Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's that time again, whereby my rear brake pads are complaining that they're wearing out...

Currently about to hit 22k miles, so the 2nd set have lasted about the same as the first, at 11k a set... :(
I don't fancy paying Mini £200 for the privilege this time round, so will replace them myself.

Which brings me onto my question - What replacement pads have people used?

Stuck with OEM pads?
Or used after-market? I've used EBC pads on a couple of previous cars and they felt pretty good, so might see if they do a set for the SD...

And I presume the wear sensors just clip out and in when replacing the pads?

Cheers
Gav

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Yes i think the wear sensor just pulls out don't forget to get a new one (if same as r56).when i did my r56 i bought pagid from eurocarparts. Great price and nice feel and quality.def wouldnt buy oem! Overpriced.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do you not need to reset the service indicator when the pads light comes on? My service indicator is saying a neagtive mileage yet the car was serviced a couple weeks ago, when I took it back they said this was because the rear pads were still showing as needing replacement

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Yes think so; not done it on fseries yet but remove sensor (only one) replace pads insert new sensor reset computer-there is a link on here on how it's done-holding the trip meter button and switching ignition on gets you in to the service menu from memory but someone who has done it will correct me if wrong.
PS don't forget the rears are wind in pads, not push back like the fronts-either a wind in tool about £16 from eurocarparts or may be less on ebay, or a clark block that attaches with little prongs to a socket wrench or if you are careful some pointy pliers-but one slip and your dust boot could be toast!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Was just about to say I'm almost at 12k miles without any brake pad change, then realised BMW replaced mine to rectify squeaky brakes.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Did 14k in my cooper (f56) and there was loads of pad material left as measured at its first service- if i remember rightly 1/3 down- 6mm from 9mm so i was expecting around 35k miles before i replaced them-about right i thought!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I haven't heard anything good from EBC in regards to the R** series cars so cannot comment if it's the same as the F56.
I also had pagid for the wife's car and never had a problem. Brilliant and cheap.
The brake sensor needs replacing if it gets tripped and the service indicator needs resetting.
Previously, I would check the brakes myself and I tied up the sensor to the strut with cable ties, never need a new one that way as it would never get tripped. And doesn't take much to look through the wheel every now and then.
For previous mini recommendations were, Mintex and ferrodo.
I hope that makes sense and just my personal experience.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Thats a great idea re the sensor Jordan never thought of that!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere that cruise control uses the rear brakes to maintain speeds!

if you use it a lot it might be the answer or something is sticking!

If mine only does 11,000 miles and need changing I won't be happy..

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere that cruise control uses the rear brakes to maintain speeds!

if you use it a lot it might be the answer or something is sticking!

If mine only does 11,000 miles and need changing I won't be happy..
I've read that too. My 2015 MCS just hit 27,000 miles and hasn't needed brakes yet. But I only use cruise control when driving between states on the highway, so maybe once or twice every couple of months.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The electronic stability control which is always active unless deactivated by the driver also uses the brakes to help stabilise the car if required.

So the brakes could be chattering away at the back without the driver being aware, and the rear pads are thinner to start with so may well wear out sooner than expected, in particular on twisty roads with spirited driving.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine isn't about to go in for the rear pads this weekend at just over 18,000 miles, light only came on around 600 miles ago so by he sounds of it mine have done fairly well!

·
Registered
404 Posts
It does indeed - I've experienced it doing so. You do have to be cruising down a slope that would otherwise allow the car to overspeed even with engine braking, so it doesn't happen often (depends how hilly it is where you use cruise I guess!) The most annoying thing is that it can sometimes slow you down to a couple of MPH less than the dialled in speed. So if you're in a queue rolling down a big long hill, you look like that plonker who can't maintain a constant speed and get the guy behind piling up our boot! Good news is you can drop a gear and the cruise doesn't cancel.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It does indeed - I've experienced it doing so. You do have to be cruising down a slope that would otherwise allow the car to overspeed even with engine braking, so it doesn't happen often (depends how hilly it is where you use cruise I guess!) The most annoying thing is that it can sometimes slow you down to a couple of MPH less than the dialled in speed. So if you're in a queue rolling down a big long hill, you look like that plonker who can't maintain a constant speed and get the guy behind piling up our boot! Good news is you can drop a gear and the cruise doesn't cancel.
i have also noticed this... bugs the crap out of me..

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Cruise control is the only reason I still have a driver's license. >:D
So I got this gnarly radar and laser detector. Laser is just bam-you're-busted but the thing will generally chirp a bit as it detects stray K and Ka band radar in the area, before you are in the gendarme's sights proper. Not knowing if I'm being stalked by a cop or a convenience store door, I will set the cruise and try to ignore the idiots piling up behind me as I proceed at a nice law-abiding 45 mph.

Cruise has saved my veggie bacon many times as I have seen Mr. Officer nail somebody near me. And apart from running from The Law, it was helpful on a recent huge Road Trip as I devoured miles of empty landscape traversing states the size of medium European countries. MINI Excitement can only do so much when you've been traveling in a straight line for 4 hours. Set cruise and try to stay alert.

Back when I was a fearless Honda Civic Hybrid pilot, I set cruise to travel the distance between stoplights, so numb was the driving experience.

Anyway. Yeah, Brake Pads! What were we talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
One thing about the cruise that I believe could effect the wear life..... On all my other vehicles I would set the cruise control and if traffic was moving faster or I wanted to speed up for a short stretch I just hit the gas and ran with the traffic flow. When the traffic thinned out I would let off the gas and coast down to the cruise speed that was previously set. I'm wondering if when you do this in the Mini that the bake is constantly trying to slow you down. I do know when you let off the gas it will quickly slow you to the set cruise speed. As a rule, after researching the CC on the 56, I hit cancel on the cruise control before doing any accelerating.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Brake pad wear is all subject to how you are driving. 16k of stop and start town driving is going to use the brakes a lot more that 16k of motorway cruising. It's not really comparable. My stock pads are naff so I'm going to look at upgrading to something abit more performance orientated, but there doesn't seem much about?!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts