Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share with you my retrofit of R56 B pillar ambient lighting on my 2014 F56 Cooper S 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a door card from ebay for the led. All is powered by the footwell module. The most difficult part was to drill holes to the B pillars 馃槄

Registered
I used a door card from ebay for the led. All is powered by the footwell module. The most difficult part was to drill holes to the B pillars 馃槄
So you tapped/soldered the wires from the footwell led module to the B pillars?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I built it myself using a spare footwell from ebay. I took 4 of the 5 wires, exactly. Where do you want to add lights to your jcw?

Registered
I built it myself using a spare footwell from ebay. I took 4 of the 5 wires, exactly. Where do you want to add lights to your jcw?
I will install the ambient lighting strips to the doors under the piano black trim and something similar to my dash trim underneath the Alloy facias as found on the new Mini LCI2 - but not under the separate vents (photos below of LCI2) I will solder them into the main wiring and use the wiring loom fabric tape so it looks like the genuine loom. Waiting for the weather to improve maybe at the end of this month and a whole day so I can do this. A nice project to keep me busy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice project! Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade to lci2 dash trim? I've seen one on ebay, but it was scratched

Registered
Nice project! Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade to lci2 dash trim? I've seen one on ebay, but it was scratched View attachment 72456 View attachment 72458
I am waiting on a price for the lci2 alloy trim from mini, but it鈥檚 going to be expensive . Also I don鈥檛 think it will fit with the current trim which houses the 8.8 inch screen, so that will need replacing which is big bucks. Then the other side vents close to the doors will need replacing to match the new ones on the trim. So to get it looking like the lci2 it will be a big amount of cash. I think what I want to do will look just as good for the fraction of the price, plus it will be unique. It will not go all away under the trim because of the vents but still will look genuine and I am using the same Bmw mini ambient light led modules and the same acrylic rods to project the light in the correct places. I will take photos and a video, but not to many as it slows my work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must agree with you that having something unique is very satisfying. Can't wait to see your work.
I saw someone put the aliexpress illuminated air vent...... 馃
It's way too much, in my opinion, but that led stripe alone looks good

Registered
I must agree with you that having something unique is very satisfying. Can't wait to see your work.
I saw someone put the aliexpress illuminated air vent...... 馃
It's way too much, in my opinion, but that led stripe alone looks good View attachment 72461
The led under the dash looks ok. This is the flexible plastic fibre optic available but it looks crap when it鈥檚 not in and visible. What I will do will not be visible but tucked under the trim projecting the light like the lci2 dash trim and it鈥檚 solid rather than flexible. I will need to use heat to fit it. I did some practise bending on the image below. You can see it fit perfectly into the original Bmw led unit

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have 3 of those in a standard door panel, reason why I used this, you can get them from about 30-40鈧. Cheaper than buying all stuff separately

1 - 17 of 17 Posts