Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple very minor rattles, like most i get annoyed so i went searching.

For the rattles in the back i removed everything in the back. Removed even the small flaps on the side. Lowered the seats.
Let someone else drive slowly on stone road.

Got my car stethoscope. Stuck my head everywhere. Lokalized the sound behind the small flaps right and left.

Then with the stethoscope after searching i found the rattles come from the seatbelt rolls for the back seats.

I can't see anything loose, so must be coming from the inside.

My question, has anybody else noticed small rattling sound from the back or even found it coming from the seatbelt rolls and solved the rattling?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, in my case the sound was coming from the numberplate (that plastic one), so a quick dual-sided tape fixed the issue. There are still some sounds and it sometimes drives me mad (I'm coming from F15 X5), but I guess this is something that comes with the car of this level.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Since the temperature at night has dipped below freezing I get a few creaks and groans from the plastic bits in the morning but after it's all warmed up they go away. The only ongoing noise is from the chrome button on the parking brake handle of all things. At certain speeds it rattles and drives me bonkers, that one is getting sorted out the next time it goes in for service.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yep mine does the same thing temp dropped and the rattles started coming from all over. I guess building a Mini every 60 seconds the rattles are free of charge with that hefty MSRP.:eek::eek::D
Luckily we in the desert only have a few weeks of freezing temps. It was 28ºF the other day when I left the house and this morning it was 50ºF, less rattles too! Well, except for that damned parking brake button...

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
266 Posts
Eem, i was wrong :D.

Although i had the right point, high on wheel case, it wasn't the belt, but the shock absorbers.
They have changed them, and the sound is gone!
oops :) Good to know they have located and resolved the rattle for you though!

·
Registered
890 Posts
It seems to be the non-adjustable rear dampers that can clonk or rattle, and they just change them for the same type, as far as I know.

Mine were done over a year ago, I presumed any flaw in manufacture would have been put right by now?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Heck, I am half deaf from not wearing hearing protection while shooting skeet, etc. Driving fast little cars, motorcycles, jet engines, etc., etc. ad nauseum. So, rattles aren't a biggie for me. And, if you drive like they are meant to be, JCWs anyway, your passenger won't notice due to the screaming! Have fun, drive fast, and if you actually drive fast enough you might go back in time!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Get your rear shocks checked out. Mine were faulty since new and were replaced because they were leaking. 8000 miles on though and i think they're onthe wsy out again :( need to get it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it the back shocks only? Are the front ones different? Is there an easy wat for us to check the shocks out selves? I hope they are different from the originals. Otherwise they will give problems for shure in short time again.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My dealer purchased CHASSIS EARS to pinpoint the problem. They never had them before that and now they use them all the time for rattles. You can buy them on amazon. My ears are well tuned in to the noise and when it'll occur, i know now when it'll happen just by looking at the road! I wondered about buying upgraded, aftermarket shocks, but sod it, why should i be out of pocket. This is now the 2nd winter, i wonder if this is just a coincidence...does something (seals or suchlike) contract in cold, causing them to leak?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am still babying my F55 since it is less than a month old but I have already "noticed" some clunk, clunk sounds coming from the rear when I took off from traffic lights and turned left in the 2nd gear. Might be the removable floor (storage package thing) but I am all ear now:(

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
This is only noticable on non asphalt roads. To be shure you have to remove everything from your trunk. Also this is a adaptive suspension thing mostly that i know of.
Nope. Asphalt roads too. I have the sport suspension. I don't have the storage option so no false floor and my boot is empty. If they decide to replace my shocks I plan to ask them if they'll apply the cost of replacement to a set of JCW Pro coil overs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.