Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just purchased but not taken delivery of a 2015 Mini Cooper S with full spec.

It is at Evans Halshaw and it has done 44000 miles. They have just sent me a picture of the service History and I’m a little worried as it seems to have missed a service.

I read a service should be every 2 years or 18000 miles so if they have gone off miles it’s not far off but that’s daft.

Should I walk away.

Thanks

danny

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

I personally wouldn’t be happy to buy it with such a large interval between services. I’d keep looking for your perfect car......there’ll be plenty out there with the options you want and a full service history. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi
Welcome to the forum! :)

I personally wouldn’t be happy to buy it with such a large interval between services. I’d keep looking for your perfect car......there’ll be plenty out there with the options you want and a full service history. :)
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking that myself but it hasn’t done that many miles in between.

I’m in two minds, they are delivering it to the branch near me and I get 7 days and if I’m not happy return it. I might do that and get it checked out.

you never know someone thick may I’d owned it and just done the mileage service not time 🙄🙄🙄🙄

·
Registered
409 Posts
It’s done almost 5k more than the recommended interval of 18k......an interval which most members already think is way too high. :)

Is there any chance it’s been serviced by an indie but not recorded on the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s done almost 5k more than the recommended interval of 18k......an interval which most members already think is way too high. :)

Is there any chance it’s been serviced by an indie but not recorded on the car?
You just don’t know do you? Could of been an older person and they could of done it themselves.

I know the last service it has everything done, plugs,oil, filters, coolant etc.

im just not sure but are you ever?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s always difficult unless buying new......something which I refuse to do now...even if I could afford it. :)

I hope everything’s ok with it. Post some piccies when it arrives. :)
This is it has panoramic sunroof, sat nav, full leather, heads up display, heated seats etc.

I’m just not sure on the history 😂😂

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was in a similar position. I purchased a 2015 Clubman with full spec (but on 26,000), but no service history. I think there was 2 or 3 recorded on the computer, but nothing on paper. Looking at its history it was a lease car, was MOTd at the main dealer so I assumed the appropriate service was carried out.

I took Stratstones motor guarantee as a precaution that will cover the car for 2 years. The car I had before the mini was from Evans Halshaw (same group as Stratstone), it had a fault with the drivers door lock and they honoured the warranty and replaced it without question from a main dealer (£400 to get sorted otherwise).

The lack of service history meant it was a little cheaper 15000 with Stratstone as appose to 17500 from Mini with very similar specs (in fact the one I had had a few more extras).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was in a similar position. I purchased a 2015 Clubman with full spec (but on 26,000), but no service history. I think there was 2 or 3 recorded on the computer, but nothing on paper. Looking at its history it was a lease car, was MOTd at the main dealer so I assumed the appropriate service was carried out.

I took Stratstones motor guarantee as a precaution that will cover the car for 2 years. The car I had before the mini was from Evans Halshaw (same group as Stratstone), it had a fault with the drivers door lock and they honoured the warranty and replaced it without question from a main dealer (£400 to get sorted otherwise).

The lack of service history meant it was a little cheaper 15000 with Stratstone as appose to 17500 from Mini with very similar specs (in fact the one I had had a few more extras).
Thanks it’s not the mileage or anything I just think 3.5 years no service is scary. But I checked the mot one year it did about 3000 miles so could just be they didn’t bother.

I get 3 months warranty but do you think it’s worth the extra 400 to have a guarantee? I’ve read in other places they are a nightmare to pay out but you seem to have managed it.

this is a good buy at £10300

·
Registered
643 Posts
Worth checking if it has paperwork for one done by another service garage, as only MINI themselves can update that particular screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Worth checking if it has paperwork for one done by another service garage, as only MINI themselves can update that particular screen.
I thought that and asked but they said they don’t have anything. 😣

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just did the interval service myself, will go this week to the main dealer for the big boy service every 2 years/36,000 miles. There again, my car is so depreciated now I could care less about selling it with 'full service history' (65,000 miles).

They are valuing my Cooper D F55 at 65,000 miles for 5,700 GBP, might as well keep the car and drive it to the ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just did the interval service myself, will go this week to the main dealer for the big boy service every 2 years/36,000 miles. There again, my car is so depreciated now I could care less about selling it with 'full service history' (65,000 miles).

They are valuing my Cooper D F55 at 65,000 miles for 5,700 GBP, might as well keep the car and drive it to the ground.
Thanks I just wondered should I be worried. Seems there are mixed reviews. I might take there extended warranty for what it’s worth, if anything.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks I just wondered should I be worried. Seems there are mixed reviews. I might take there extended warranty for what it’s worth, if anything.
My car is running perfectly, and uses no oil whatsoever, so I wouldn't worry too much about servicing. I just make sure I buy used cars from a dealer with a one year warranty, plenty of time to fix anything that is going wrong.

I agree above about buying new, it's a ridiculous waste of money these days, I bought my MINI used from a dealer at 10,000 GBP (18,000 GBP new) with only 2 years/20,000 miles on the clock and it has been completely perfect so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you bought the car yet? If you have or haven't, make sure you insure it. God knows what all paths you will be forced to cross since you plan to take delivery of a previously purchased one. There are all kinds of layers of schemes that might save you a lot of money if something is to go wrong. To be on the safer side, why don't you get a professional mechanic and take it for a test run. He/she might know if something is missing. Also, don't forget about insurance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My car is running perfectly, and uses no oil whatsoever, so I wouldn't worry too much about servicing. I just make sure I buy used cars from a dealer with a one year warranty, plenty of time to fix anything that is going wrong.

I agree above about buying new, it's a ridiculous waste of money these days, I bought my MINI used from a dealer at 10,000 GBP (18,000 GBP new) with only 2 years/20,000 miles on the clock and it has been completely perfect so far.
I agree entirely. Our Clubman S was 11 months old, with 2,200 miles on the clock. It had a list price of £35k and we got it for under £23k. Now owned for exactly a year, done about 5k, faultless miles in it.

By contrast, my own car is now 3 years old from new, done 21k miles in that time and has lost £30k in value!

Not sure what will happen in the future, as we are keeping both until the picture is much clearer (ICE sales ban, EV improvements etc), but we will never 'buy' another new car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts