Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I drove my MCS, and threw the keyfob out of the window (making sure it landed on something soft, of course) what would happen?

Would the car stop working, as it got out of range of the keyfob?

If so, how long before it did? Would the engine simply stop? Would it wait until it was moving slowly before the engine cuts?

·
Registered
734 Posts
My dealer said the engine would cut out before you got very far away... I don't know if he thought I would try and steal the car or whether he was trying to talk up the security systems :|

For the dead battery quesiton, the manual describes how to get into the car and start it with a dead fob (there's a special place where you have to hold it on the steering column)... I don't think it says you have to keep it there while driving.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I often wonder about this and it did cross my mind that for safety reasons the car would keep going until it was stopped and them would not go again. Just my theory though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Haha we tested this (sort of) with the loaner 1 Series I had. My boyfriend walked away from the car, with the key, and I drove away. I got an alert message on the screen to say something about key being out of range and car wouldn't be able to be restarted - but the engine kept going. I guess for safety purposes they can't just **** the engine down!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
The dealer told me that when they did a show they left the engine running on a car locked it, and then the salesman with the key went home. He got a call on the way home and had to turn around.

I would think for safety that there's no way the engine would ever just cut out. Doesn't make sense.

Oli

·
Registered
890 Posts
My last car with this keyless type of system allowed you to start the engine and then go away from the car, say go back to the house if you had forgotten something but leave the engine running in the garage, with the "key" in your pocket.

The engine just continued to run.

I presume the Mini system is basically the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts