Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wanted to ask a question about placing an order. One of the local dealers in the Dallas, TX area was willing to place my order without me signing anything and without a deposit. Another wants a $1000 deposit. I am very leary of the one who did not want a deposit and no signature. Seems like I don't have any real confirmation that the car is being reserved for me, even though he said the order has my name on it.

What are your experiences when placing a custom order for your Mini? Did you have to put down a deposit and how much?

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
In order to secure your order, you will need to sign official documentation like a contract. The deposit andhow much is just an arrangement between yourself and the dealer. The deposit is only used for security where if you change your mind and dont go ahead with the signed contract, the dealer can either sue you or keep the deposit which is cheaper and easier for them.

Sounds like the dealer is either extremely accommodating or they were going to get the car and place it in their yard anyway and a presale is just a bonus for them albeit very strange practice.

Anyway, welcome and hope you get your wheels very soon.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
When I ordered my MINI I signed an order contract and had a $1,000 deposit. I believe most States allow you to back out of the contract with a full refund if you change your mind within a day or so (don't recall the time period).

I'd be nervous placing a custom order without any paperwork with the build details!

I changed my mind on two occasions, before I was issued as production number & each time my MA executed a change order, revising my build.

Get paperwork!!!

Enjoy the process,

John

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Welcome to the site, exciting times ahead... I had put a deposit down on my order - they originally wanted £1000, but I ended up putting just £500 down on the day of order.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Here's the deal:

Most dealers will require a deposit for two reasons: One, so they know you're serious and won't back out when you get cold feet. It filters out the fickle customers. Second, if you do walk, they won't be stuck with a car they'll have a harder time selling. This is especially true of certain unpopular color combinations or cars that are fully loaded or with uncommon option combinations - it really depends on the area and your build. Most dealers know what sells and what doesn't and will charge the deposit accordingly. My local dealer charges anywhere from $1000 to $3000 depending on the build.

Sales contract is not required, mostly because you're not buying anything until the car arrives. The price can change from the order date to the delivery date as sales incentives change from month to month and dealers never know in advance what they will be. If you do get a sales contract, it will typically include the MSRP and estimated taxes and fees. You'll usually at least get a quote and an order sheet that will show your build options, that it is a Priority 1 car (for a customer), a build date, and a production number. They can also discuss financing if you're using them and if you're trading, a lot of dealers can do a preliminary appraisal of your trade. Again, since you're not making it official until the car arrives, this value can change, but at least it gives a ballpark so you can minimize any surprises on delivery day.

If a dealer is willing to order a car for you without doing paperwork, that's not too strange, just uncommon. I would expect to get an order sheet with all the details I listed above, specifically, your name, Priority 1, and a production number. This will at least show that the car is going to you and you'll be able to track it on it's journey from the factory to the dealer.

I've ordered both my MINIs and the first one I had to put down a $700 refundable deposit, but I don't remember if I had a sales order or not. The second one I had no deposit, no sales order, just a build sheet and we did all my paperwork when the car arrived, but I work with this dealer a lot in my line of work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts