Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I picked up my 2016 MCS F55 on 9/5. This is my first Mini and I'm loving every minute of it!! I do have a few questions though, so please pardon my ignorance...

1. I have comfort access on my Mini, and unlocking the car works flawlessly. However, it seems like, when locking the car, it gets confused. It sometimes tries to unlock again (all of the doors are already unlocked) and then I have to wait a few seconds before pressing the button again to get it to work. Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe there's a work around for this?

2. I'd like to get a couple of accessories for my ride, like the sunshade. But Mini's website doesn't have sunshades for any F55 models. I also purchased a rearview mirror cover using the 2015 F55 as a part number reference, but this thing was waaaay too small. Any idea when they typically come out with goodies for fairly new models?

3. I purchased a black (on black on black) Mini, but am now considering a white roof (and possibly white mirror caps). I've noticed that a lot of people on here make cosmetic changes with vinyl. Can this be done on something large and complicated (oh...like wrapping an entire roof that has a sunroof in the middle)? How long does it last? And, if I don't like it, would it be easy to remove myself?

Since you've managed to make it to the end of my long-winded questions, I'll throw in some crappy iPhone pics of the new guy! Happy Monday!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Have you considered have the windows tinted instead of using sunshades. You can find a shade for the windshield from a F56/55 at your Dealer Ebay or any after market Mini Dealers. Also you can set your lock/unlock and some others features from you center display. I be sure somebody else will jump in soon and give you more detailed info. I do not have the fancy package sorry.:)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Congrats!

See my responses below in red:

Hi all! I picked up my 2016 MCS F55 on 9/5. This is my first Mini and I'm loving every minute of it!! I do have a few questions though, so please pardon my ignorance...

1. I have comfort access on my Mini, and unlocking the car works flawlessly. However, it seems like, when locking the car, it gets confused. It sometimes tries to unlock again (all of the doors are already unlocked) and then I have to wait a few seconds before pressing the button again to get it to work. Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe there's a work around for this?

The comfort access system has a weird logic to it. Normally, if it's just you in the car, when you leave, just your door is unlocked. When you go to hit the button, it thinks you want to unlock the other doors. It is designed to not accept input for about 1.5 seconds so you're probably clicking a couple times at this point. Usually by the 3-4th click, all the doors finally unlock.

The workaround for this is to hit the unlock button on the door handle INSIDE the car on your way out. This should lock all the doors with one press on the outside handle.

2. I'd like to get a couple of accessories for my ride, like the sunshade. But Mini's website doesn't have sunshades for any F55 models. I also purchased a rearview mirror cover using the 2015 F55 as a part number reference, but this thing was waaaay too small. Any idea when they typically come out with goodies for fairly new models?

I'm with EvlKarl - I like tinting better if you're looking to cool your car down. Looks cooler anyway ;)

If you would still rather have a window cover, Outmotoring.com sells some too:

Do you have the auto dimming rearview mirror? If so, there is currently no mirror cover that will fit.

3. I purchased a black (on black on black) Mini, but am now considering a white roof (and possibly white mirror caps). I've noticed that a lot of people on here make cosmetic changes with vinyl. Can this be done on something large and complicated (oh...like wrapping an entire roof that has a sunroof in the middle)? How long does it last? And, if I don't like it, would it be easy to remove myself?

Vinyl will last a few years, depending on the climate. It's a pretty easy process, really and is MUCH cheaper than painting, but expensive enough where you might not want to just "rip it off". Most places can do it in less than a day.

Since you've managed to make it to the end of my long-winded questions, I'll throw in some crappy iPhone pics of the new guy! Happy Monday!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The door locking/unlocking got me too. Now that I understand what is going on it makes sense. I'll have to try unlocking the entire car from inside before getting out.

Not to hijack the thread, but my question is how do I keep the audio volume from resetting each time I start the car? I've got an iPod Nano plugged in to the USB port that has my current audiobook on it. Every time I start the car the volume is so low I can barely hear the book. I have gotten into the habit (in just 4 days of MINI ownership) of immediately upping the volume using the steering wheel controls when starting the car. I looked through the settings but didn't see anything that looked like it would reset the default "start up" volume level.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered have the windows tinted instead of using sunshades. You can find a shade for the windshield from a F56/55 at your Dealer Ebay or any after market Mini Dealers. Also you can set your lock/unlock and some others features from you center display. I be sure somebody else will jump in soon and give you more detailed info. I do not have the fancy package sorry.:)
I do want to have my windows tinted eventually, but I'm trying to wait for my wallet to recover from all of these fancy packages I just bought :)

Truth be told, the vent timer has worked pretty well so far. I'm just leery of the day when I'm late to work and have to park on the top of the deck...

Congrats!

See my responses below in red:
You are absolutely right about the unlock/lock feature! I must've been mistaken about all the doors being unlocked (explains why it didn't happen all the time). I especially appreciate you debunking my husband's theory about there being a secret sensor scanning my fingerprint and determining what level clearance I had...

I did see Out Motoring's sunshade, but noticed that it doesn't mention the rain sensor like a few others I've seen around. Does that make a big difference? So far, my luck with getting F55 compatible stuff that actually fit my car hasn't been too good.

I do have the auto dimming mirror, so I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for a properly sized cover. My dealer did mention that the mirror can also be wrapped, so I may try that as a cheaper intro into the world of vinyl.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tinting windows definitely helps. Ours came with the shades on the front and back glass panels, must've been in one of the packages.

If you do end up parked on top deck in the sun, can always hold the unlock button on the fob for 5 seconds (I think) as you are walking towards car. This will open windows and sun roof. But the opposite doesn't work, cannot close again with fob. But can hold the door handle button when locking to close everything.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm curious as to where you got the black jack inserts for the door handles? I like the lol of the black jack accessories and am in the process of adding a little accent to my car and those tickle my modding bug!

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you do end up parked on top deck in the sun, can always hold the unlock button on the fob for 5 seconds (I think) as you are walking towards car. This will open windows and sun roof. But the opposite doesn't work, cannot close again with fob. But can hold the door handle button when locking to close everything.
Just a quick one, but on my Cooper, holding the lock button with the windows down closes them. However you have to keep your finger on the lock button until they're closed.

Also, regarding the roof. When I was in the dealership I had a look through their customising catalogue and the roof stuff started from around £100-£200. Not sure if this sort of thing is what you're looking for but there's a few designs at: http://mini-brochures.co.uk/MINI-Accessories/decals/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious as to where you got the black jack inserts for the door handles? I like the lol of the black jack accessories and am in the process of adding a little accent to my car and those tickle my modding bug!
They're called Cupeez Scratch Guards. I got them off eBay, but I think they're also on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161218241642

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick one, but on my Cooper, holding the lock button with the windows down closes them. However you have to keep your finger on the lock button until they're closed.

Also, regarding the roof. When I was in the dealership I had a look through their customising catalogue and the roof stuff started from around £100-£200. Not sure if this sort of thing is what you're looking for but there's a few designs at: http://mini-brochures.co.uk/MINI-Accessories/decals/
Wow! I didn't know Mini had so many designs! I wonder if those are available in the U.S... I'll have to harass my MA!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I do want to have my windows tinted eventually, but I'm trying to wait for my wallet to recover from all of these fancy packages I just bought :)

Truth be told, the vent timer has worked pretty well so far. I'm just leery of the day when I'm late to work and have to park on the top of the deck...

You are absolutely right about the unlock/lock feature! I must've been mistaken about all the doors being unlocked (explains why it didn't happen all the time). I especially appreciate you debunking my husband's theory about there being a secret sensor scanning my fingerprint and determining what level clearance I had...

I did see Out Motoring's sunshade, but noticed that it doesn't mention the rain sensor like a few others I've seen around. Does that make a big difference? So far, my luck with getting F55 compatible stuff that actually fit my car hasn't been too good.

I do have the auto dimming mirror, so I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for a properly sized cover. My dealer did mention that the mirror can also be wrapped, so I may try that as a cheaper intro into the world of vinyl.

Thanks for all the help!
MiniMania.com has a wide selection of sun shades that are designed for windshields with or without the rain sensor package that fit both F56 and F55 models. They aren't cheap, but they are quality. They also have a custom line with big googly eyes so your Mini looks like it is from the movie Cars heh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.