Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post on here as I just bought a brand new Cooper S with JCW Pack. My first ever Mini :)

I have a couple questions relating to the Multimedia side of things. I have the XL Media Pack, and the 20GB hard-drive, which I've imported a load of MP3's onto. However, I haven't yet seen an option that enables me to shuffle/play random tracks from my entire collection (or even against a specific artist for example). It looks like I have to play tracks sequentially, which is a bit annoying if I've got a load of albums for a given artist but just want it to randomly play rather than manually change tracks forward and back if I want some variety.

Hopefully I've just missed the option in there somewhere (seems to be tons of options in this system compared to what I've been used to before!)?

Also, is there any way to mute what's playing, without having to reach over and push the volume button in?

Finally, is there a way of turning off the centre display (so nothing is shown at least), and if so, does this stop any music etc that was playing?

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi Starnzy, congrats on the new Cooper!

Random is found in Options. Whatever list of music you have (I.e. all tracks or an artist search), whilst playing just navigate right (or push Options button) and scroll down the options, random is there, click to tick!

You can turn 'Control Display' off in the same menu, which is the term for the screen ('Central Display' is in fact the led light ring around the display!)

Hope that helps :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MINIkiter,

Great, I will give that a go. If I do turn off the 'Control Display', does it essentially power off the whole unit so any music that was playing, will stop?

Is there an alternative way to mute, other than pressing the main volume button below the control display? I couldn't seem to find a way of doing it on the steering wheel.

I'm quite surprised there doesn't appear to be a way to fast forward through a music track using the up & down buttons on the steering wheel (i.e. holding them down quickly changes through all the tracks, rather than fast forward/rewinding the current track). I see you can do it via the left and right arrow buttons on the actual main unit but a little annoying not being able to do it on the wheel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi, pretty sure the music plays on, media system/computer is still running, just the screen goes black... screen saver like on a PC (nice at night maybe). Hitting control button puts it back on I believe.

No other mute button that I've found no, Voice button on steering wheel of course momentarily pauses/mutes the music, but resumes if no input.

Similarly, only the main center control buttons seek within a track.

I was a little disappointed with the wheel audio controls, but got used to it now. The Cruise on the other side is excellent though!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks!

Yes, the Cruise Control buttons on the wheel are spot-on. This is my first car with CC and am loving it :)

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
The central button stops playback and mutes any noise .

To forward through a track rather than skip it simply hold down the arrow button forward or reverse firmly either on the steering whel or next to the numbered buttons on the central disply. A single press moves tracks keeping it depressed runs fast forward or rewind. Simple!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The central button stops playback and mutes any noise .

To forward through a track rather than skip it simply hold down the arrow button forward or reverse firmly either on the steering whel or next to the numbered buttons on the central disply. A single press moves tracks keeping it depressed runs fast forward or rewind. Simple!
I got it working using the arrow buttons on the central display but, despite thinking I was pushing firmly on the steering wheel arrow buttons, it just seemed to whiz through the tracks rather than seeking forward/back on the current track. Maybe I wasn't pushing firm enough? I'll give it another try today.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tested it out but no matter how firmly I push on the up and down arrows on the steering wheel, it doesn't seek through the current track, it just rapidly skips through the next/previous tracks. Only seems to work when using the left and right arrows on the centre console.

Also, I just noticed that the 'Random' option only works when using those left & right arrow buttons on the centre console. The up and down arrows on the steering wheel appear to ignore the 'Random' setting.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I tested it out but no matter how firmly I push on the up and down arrows on the steering wheel, it doesn't seek through the current track, it just rapidly skips through the next/previous tracks. Only seems to work when using the left and right arrows on the centre console.

Also, I just noticed that the 'Random' option only works when using those left & right arrow buttons on the centre console. The up and down arrows on the steering wheel appear to ignore the 'Random' setting.
I can confirm this Starnzy, BTW there's only one 'pressure' on those particular buttons on the wheel! Don't go breaking them :) Mine don't 'seek' either. Also I've noticed the same about the 'next track sequence' - on the centre controls or the joystick, skipping track follows the random order, but the wheel still goes to the next track in the playlist (either album order or alphabetical depending on your search.)

This is possibly different with iPhones, because I think 'Random' with them actually randomises the playlist itself, whereas with USB the list remains as per the search or selection, and only plays the next track at random. This is in the manual somewhere!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.