Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

i am in the process of purchasing my first MCD and wanted to add a PS3/Bluray player so that the Little ones can watch there favourite disney dvd's on long summer trips. Do any of you guys have any ideas if this would be possible to house a bluray player/PS3 in the boot and connect to portable dvd headrests so they can watch there films and keep the moaning to a minimal "are we there yet"

Thanks for any suggestions

Sam

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just off the top of my head, I don't see why you couldn't. You'd need to get a little creative with running the wires from the back for the controllers and screens, but if you order the Storage Pack option, you'll get a 12v outlet in the boot you could jack the converter into to power the unit. If you didn't want to do a major modification and do a simple ******* engineering solution, the folding seats could be the answer... you could run the wires down the sides, perhaps using the cup holders as controller holders... I'll have to look at mine and develop the idea further.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tiger, thanks for the reply and I'm liking the idea of the 12v outlet in the boot, this sounds like it could save a mass of time and energy trying to find power elsewhere. the only wires that would be needed would be for the screens as the controllers are wireless and can be charged via the usb port in the front. I know people have managed to fully integrate screens into previous mini headrests will the one in the F56 be big enough to do this?

thank again?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know people have managed to fully integrate screens into previous mini headrests will the one in the F56 be big enough to do this?
Another alternative would be to buy headrests that have the LCD built in. Or one of the umpteen roof mounted units (assuming you don't have the sunroof).

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Screen-Headrests-Monitor-Transmitter/dp/B00RCKZC4K/ref=sr_1_5?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1431604839&sr=1-5[/ame]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have looked into this but cannot locate any that say they will fit the F56? maybe i just need to look harder :/

·
Registered
111 Posts
Most of the headrest LCDs are adjustable - somewhere between 4 1/2" and 7 " to 4" to 8" between the posts depending on the model. The trickier bit will be power - some want to be hardwired into your powered seat (obviously not in a MINI) and some want a 12V power plug. Most (all?) of the headliner/roof mounted units want to be hardwired into the power running to an overhead dome light.

I'm just starting to think about these issues myself. Our current vehicle came with an overhead DVD/LCD that also plays on our dash NAV screen. It's great for long road trips - my wife and kids get to watch and I get to listen. But I'm not sure given the MINI's luggage constraints how often we would use a similar system in the MINI.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that the mini is small not the best for luggage but as we are a small family and when not going away the car is very rarely used im trying to give everyone a happy ride. maybe im trying to amke an already great car into an even better car and should think a little less full scale.

Could this be a dream to far?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Could this be a dream too far?
Not at all...happy riders make for a happier driver. And I'm sure you can get either portable or built-in LCD headrests to work using cables connected to a DVD player all powered by a 12V socket.

From there it's a question of mess, effort, and money. If this is an 'every once in a while' thing and you don't mind wires running to and fro I'd probably leave it at that. But if you wanted everything to be 'neat and tidy' than you could move up a step and directly wire in the headrest LCDs (or an overhead one if you don't have a sunroof). And a step up from that would be figuring out how to either get A/V into the MINI's system...or split the A/V out of the MINI DVD changer so it goes into your LCDs as well.

All that said, I'm fairly sure that the PS3 draws too many amps to use a 12V socket. You would need to pull power directly from a wire somewhere in the car (or most likely directly from the battery) to an inverter. Or have someone with the right know how pull the DC from the car into the DC in the PS3 without going DC->AC->DC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the idea of a few wires for the summer which I could then lose again might be my best option. If by some random chance i manage to find someone who has the know how and time, and me the money to do the neat and sleek look i will be more than happy to let you guys into the process and pics as and when.

if a dvd player in the boot or dash might be easier and lower power then probably try this first.

look forward to hearing more options from all you guys. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts