan pushed me to go with this because they said 93 is not available everywhere as you mentioned. It took 5 weeks before I got my ecu back, but once reprogrammed, Dinan paid for air freight to have it shipped to me which was a solid move :)

I'll call them today to clear it up. I really appreciate the heads up on what version of the tune I have. To be cleared up later today. I will look into brakes as well. Thanks for all the great info :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Careful with your choice of brakes since you’re now committed to the specs of the rims you bought. Mind you, the staggered set up sounds like it’s going to run something, (possibly the car in the neighbouring lane), it’s so wide! I’ve never heard of 10” wide wheels on an F56. I’ve seen one with wider wheel arches installed that was a pretty fat stance, but damn sir.

In order, getting rid of run flats was a game changer, rear way bar will be a huge improvement for handling. Coilovers would also help, and the JCW set up is really nice but KW makes great options. I have Schnitzer springs and find there was no loss of ride comfort at all, and it’s much more level through corners. I also have the cravenspeed big pair chassis brace which firmed The car up a lot, but I have a clubman.

I wanted smiles too, so for me, the rims/springs, exhaust (JCW tuning kit), and styling bits covered that for me. The rest was pandemic boredom, but no regrets. If you want some Schnitzer bits I can hook you up with the Canadian distributor.
Hi Jeheh,

Thanks for taking the time. The wheels are from a company called Vad Design located in the UK approximately an hour from the Mini factory. Vad Design also makes the wheel flares per website link pics which I've ordered. Shout out to Lee at Vad Design as he has been excellent through the whole buying process and quickly answered every question.

Michelin PS4's will be used :)
What brand of sway bars & coilovers did you use? I hadn't heard of Schnitzer springs until now. Can you send the info for the Canadian distributor? Thanks for all the great advice :)

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
77 Posts
For sure, give Julien a call. Mini Laval is the Canadian distributor for AC Schnitzer. I bought most everything in the catalog for my car except the intercooler, which I have no need for, and the tuning box since I went with the JCW tuning kit. They also do Dinan, which clearly you don’t need.

Very impressed you sent out the ecu, that’s proper. I have a Dinan intake, does nothing but sound nice, and I would think that you only need an intercooler if you’re going to push your car hard and often. It won’t add horsepower and half the year you’ll run plenty cold in winter. It may prevent heat soak in the summer months or prevent some long term wear on the engine if you keep tuning it, but too much air isn’t always a good thing.

My logic was to use what I saved by not getting a JCW and personalize my S. I guess plus a little because I don’t count a second set of rims/tires in that equation since I’d have to buy them anyways.

This thread may interest you on the fender flares…They are madness.

Julien Fernandes
Commis pièces et accessoires

T.: 450-682-1212 poste 343
2450 boul Chomedey, Laval, QC, H7T 2X3
[email protected]
www.minilaval.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For sure, give Julien a call. Mini Laval is the Canadian distributor for AC Schnitzer. I bought most everything in the catalog for my car except the intercooler, which I have no need for, and the tuning box since I went with the JCW tuning kit. They also do Dinan, which clearly you don’t need.

Very impressed you sent out the ecu, that’s proper. I have a Dinan intake, does nothing but sound nice, and I would think that you only need an intercooler if you’re going to push your car hard and often. It won’t add horsepower and half the year you’ll run plenty cold in winter. It may prevent heat soak in the summer months or prevent some long term wear on the engine if you keep tuning it, but too much air isn’t always a good thing.

My logic was to use what I saved by not getting a JCW and personalize my S. I guess plus a little because I don’t count a second set of rims/tires in that equation since I’d have to buy them anyways.

This thread may interest you on the fender flares…They are madness.

Julien Fernandes
Commis pièces et accessoires

T.: 450-682-1212 poste 343
2450 boul Chomedey, Laval, QC, H7T 2X3
[email protected]
www.minilaval.com
Hi Jeheh,
Your car is one of the best looking mini's I've seen so far. It's exactly the look I'm going for with 18x10's in the back & 18x9's in the front. They are ordered from Great Britain and shipping soon as I received an email today. Great job on the car. It's clean but almost looks like a toy car that was built in a video game. I'm inspired from your car. I'll add pics of my F56 as the parts get changed. Take care :)

I will reach out to Julien. merci beaucoup!

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
77 Posts
Thanks so much, it’s a labor of love. Now I’m on to my wife’s countryman, just not sure what she’ll let me get away with. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours. If you need any local contacts, parts or paint shop don’t hesitate to reach out. Take a look on northamericanmotoring as well, it’s a vibrant forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts