Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A couple of questions re 2014 Hardtop with the full Sat Nav options:

1. When using the voice control - is it possible to say 'Point of Interest' and then make an ONLINE point of interest voice search? I can do this on my BMW.

2. Is it possible to hold down the voice command button and it'll connect to Siri? I can do this on my BMW.

Please note I'm in N. America.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 mini hardtop and the voice command button doesn't do anything...and not even covered in the owner's manual. Sales person had no idea--but thinks the car must be equipped with mini connected package for it to work. Car is equipped with bluetooth--seems silly to put a button in the car if not intended to work (why not just put in a 'plug' like every other non-equip option button?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be great if someone could give me a helpful answer regarding my voice control question. Can you perform an online points of interest search? So press voice control, say "online search for points of interest" and then you can perform a search by voice. Works great in BMWs and Im hoping its same on Minis

Thanks for the Siri info, Crobson.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Voice control works well in my MCS f56, one press and you can ask to do anything... Change radio station, make telephone call etc. if you hold down the voice button it connects to Siri on your iPhone, brilliant for sending text messages as this feature doesnt work on the normal voice command

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Cooper countryman

I have a voice control button and I am linked to the car with bluetooth . Shouldn't this voice control button at least allow me to use it to call someone in my phone list? If so , how do I make it work? Like " Call Tom"... Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
1: No. MINIs don't have online connectivity.

2: Yes, if you have Media package, or Connected XL (sounds like OP has XL), the voice command button will trigger Siri if you press and hold. If you are one of the 5 people that has a Windows Phone, it will also activate Cortana. A quick press can be used for navigating around the menu or initiating calls, but I personally find it more frustrating that helpful.

If you don't have Media package or Connected XL, the voice command button does nothing. MINI used the same steering wheel, regardless of equipment to save costs so everyone has the button, but unless you have enhanced bt, it doesn't do anything. The 2nd gen MINIs were this way too.

·
Registered
646 Posts

2: Yes, if you have Media package, or Connected XL (sounds like OP has XL), the voice command button will trigger Siri if you press and hold. If you are one of the 5 people that has a Windows Phone, it will also activate Cortana. A quick press can be used for navigating around the menu or initiating calls, but I personally find it more frustrating that helpful.

If you don't have Media package or Connected XL, the voice command button does nothing. MINI used the same steering wheel, regardless of equipment to save costs so everyone has the button, but unless you have enhanced bt, it doesn't do anything. The 2nd gen MINIs were this way too.
To point 2, is this also the case for the Visual Boost radio?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
To point 2, is this also the case for the Visual Boost radio?
Visual Boost by itself, no. The Media Package is required as it includes the key component = enhanced bluetooth.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Visual Boost by itself, no. The Media Package is required as it includes the key component = enhanced bluetooth.
Ah, shame I won't have it then as I didn't want the armrest which this option would automatically include. Can't have it all!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have almost the same set up as you, James. For question 1, the best workaround I can recommend is to use Siri and the MINI Connected Journeymate XL app.

Summon Siri to search for a POI online then from the Apple Maps screen, tap the Share button and select the JourneyMate app to send the POI address to your vehicle.

If you are able to or have a passenger to work your iPhone, it's much easier to search and send the address to your vehicle directly from the JourneyMate app.

As for online POI search via the nav system, you can do it if you have the MINI Connected app (different from MINI Connected JourneyMate XL app) installed on your iPhone and you're logged into a MINI Connected account. However, I'm not sure about using the voice control for this.

I've tried both of these options myself and they worked. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts

What will it connect to if you have an android?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts