Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to the forum but not new to Mini’s. Been to test drive a Mini electric this morning and arrived back at the dealers with a big smile on my face, so I’m hooked! Just got a couple of questions hopefully you lovely people can answer. Firstly do they have run flat tires and secondly is there any benefit ride wise to picking 16” wheels rather than 17”. I’m looking at a level 2 with black wheels so could pick either size.

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
Definitely no runflats as standard on the EV-the SE is a better ride than the other F56 minis as the battery weight helps-but you would get a slightly better ride still with the 16" alloys-are they an option? If you liked the car you test drove stick to that! You can of course fit runflats after you've got the car -if you want a harsh ride and poorer handling plus very expensive-depends how much you value being able to drive with a puncture-as standard the ev comes with pump and mousse but if I had a blow out on our roads I'd be ringing recovery-UK drivers have their noses in their phones most of the time and not on the roads!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Welcome!
F series MINIs are firmly sprung, including the electric, despite it having a slightly raised ride height compared to the internal combustion-engined versions.
If ride comfort is your priority, then smaller diameter wheels are the way to go as the taller sidewalls of their tyres absorb more of our poorly surfaced roads.
When I looked into a replacement car earlier this year I was informed by the dealer that runflats are now an option. Others here will doubtless confirm. Non-runflats provide a better, quieter and more compliant ride but you don't get a spare wheel - just an inflator and some sealant in a repair kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

We're in the same position. Went for our 2nd test drive in the Mini SE this afternoon, and loved it. Definitely placing an order. We're going with Black wheels, and also weighing up 16" vs 17".

The one we test drove had 17" alloys (the marmite ones !), and though good it definitely showed up pot holes. When I look online at the 16" "Victory Spoke" black wheels vs the 17" "Tentacle Spoke" black wheels, it looks as though the 16" wheels are slightly "recessed" compared to the 17s making them less susceptible to kerbing ? Can anyone on here confirm ? My wife has previous form in terms of kerbing alloys so I'm keen to minimise the risk there !

Thanks,

Jon

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
Aha didn't know they'd become an option. Dont think although slightly narrower 16"s will help prevent kerbing. Slightly better ride yes kerbs mm mm . Many tyres do have a rim protector but since make isn't a choice it's potluck what you'll get and how effective that is. Higher sidewall helps though. More tyre before kerb contact.

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
191 Posts
Run-flat wasn't an option when I bought mine (back in July). Even if it had have been I would have clearly stated NO!!!
Again, no choice offered on the actual make of tyres but, according to the BMW site, there are only three they use on the MINI.
Mine came with Pirelees P7s which have a significant amount of rubber outside of the alloy rim itself so the alloy is well protected.
More than the Michelin P4S that I have on my Focus ST which I chose because they had the best protection for that size wheel.
Best solution is don't drive close to kerbs.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Was checking regarding the run flats as I had them on my 2011 Cooper s convertible and hated them. Couldn’t find anything on the Mini website or spec as to whether the car came with a tyre kit or not, so I’m quite relieved there standard tyres. The one I drove had 17” wheels and was ok as I’m used to driving cars with firm suspension, but as I live in rural North Yorkshire the roads are not great and anything I can do to improve the ride is a bonus. I’m just sorting out an extended 2 hour test drive (can’t find anyone to give me 24h test drive) with another garage so will see what wheels that car has, but think I will probably go with 16”

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am running a 3 door Cooper with a 17'' rims as they came with the chili pack. For the roads of Hungary, 17'' is too firm and nowadays thinking to get 16s which are not cheap with new 16 tires. If my driving was only in highways, maybe 17s would be still fine but in city, sometimes the journey becomes pretty uncomfortable.

I guess, lighter wheels should also benefit acceleration and mileage a bit, and obviously 16s would be lighter. But of course better to test drive both.

It is funny, how everyone says the F56s are big step up on the ride comfort if compared with previous models. I never drove any other Mini, but in this case, I assume R series had pretty firm ride :)

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
108 Posts
My wife has already kerbed a wheel on mine. :( She has ordered a new one from MINI though. But then I had to go an reverse into something yesterday - very light bumper damage but still annoying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts