Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having my standard 6 speaker set up upgraded on Friday.

After lots of research and calls, have found the best speakers are made by a German company called rainbow and are designed for BMW's, so will fit mini perfectly.

Instal consists of

2 new 8" speakers under the seats in the original housings

2 new front door 4" speakers with tweeters flush fitted into a pillars.

1 400w 4 channel JL audio amp hidden in the boot side panel to power new set up.

The company fitting it in Portsmouth say it will sound amazing with a vast improvement on stock set up. They even think better than the HK system. (With some fine tuning) Interesting they said not to upgrade rears or amplify them as I wouldn't notice a difference.

Pics to follow on Friday, and Sextons are going to hopefully put some photos online too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This sounds really interesting. I had to stop somewhere on extras and for me that was omitting the HK option. May I ask the price?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered the HK system but dealer forgot to put it on contract and I missed that mistake, so they gave me some compensation. Total cost is £850, which seems a lot but they have a tonne of work to do. They rip out the old door speaker mounts and build wooden ones which are better for acoustics and then put some sound deadening around the mounts.

They will also take out the front seats and make some changes to the existing under seat speaker mounts so they can take the slightly deeper speakers.

I could have got a cheaper system for around the £700 mark but that would have been 6" speakers under the seats which don't pack so much punch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The system sounds amazing!!!

They couldn't fit the amp in the side panel so made a small enclosure in the hidden boot section for it.

The guy in the shop played some 320bit music from his phone and I was lost for words. Sounds much better than the HK system I heard in the dealership. There is so much clarity between the bass and treble and vocal tracks raise the hairs on your neck.

The total cost was £1000 as in the post above I forgot to mention the £150 deposit. So at £410 more than the HK system in my opinion it's definitely worth it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's looks fantastic! I can see that you're not that far from me; I haven't seen you around.... I'll start listening instead!

·
Registered
49 Posts
can you retro fit the 6 disc cd unit. I know they say
the wiring is made to fit the car but can it be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts