Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else experienced random drivetrain errors? This is not the message with “drive moderately” (that always pops up when I search it) but just a more simple error.

There are a couple of coonditions where it’s like to happen. First condition (common but irregular) is usually after car has been driven, then parked for a little while (such as going shopping) then it’ll sometimes come on after restarting, either straight away or shortly after driving off. Second (less common) is sometimes when I slow down but not quite stop and pull away quickly (such as slowing for a red light that changes to green just as you reach it). Of course I can’t get this to show whenever I want it to, just occasionally (sometimes a couple of times a week, other it can be a few weeks without the error).

It says full performance not available although its sounds and feels normal. The message will clear from Check Control somewhere between 5 seconds to 5 minutes.

It’s been to the dealer twice but they haven’t a clue! First time (in the autumn) was a software update....didn’t fix it. Second time (a few weeks ago) was for a new Integrated Supply Unit (apparently something had flagged up saying that needed replacement but nothing noticeable to me. Obviously not connected to generic drivetrain error.

My ECU reader shows everything is clear, no stored or pending codes at all, even when the error is still “live” in Check Control!

Amy help would be greatly appreciated! Surely I can’t be the only one with this silly error?! If it is just an electronic ‘glitch’ then I guess I’ll have to live with it, as I said, it appears to perform normally and normally clears within a couple of minutes...

(I’ve tried to add a photo of it, if it uploads properly using my iPad)

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've also had two occurrences between services where this has randomly appeared for me. Same message.
On the first occasion they said it was a common error fixed with a software update. The second time they gave me the same explanation but I noticed that they didn't do any updates and likely just cleared the code. It hasn't happened in a long while since then though (20,000 kms). The only other error I got recently was an issue where my cruise control and speed limit functions refused to work and it gave an error. Again when I asked what was at the 3rd service, they said they didn't know what caused it and to just keep an eye on it happening again (they just cleared the error).

I don't think this is something you just have to live with, especially if it is happening regularly I would want BMW to diagnose it properly and fix it.
In my instance it has only happened a couple of times so I'm not too bothered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's in for her first oil/microfilter service this week. They'll also have another look at the Drivetrain fault! Third time lucky? If only there was some clue as to what causes it, which I could use to give the dealer a nudge... seems to be the most generic error that exists.

·
Registered
1 Posts
She's in for her first oil/microfilter service this week. They'll also have another look at the Drivetrain fault! Third time lucky? If only there was some clue as to what causes it, which I could use to give the dealer a nudge... seems to be the most generic error that exists.
How is your car? What error code did you see when connecting the computer to the car? failed cooling fan initiation?
I have a very similar problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I’ve had the exact same issue as you guys. Is there any update on the matter? Would love to know more about it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts