Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to all,

I bought a 2017 Mini Clubman S 4x4 in the US and now I have to move to Europe, and I want to take my Mini with me, but rear fog lights are required by European regulations.
My Mini Clubman has the lights and they are used as emergency brake lights.

Does anyone know how to do it?
Sure I'll have to install the fog light switch, but this is the easy part I think.

· Premium Member
168 Posts
Hi @fogaricam111, I enabled the rear fog lights on my '21 F56 and did a write-up about the process on NAM Forums.

Yup, a new light control element is needed and after the fog lights have to be coded using BimmerCode :)
- I believe the coding should be the same for the F54 and the overall process including installation and coding was super quick.

Keep us posted and good luck with the move -Rich

· Registered
2014 MCS Thunder Gray Hatch
155 Posts
I'm confused, mine has the rear fog lights and button and it's a US vehicle. They function as they should by pushing the rear fog light button. Is that technically only a Europe spec

· Premium Member
168 Posts
@LoJac963 MINI offered rear fog lights as an option for US models on the earlier F series.

I believe the option was removed towards the end of 2015 into 2016.

However, the wiring and bulbs are installed from factory since certain markets require rear fog lights.

In the US you just need the light control element with rear fog light button and BimmerCode to enable them.

MINI really should have kept this as an option -Rich

· Registered
155 Posts
@LoJac963 MINI offered rear fog lights as an option for US models on the earlier F series.

I believe the option was removed towards the end of 2015 into 2016.

However, the wiring and bulbs are installed from factory since certain markets require rear fog lights.

In the US you just need the light control element with rear fog light button and BimmerCode to enable them.

MINI really should have kept this as an option -Rich
Gotcha, makes sense. Most manufactures do the same. Less costly than changing manufacturing lines. I like having them since no one where I'm at can drive worth the hell and the rear fogs are pretty bright

· Premium Member
168 Posts
Hi FOG,

BimmerCode is available on iOS and Android and cost $39.99.

You do need to purchase an OBD adapter, there are many compatible ones that range in prices and can be purchased right from Amazon.

Here is the BimmerCode site to see all the features and adapters. You can code many options and it’s totally worth the price :)

Have a great holiday -Rich

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Richs,

I saw that there are 2 different apps for iOS, one called "BimmerCode for BMW and Mini" which is free and the other called "BimmerLink for BMW and Mini" for $35.99, so that was my question, which one do I want? code for the rear fog lights, but from your answer I understand that I need to buy BimmerLink and a compatible OBD adapter, right?

Thanks Richs

· Premium Member
168 Posts
Hi FOG,

Yup, you will be downloading BimmerCode for BMW and MINI

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Automotive exterior

The app is free to download however, the full version is a one time In-App p

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

As for OBD adapters a lot of BMW/MINI owners go with Veepeak

As for connecting/pairing to your MINI and first time coding there are many videos on YouTube to watch first.

I hope this helps -Rich

· Registered
155 Posts
BimmerCode is just that, for coding various adaptations to the vehicle including what you are looking to do. BimmerLink is for deeper issues such as deeper errors. For example, I removed my seats before the car shut off when I first bought it and it through 4 codes related to the passenger airbag/restraint system. BimmerLink can get deeper into the system to reset those codes and get all the systems back up and running. It also allows one to install a new battery and reset the battery monitor. They are both useful but have their own purpose. I have both programs for mine

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Rich,
I finally got the light control switch with the rear fog button, so I changed and with Bimmercode and Veepeak OBDCheck I coded as you told me, and... It works

Car Automotive design Grey Personal luxury car Auto part
Speedometer Trip computer Tachometer Gauge Motor vehicle
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire

Thank you very much Rich and all the members of this forum for sharing their knowledge with all of us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts