Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I have got a few questions before we leave for our French road trip. I would really appreciate your help on these.

1. Can I use my ThinkWare F750 DashCam in France? It has camera detection feature built in which can be disabled.

2. I have media pack hence my MINI has its own built in satnav, I am not sure how good the satnav will be in France. I will also have Sygic iPhone app (uses tomtom maps). I will have data on the move however it also works offline. Should I also take my tomtom Start 60 too? ( I will have all camera detection features turned off)

3. I have ordered and received the euro travel kit (high viz jacket, bulb kit, GB sticker, red triangle and light beam deflector). Do I also need first aid kit and fire extinguisher as per law?

4. I have no idea on how to install the headlight beam deflectors, as far as my understanding goes, the headlights have a little cross in the middle if the lens. Should I install the deflectors at 7'o clock position of both lights?

5. Any tips and tricks to remind me to drive on the right side? (Sticky note pad, wear one glove)

6. Is there anything else I am missing here?

If I remember any more question then I shall bother you once again.

Many Thanks
Saurabh

·
Registered
197 Posts
3. I recently traveled to Germany in a Minibus - we bought the euro kit but didn't have a fire extinguisher. At the eurotunnel services, there was a notice stating that the law covering fire extinguishers was in dispute and that it isn't commonly enforced.

4. I may be wrong, but I believe the Mini uses the sat nav for headlight balancing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3. I recently traveled to Germany in a Minibus - we bought the euro kit but didn't have a fire extinguisher. At the eurotunnel services, there was a notice stating that the law covering fire extinguishers was in dispute and that it isn't commonly enforced.

4. I may be wrong, but I believe the Mini uses the sat nav for headlight balancing.
With regards to the headloght I think that might be with the LED adaptive ones. I could be wrong.. :(

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I don't believe I would travel to a country that required me to jump through all those hoops.
If I want to drive 3000 miles across country I just pack a couple changes of clothes and bring my credit card for gas and lodging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am on it... >:D

We are traveling to the Italian lakes via Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland and checked with MINI as I have the LED lights. As mentioned before you don't need to do anything with them as they don't dazzle. I have xenons on my R52 and these are so much brighter, definitely worth the upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
We are traveling to the Italian lakes via Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland and checked with MINI as I have the LED lights. As mentioned before you don't need to do anything with them as they don't dazzle. I have xenons on my R52 and these are so much brighter, definitely worth the upgrade

They don't dazzle, however in the UK at least, I've lost count of the times I've been flashed by other drivers who assume I've got my full beam on :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
1. Yes, No problem
2. MINI Nav works fine, has europe maps by default and they're very good.

Re beam benders, hmmm, the Mini beam without LED's is still pretty flat. Take some, but don't bother fitting them unless you get lots of flashes. Le Flic don't care.
Fire Extinguisher - I'd get one anyway. Sensible safety equipment.

Other advice. Keep your foot down and ignore any blue lights, they're only french...

·
Registered
55 Posts
They don't dazzle, however in the UK at least, I've lost count of the times I've been flashed by other drivers who assume I've got my full beam on :D

It's funny, I get people flashing me with the xenons on my R52 but so far no one has flashed me with my LEDs on the F55

1 - 15 of 15 Posts